An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Post That You Have All Been Waiting For....

Freaky Chik

if Sammy could prove the catcheism wrong... what good would that do? You have your faith grounded in the Church fathers who have traditionaly brought to you the catcheism, so how could her mere words prove you wrong?

You could come up to me (which I know you won't) give me cold hard facts that there was no Jesus Christ and that He did not die on the Cross for the remissions of my sins. I would spit at that book and the history you try to show me, my heart has been set and it will never doubt, I believe beyond knowledge.... I believe through intimacy....

-Troops

So... does that give Buddhists an excuse to remain Buddhist? Even though you gave them clear facts that Jesus Christ existed and is the Son of God? I'm sorry, but by what you say on that post, is clearly inline with New Age thinking.

Mullls and Freaky:

Ya know, even Protestantism can be intellectually complex for people.  Like people have said already, it's as simple or complex as YOU make it.  Heck, some of the greatest saints of the Church were simple, unlearned people (e.g. St. Bernadette, St. Faustina, and many more).  They may have lacked intellectual knowledge, but what they DID have was a desire for the Truth.  Truth is truth; it isn't whatever you want truth to be.  And if you search diligently enough for it, hopefully you'll be led to it (if you allow yourself to be).

I agree.

When I was deep into Protestantism, there were many different beliefs and prophecies that seemed to contradict one another. Of course I had a set of my own, I couldn't truely tell which were false or not... since everyone claimed it was from The Bible.

So in a way, Protestantism is complicated too.

I believe the Bible is the complete and inspired Word of God

I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and He is the Lord of my life.

I'll see you in heaven :)

^^^

what he said.

(delurking, it's been a while, how is everyone?)

I guess this question is for everyone, doesnt this and any argument lead us to who Jesus gave the authority of "His" church? What does it mean to you all when he said "whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven and whatever you bind on earth shall be binded in heaven", this was of course after the rock statement to peter. Doesnt this mean his church can change things when it needs to and He'll have its back?

Apostles’ Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father; from thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

Paladin, I dont think catholic is capitolized in the creed, in the creed it truly means universal.

I got it from Catholic Answers. But either way, it is refering to the Universal Church.

well, ask anyone apart from the Catholic church what the universal "catholic" church is, I think it means everyone. The Nicene Creed does not separate the Catholics from the Non-Catholics.

well, ask anyone apart from the Catholic church what the universal "catholic" church is, I think it means everyone.  The Nicene Creed does not separate the Catholics from the Non-Catholics.

Im not sure what your getting at, I was just wondering about the capitolization of the word catholic. P.S. I believe both creeds came from the church.

Well, I thought Paladin was quoting the Apostles' Creed as an argument for separating Catholics from non-Catholics. But since I, and my chuhrch and denomination (like many others), believe in the Apostles' Creed, then I don't see how it does separate us? Sorry if I mis-understood. I consider myself part of the "holy and catholic church". :)

Well, I thought Paladin was quoting the Apostles' Creed as an argument for separating Catholics from non-Catholics.  But since I, and my chuhrch and denomination (like many others), believe in the Apostles' Creed, then I don't see how it does separate us?  Sorry if I mis-understood.  I consider myself part of the "holy and catholic church". :)

dont forget apostalic

The referral to the Church as Catholic with a capital "C" happened after the protestants separated (as I'm sure many are already aware of). The catholic in both creeds should not be capitalized. That portion of the creed is describing what we believe is Christ's church. It is holy, it is one (catholic/universal), and it is apostolic.