An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestantism is Heresy.

Ziggamafu

photosynthesis

eh... for me it's mostly just finals stress and too much homework... i'm working on a creative nonfiction project for school that's really emotionally intense.

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:24 AM']btw, "hybrid" is a copyright term that I am using in a ecumenical book I am working on right now
[right][snapback]811613[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
but doesn't the title "hybrid" imply that a person can somehow be both catholic and protestant? how are these two terms not mutually exclusive?

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:40 AM'];)
[right][snapback]811623[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
is that you answering my question? :blink:

no, its me being tired and trying to do greek hmwk.

on my intro thread I talk about it a bit. Im a product of a broken home with being raised and formally educated in both eccesiologies. Sharpining my teeth in the one, and reverting to the other.

photosynthesis

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:35 AM']but doesn't the title "hybrid" imply that a person can somehow be both catholic and protestant? how are these two terms not mutually exclusive?
[right][snapback]811621[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
that's what I was thinking

Rev, I was brought up in a lukewarm "Catholic" family and then "became a Christian" in college and started doing InterVarsity and going to Protestant Churches. You could say I also came in to the Catholic Church, came to faith in the Protestant Church and then reverted back to the Catholic church. But I made a decision. I decided to be Catholic. To be Catholic is to willfully submit to the teachings of the Catholic Church and to subject yourself to the authority of the Magisterium. You're either submitting to all that the Magisterium teaches to be true, or you're a "cafeteria" Catholic who's not really Catholic at all

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:44 AM']no, its me being tired and trying to do greek hmwk.

on my intro thread I talk about it a bit. Im a product of a broken home with being raised and formally educated in both eccesiologies. Sharpining my teeth in the one, and reverting to the other.
[right][snapback]811629[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i read ur post in the convert thread and it didn't answer my question.

the word "hybrid" implies that one can be both catholic and protestant. how is this possible? is that what you mean to imply by the word?

photo..not to be mean, but I know what it means to be catholic. You have a tendency to talk down on me. I wonder why.

my faith as a protestant was great, so was my theology, I just feel I have come to a better understanding within the rc. That doesnt mean I throw out my faith as a protestant, the dna of what it was that brought me to faith.

no more preaching on this subject..;) Im a hybrid and I hope to never lose that part of my faith

more questions:

do you believe that the Catholic Church possesses the fullness of Truth? are there any Catholic teachings that you do not believe in? if so, what are they?

Edited by phatcatholic

btw, i'm not trying to badger you or subject you to some "litmus test." i'm just trying to understand where you're comin from.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:58 AM']photo..not to be mean, but I know what it means to be catholic. You have a tendency to talk down on me. I wonder why.
[right][snapback]811636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
if it seemed like I was talking down to you, I apologize. I was simply stating that you can't be Catholic and non-Catholic at the same time. if there are elements of a person's beliefs that go against what the Church teaches, that person cannot really call themselves Catholic