Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which is spelled correctly  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Posted

Down in New Orleans we have I guess what is a local variation on the spelling. Most people I have talked to who use the word (people from Texas, Mississippi, Florida, Virginia) all seem to spell it "y'all." However, most people back home (me included) spell it ya'll. To me this makes more sense. You for us has already become "ya" ex. "how ya doing?" Given this when adding the word "all" to the phrase, it makes no sense to say the second a sound so it is replaced with a " ' " and thus the word "ya'll" is formed. This seems to me to be the more logical way of spelling since normally the vowel on the second word is taken out in contractions such as "they're, isn't, can't etc." but I am willing to accept it as a local variation (although the right variation in keeping with the pattern of english grammar by in large for contractions) ;-)

Posted

couldn't that be confused with "you'll"?

Posted (edited)

y'all :mellow:

Edited by Hilde
Nihil Obstat
Posted (edited)

How about y'all're, as in "y'all're wack"? :mellow:


Hehe...... all y'all're wack. :lol:

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Maximilianus
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='27 March 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1269722826' post='2081517']
How about y'all're, as in "y'all're wack"? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img]


Hehe...... all y'all're wack. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]
[/quote]
It would start out that way then evolve into "y'aller"
"y'aller wack"

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='27 March 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1269731107' post='2081594']
It would start out that way then evolve into "y'aller"
"y'aller wack"
[/quote]
Hopefully with enough time that's just one big word:

Yallerwack.

Posted

yea....i'm fixin' to go to bed

LouisvilleFan
Posted

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='27 March 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1269714110' post='2081401']
Shouldn't it be "Florence, Y'All"?
[/quote]

Not sure... although the water tower is all CAPS, which fixes any capitalization questions :) If it were mixed case, though, I believe it would still be "Y'all" because the conjunction serves a single word, so only the first letter of the word would be capital.

Posted

Actually, I was more concerned with the punctuation.

laetitia crucis
Posted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='26 March 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1269654722' post='2081035']
I was going to post a pic of the Florence water tower if somebody hadn't beaten me to it! The funny part about it is Florence is hardly Southern (it's a Cincinnati suburb, definitely not a Kentucky backwater town like Lexington), but it's apparently the only city in the South that has "Y'all" plastered all over its water tower. :)

The story I heard is that the issue wasn't so much the copyright but the fact that the Florence Mall is a private business that was getting free advertising on public property. I reckon the mall didn't want to pay for the advertising, and the City of Florence didn't want to buy paint.
[/quote]

:lol: Your story makes more sense to me.

You know, I have always found it really amusing that Florence in considered a suburb of Cincinnati since Florence is in Kentucky... like the Cincinnati Airport which is not in Cincinnati, Ohio, but in Kentucky. :huh:

One of my good friends that is from northern Kentucky (somewhere near Florence) would always say she was "from Cincinnati" and I would always annoyingly point out that she was NOT from Ohio, but Kentucky. :P :lol:

Anyhoo... that was all quite a bit of rambling. :blush: I guess I still don't quite understand the whole Florence = "Cincinnati suburb" thing, especially since that would cover two different states. (Kind of like Kansas City... :mellow: ) It always seemed like those from that area of Northern Kentucky didn't want to admit they were from Kentucky. (Though you can totally tell once they speak. :hehe: )

laetitia crucis
Posted

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='27 March 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1269731107' post='2081594']
It would start out that way then evolve into "y'aller"
"y'aller wack"
[/quote]

Maybe like "Jeet yet?"

:mellow: :twitch:

LouisvilleFan
Posted (edited)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 March 2010 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1269823106' post='2082290']
:lol: Your story makes more sense to me.

You know, I have always found it really amusing that Florence in considered a suburb of Cincinnati since Florence is in Kentucky... like the Cincinnati Airport which is not in Cincinnati, Ohio, but in Kentucky. :huh:

One of my good friends that is from northern Kentucky (somewhere near Florence) would always say she was "from Cincinnati" and I would always annoyingly point out that she was NOT from Ohio, but Kentucky. :P :lol:

Anyhoo... that was all quite a bit of rambling. :blush: I guess I still don't quite understand the whole Florence = "Cincinnati suburb" thing, especially since that would cover two different states. (Kind of like Kansas City... :mellow: ) It always seemed like those from that area of Northern Kentucky didn't want to admit they were from Kentucky. (Though you can totally tell once they speak. :hehe: )
[/quote]

Well, they are more Yankee than Southern, and they do think they are better than us ;)

But seriously, it's just easier to say you're from the biggest city people have actually heard of. I have a cousin who lives outside Vancouver, WA, right across the river from Portland, OR. Not many people know of the Vancouver in Washington, so instead of explaining that I didn't go to Canada, it's easier to say Portland.

Besides, the Cincinnati Metro Area includes most of Northern Kentucky and part of Indiana, so their snubbing of Kentucky is justified in that sense. Many of us in Louisville think we're in a state of our own too ;)

Speaking of the Cincy airport... there's an awesome Catholic parish, Mary Queen of Heaven, just a few minutes away in Hebron.

Edited by LouisvilleFan
LouisvilleFan
Posted

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 March 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1269823282' post='2082291']
Maybe like "Jeet yet?"

:mellow: :twitch:
[/quote]

Y'on-to?!

desertwoman
Posted

Y'all.

Super plural... All Y'all.

Nihil Obstat
Posted (edited)

Maybe it's a hybrid form of English with a singular, *dual* (y'all), and plural (all y'all). :woot:

Edited by Nihil Obstat
tinytherese
Posted

Y'all come back now, yuh hear.

Saint Therese
Posted

Y'all are funny.

Posted

This thread is older than Rexi

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...