An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestantism is Heresy.

Ziggamafu

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='sweetpea316' date='Nov 17 2005, 10:46 AM']Oh wow, thanks for this thread guys. It's something I can definitely relate to at this time in my life. Especially the family aspect of it... I really want to be able to share the greatness of the Catholic Church that I'm now finding with my family too. It's just very hard because of our Protestant background... but who knows. It's a work in progress, (both my converting and sharing with them) and like thessalonian said, might take some time. I dunno what the intent of this thread was meant to be, but it really encouraged me!

Oh, and thessalonian, what is the verse you referred to about children being divided against parents?  I'm definitely interested in reading that...

Thanks so much y'all... God bless.
[right][snapback]792718[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Be conspiciously happy [but not fake] and be very Catholic. :)

[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=19633"]Protestantism as Heresy[/url].....from the Catholic Defense Directory @ Phatmass.

One other note. Scott Hahn spoke of how anti-catholic he was before his long conversion process. How he tore his grandmother's rosary apart and how he thought of that poor woman in hell, though she had helped so many and given out baskets of food to the needy he recalled as a child. God changed his heart and now he is one of the premier defenders of the faith in the country. He was on Dateline last week as a scholar defedning the Biblical story of Jesus. He was excellent.

My mother in law when she found out my wife was becoming Catholic said "your taking yourself and your kids to hell". Three years later she was going to RCIA. My wife was very patient in helping her to see the faith. Only giving her small bits and pieces rather than getting in to knock down drag out fights over it. And we prayed for her daily. There is great hope.

One other book recommendation if I might. Fr. Ralph Raoul's "Winning Souls for Christ" is very good. In it he speaks of detachment which I think is the number one reason we are unbable to convert family members. We're too involved and our love for them does not allow us to see the big picture of God's patience with mankind and not going outside the bounds of their free will. Also realizing that you are not the only ray of light along the path, thouhg you may be an important one. We can drive them away if we do not have a spirit of detachment.

And Madrid's book, "search and rescue" shoule be read by everyone BEFORE they start doing apologetics.

Sweatpea, consider you and your family on my prayer list as well.

Blessings

Edited by thessalonian

It seems to me that in the Catholic view of evangelization where we recognize that we are about planting seeds while understanding God is the final judge there is a certain amount of freedom in knowing that we cannot judge. My impression of Protestant evengelism is that it's almost as if the person isn't converted on the spot he is in hell for all eternity. We must realize we are one cog in the wheel in the process of bringing one to Christ, to the Church. One ray of light where there may be many on their path. A ray in the darkened room of their lives. Perhaps a ray that will cause them to open the curtains and let the morning sun shine in, or perhaps close those curtains for a time to get some more sleep but then later remebering that light and opening those curtains up. We are not the Savior, but simply his messanger. Perhaps only preparing the seedbed. Softening it before the seed gets planted. Or perhaps our part is planting the seed, but as Paul stated, letting Apollos water it and letting the Lord make it grow. Letting another harvest the fruit from the seed we have planted. Realizing after all is said and done, it was all God's grace and power in us and others anyway.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Era Might' date='Nov 14 2005, 09:30 AM']What a coincidence. I just posted something from Benedict XVI in another thread dealing with this question.

As he explains, Protestantism is not heresy in the traditional sense:
He's careful to note that an error "cannot simply become true".  Protestantism, as a Christian entity, has not simply been purified of all error. But it does not have the "obstinacy" that characterized its originators. Heresy is traditionally understood as an obstinate opposition to Catholicism. Protestantism today is not a new obstinate break from the Church. Rather, Protestant believers have received their faith, inherited it, and they do not live as obstinate enemies of the Church, but, as Ratzinger notes, their existence is a "positive ecclesial nature". So while individual points of doctrine Protestants hold may be materially heretical, Protestantism as a living structure is not heresy, but an incomplete, although still positive, Christian body. This means that the average Christian who has been brought up in a Protestant ecclesial community "lives as a believer, not as a heretic". As I said, he is not an obstinate enemy of the Church in the traditional sense. He is a fellow Christian, with whom patient dialogue is key.
[right][snapback]788280[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

HOORAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor Zigg, we came into the Church in the same RCIA class. I think many converts have times in which we get very frustrated with Protestantism and condemn all their churches as cults, I know I have a couple times. Then I calm down and adopt an attitude more in line with the quote above.

• 2 weeks later...

read "is the reformation over"by mark Noll or "Mother church' by Braaten(Dullies even does a review on this)

the theory is that there isnt a protest, the problem is different eccesiological bodies that need to hook back up.

btw, Mark Noll is perhaps the top protestant historian, and Braaten is a catholic eccesiological theologian who works with evangelical/catholic relations. This is also the field I am getting trained to work in

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Dec 2 2005, 10:51 AM']I gotta say, what those Protestants lack in theology, grace, sacraments, etc. they sure make up for in ultimate frizbee skills.
[right][snapback]808395[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You forgot to mention that your avatar is from a friggen' SWEET anime. Tell me you watch the fansubs!

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:51 AM']I gotta say, what those Protestants lack in theology, grace, sacraments, etc. they sure make up for in ultimate frizbee skills.
[right][snapback]808395[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

hate to break the pride button but I would dare say that there are topics or at least theologians that are better in their field than what we have in the church. Remember these are believers that are also givin the gifts of the spirit. I would like to see a catholic with the impact of a cs lewis, or the devotions of a Max luciado. Or someone who steps up fast yet understandable like a Greg Boyd. A historian with no prejudice like Mark Noll, or an eccesilogy ecumenist like Braaten a pneumatologist like Yancy. I mean really as a hybrid I see this but pentacostals for what they lack in generally everything they slaughter in their awareness of the spirt and the gifts that He blesses with. Besides L.T.J. who steped up against the Jesus Seminar? Protestants are hardly lacking in their theology ability :smokey:

oh, and they do slaughter at ultimate frisbee..

does this get me a phisy yet? Or maybe we should make a "hybrid" just to warn people