shortnun Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='scardella' date='Nov 8 2005, 05:03 PM']I don't know, but I willn't attempt to speculate... [right][snapback]782818[/snapback][/right] [/quote] 'Won't' is an exception. And anyone who recalls Language Arts class will recall that there are exceptions to every grammar rule. [i]Technically[/i], according to the rules, it would be wo'n't. The missing letters being UND and O. Yeah, wacky. [quote name='Paphnutius' date='Nov 8 2005, 06:23 PM']Just curious...anyone use the word aint? If so, where does that apostrophe go? [right][snapback]782926[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Another rule breaker.... Ain't is a contraction originally for "am not", but now typically can mean "is not", "am not", or "are not".
toledo_jesus Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 y'all is correct, but ya'll is more fun to type. try it. it just...ya'll
dspen2005 Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 ok, lemme try..... ya'll... ya'll... nope... i'm not finding joy in typing it...... c'mon y'all, don't listen to this man...
Jazz4jesus Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 (edited) Its not grammaticlly correct. you cant use it a paper, so whats the point on how it spells spell it the way you wish i hope YALL have fun Edited November 9, 2005 by Jazz4jesus
Sojourner Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 You can fit a lot of questionable words into papers if you use them in direct quotations. I've quoted people saying everything from Y'all and Gonna to much ... bluer language.
photosynthesis Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 couldn't you use "y'all" to mean "you all" and "ya'll" for "you all will?"
missionseeker Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 From a girl in Alabama Y'all. and what's wrong fixin' to? lol I only say "ain't" when I am really emphasizing something.
franciscanheart Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='Colleen' date='Nov 8 2005, 08:58 PM']It's ya'll, ya'll. Believe me, I'm a convert to "ya'll." Being a Midwestern girl, I never really used the term until I started conversing with a certain Southern gentleman. He corrected me when I would spell it "y'all." Apparently, that's incorrect. Now, being a Northerner, I thought that "y" stood for "you." But I was informed that this was not the case, because according to a certain Southern gentleman, the "y" actually stands for "ya." So the contraction really should be "ya'll" as in "ya all." Or so I'm told. Don't believe me? Read [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=23416"]this thread[/url]. (Wow, it's exactly a year and a day old. Really odd coincidence. ) [right][snapback]783195[/snapback][/right] [/quote] no offense to this southern boy... but he's wrong. ya all first of all is not even correct english and i would dare say not a word. it's y'all. being an english major i'd think you'd be less easily convinced. as far as the boy... ill convince him.
Jazz4jesus Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 yea im fixin to go get me some food, yall wanna join me?
photosynthesis Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 but y'all isn't standard english either.
franciscanheart Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 8 2005, 11:42 PM']but y'all isn't standard english either. [right][snapback]783351[/snapback][/right] [/quote] right. it's a contraction of standard english.
journeyman Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 (edited) Howdy, All y'all have way too much time on your hands ... isn't there homework to be done; papers to write; soup kitchens to staff; habitats to be built; oceans to pollute; heathens to pillage (or convert); vittles to inhale; dogs to hunt; fine china to knock cattawumpus . . . I've got a hankering for some particular knowledge and I'm fixin' to bore you to death with a heap of sources: [url="http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=y'all"]Etymology courtesy of Etymology On Line[/url] [url="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/you_all"]Etymology courtesy of Wiktionary[/url] [url="http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/linguist/issues/4/4-694.html"]Mentioned in passing on a linguist discussion forum on the phrase OK[/url] [url="http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401b&L=ads-l&D=1&F=&S=&P=1196"]Another linguist chimes in[/url] [url="http://littlerock.about.com/cs/southernlife/a/aasouthslang.htm"]Amanda Galiano's Guide to Southern Slang (Arkansas bias)[/url] now that the polls are closed, there are also elections to fix Edited November 9, 2005 by journeyman
qfnol31 Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:17 PM'][b]Y'ALL[/b] common sense people. the comma goes where the omitted letters once were. y'all is the contraction for 'you all'. the 'o' and 'u' are omitted from the word 'you' therefore the apostrophe will be placed after the 'y' and before the 'a'. very simple really. [right][snapback]782758[/snapback][/right] [/quote] What about ya and all? Ya're from Texas so I know you know how that goes. : Plus, if you look at the language from years ago you'll see the same pronunciation there too.
qfnol31 Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='photosynthesis' date='Nov 8 2005, 11:22 PM']couldn't you use "y'all" to mean "you all" and "ya'll" for "you all will?" [right][snapback]783326[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Ya'll will is actually really odd. It's ya'll'll. 'cept there ain't an apostrophe somewhere.
qfnol31 Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Nov 8 2005, 11:35 PM']no offense to this southern boy... but he's wrong. ya all first of all is not even correct english and i would dare say not a word. it's y'all. being an english major i'd think you'd be less easily convinced. as far as the boy... ill convince him. [right][snapback]783341[/snapback][/right] [/quote] Laura, bein' from Texas I don't expect you to understand this, but your state ain't really all that far South. I'm from the deep South, which means Georgia. They talk kinda like Miss Jennie, but sometimes more of a draw. Believe me when I say it's ya and all. Have 'ny of you yungin's read Miss Stowe? I betcha you'll pick up the language from her.
franciscanheart Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 yeah yeah yeah ... im not from the south. now that we can agree on that.... IM FROM TEXAS. I KNOW EVERYTHING. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ehem.... (j/k) i believe that many people believe that it is contracted that way but im telling you (and this is pretty bad) i was taught in school (and its pretty much common sense) that the comma goes between the y and a. frankly when i utter the word 'ya' as you call it, i dont consider myself to be pronouncing the a. its more of the "y' gunna do it or am i gunna hafta do it?" kinda thing.... y'know? [btw i agree with you on the y'all'll]
sweetpea316 Posted November 13, 2005 Posted November 13, 2005 Everytime I see that word now (which is A LOT), I stop and check the spelling! Haha...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 13, 2005 Posted November 13, 2005 Jennie is the best Southerner on this phorum.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now