An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestantism is Heresy.

Ziggamafu

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Dec 5 2005, 07:43 AM']no, whatever is [i]contradictory[/i] to catholicism is "bad" ;)

sola scriptura: "bad"
sola fide: "bad"
OSAS: "bad"

you get the idea....
i would agree with this as long as the Church does not lose her distinctly Catholic identity and her doctrines are not watered-down in the process.
praise God......
[right][snapback]811682[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

most protestants use the wesylan quad if they think for themselves, or their own denoms teaching otherwise. Sola scripture is not used much, scripture prima is more often used, but catholics can play that game also.

sola fide..I heard it went extinct with disco..read the joint declaration..;)

most protestants dont believe in OSAS, remember Im an open theist. OSAS doesnt work there. Ironically it works within thomists..;)

To post 139: Yeah. Revprodeji was on the fast track as a Protestant. He was personally discipled by one of the biggest names in Evangelical Protestantism, Gregory Boyd. He had a ticket wherever he wanted to go.

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Dec 5 2005, 07:54 AM']<sigh>

you never cease to amaze me

i'm off to bed

pax christi,
phatcatholic
[right][snapback]811690[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What do you mean?

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Dec 4 2005, 08:33 PM']In our own time the impact of John Paul II and Mother Teresa stands out in my mind. I cant' think of any protestants who would seem to be in this class.

When I read your post a few names popped into my mind. But I don't really think it's fair to compare. But for what its worth:

I would like to see a catholic with the impact of a cs lewis
St Augustine
St Thomas
St Gregory the Great

or the devotions of a Max luciado.
St Faustina
St Teresa of Avila
St Francis de Sales

Or someone who steps up fast yet understandable like a Greg Boyd.
Cardinal Newman
Chesterton
Irenaeus

A historian with no prejudice like Mark Noll,
Christopher Dawson

or an eccesilogy ecumenist like Braaten
Dulles
Johann Mohler

a pneumatologist like Yancy.
St Basil
Kolbe

I mean really as a hybrid I see this but pentacostals for what they lack in generally everything they slaughter in their awareness of the spirt and the gifts that He blesses with.
St Benedict
St John of the Cross
Padre Pio

Besides L.T.J. who steped up against the Jesus Seminar?
Countless Catholic scholars have engaged the Jesus Seminar quacks.
[right][snapback]810918[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hey...that's AWESOME!!! I don't suppose you could give me the best (most commended / famous) book by each of these people??? Pleeeeeeeeease?

Here's an interesting idea: what beliefs did you have to turn your back on (that you really believed) when you became Catholic:

1) Charismatic Apostolic Authority
2) Soul Slumber
3) Women Clergy
4) Birth Control

And, I'm still learning!

FWIW

[quote]VATICAN CITY, NOV. 8, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See says that it is not possible to belong simultaneously to the Catholic Church and to a Protestant community.

A communiqué published today by Vatican spokesman Joaquín Navarro Valls clarified news which appeared in the German press, according to which Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger allegedly agreed that exegete Klaus Berger of Heidelberg was at the same time a Catholic and a Protestant.

According to this information, Berger, a Catholic, by participating in 1968 in the Protestant Supper became a "member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church."

German press articles claimed that Cardinal Ratzinger, now Benedict XVI, had precise knowledge of "the matter in its formal aspects" and "raised no objections."

"This assertion is false," Vatican spokesman Navarro Valls said today. The Pope had "no knowledge of a dual confessional identity."

Not having this information, "the cardinal had no reason to take up a position on the question of Mr. Berger's confessional identity and, indeed, he never pronounced himself on the subject," affirmed the director of the Vatican press office.

The Vatican note states that the norms of canon law, which exclude simultaneous membership in the Catholic Church and a Protestant community, "remain in full force without exception, and are therefore also valid in this case."

"The Church cannot obtain any dispensation from this rule," stated the communiqué, "not even in the sacrament of penance."[/quote]

There is a legitimate sense in which a convert can, as I said before, retain the confessional emphasis of his former tradition. But still, one must be careful first of all to subject any and all emphasis to the contents of the Catholic faith, and also, I think, to be careful about expressing this continuity in too thoughtless a manner, lest Catholics who do not come from a convert background are scandalized by a perceived relativism and undue homogenization. There has been a lot of ecumenical misdirection the past 40 years in the particular Churches, and I think we need to respect the sensibilities of those who have had to endure it.

[quote name='The Joey-O' date='Dec 5 2005, 07:59 AM']Here's an interesting idea: what beliefs did you have to turn your back on (that you really believed) when you became Catholic:

1) Charismatic Apostolic Authority
2) Soul Slumber
3) Women Clergy
4) Birth Control

And, I'm still learning!
[right][snapback]811700[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I haven' t even heard of 2 of those... soul slumber? interesting.

[quote name='The Joey-O' date='Dec 5 2005, 07:55 AM']To post 139: Yeah. Revprodeji was on the fast track as a Protestant. He was personally discipled by one of the biggest names in Evangelical Protestantism, Gregory Boyd. He had a ticket wherever he wanted to go.
[right][snapback]811691[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

aww shucks.. :whistle:

the good ol days...why did I switch teams again?

Edited by Revprodeji

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08550a.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08550a.htm[/url]

talks about it there...basically the concept that once you die your soul chills for a while until the final judgment. Joeyo knows more about it cause it was never my issue.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='Dec 5 2005, 06:57 AM']hey...that's AWESOME!!! I don't suppose you could give me the best (most commended / famous) book by each of these people??? Pleeeeeeeeease?
[right][snapback]811698[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i like those names.