Justin86 Posted May 25, 2008 Posted May 25, 2008 Oh never mind. You used his full name. So sue me people, I don't know C. S Lewis' full name. Meh, he was cool, but he was a Protestant wasn't he? Good 'ol C of E, God Save the Queen type, no?
Apotheoun Posted May 25, 2008 Posted May 25, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1541549' date='May 25 2008, 09:52 AM']Protestants are (good) people too[/quote] Yes, they are people, and most are only material, and not formal, heretics.
jeffpugh Posted May 25, 2008 Posted May 25, 2008 May have been said already, but hot stuff's not on the list. I'm sad.
apparent Posted May 25, 2008 Posted May 25, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1541718' date='May 25 2008, 02:40 PM']Yes, they are people, and most are only material, and not formal, heretics. [/quote] In the case of CS Lewis, for instance, your condemnation, of "heretic" hardly fits. Enlighten me, please
Apotheoun Posted May 25, 2008 Posted May 25, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1542093' date='May 25 2008, 05:28 PM']In the case of CS Lewis, for instance, your condemnation, of "heretic" hardly fits. Enlighten me, please[/quote] A material heretic is not culpable for his heresy, because he did not choose to become a heretic. While, on the other hand, a formal heretic is a person who by an act of his will embraces heresy, and because he chooses error over the truth he is culpable for his heresy. I myself, because I was raised from childhood as a Protestant, was a material heretic, but by the grace of God I converted to Catholicism at the age of 25.
apparent Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1542107' date='May 25 2008, 08:40 PM']A material heretic is not culpable for his heresy, because he did not choose to become a heretic. While, on the other hand, a formal heretic is a person who by an act of his will embraces heresy, and because he chooses error over the truth he is culpable for his heresy. I myself, because I was raised from childhood as a Protestant, was a material heretic, but by the grace of God I converted to Catholicism at the age of 25.[/quote] And if the Protestant, “CS Lewis” inspirers my Christian understanding, does that make me a heretic too?
Apotheoun Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1542188' date='May 25 2008, 06:11 PM']And if the Protestant, “CS Lewis” inspirers my Christian understanding, does that make me a heretic too?[/quote] No, and why would that follow from anything that I have said so far in this thread? To become a heretic you have to embrace heresy.
apparent Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1541718' date='May 25 2008, 02:40 PM']Yes, they are people, and most are only material, and not formal, heretics. [/quote] this one
Apotheoun Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1542284' date='May 25 2008, 07:18 PM']this one[/quote] That was just a simple statement of fact. Protestantism is a heresy, and so those who follow it are either material or formal heretics.
apparent Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1542291' date='May 25 2008, 10:20 PM']That was just a simple statement of fact. Protestantism is a heresy, and so those who follow it are either material or formal heretics.[/quote] It sounds a little harsh when you put it that way.
Apotheoun Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1542306' date='May 25 2008, 07:31 PM']It sounds a little harsh when you put it that way.[/quote] Harsh or not, it is the truth. I converted to Catholicism once I realized that Protestantism is a heresy.
picchick Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [u][i][b]I[/b][/i][/u] am the greatest Church Scholar on phatmass.
Apotheoun Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1542318' date='May 25 2008, 07:36 PM'][u][i][b]I[/b][/i][/u] am the greatest Church Scholar on phatmass.[/quote] And also the most humble!
picchick Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1542319' date='May 25 2008, 09:37 PM']And also the most humble! [/quote] Totally. Edited May 26, 2008 by picchick
Justin86 Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 (edited) [quote name='apparent' post='1541549' date='May 26 2008, 01:52 AM']Protestants are (good) people too[/quote] Except we weren't debating who's who on the list of the Good People of the World, you brought his name up in a debate over who is the Greatest Church Scholar. Since he was not a Catholic I don't think you have much of a case. [quote name='apparent' post='1542306' date='May 26 2008, 11:31 AM']It sounds a little harsh when you put it that way.[/quote] The word "heretic" only has negative connotations because our society is so obsessed with the dictatorship of relativism we can no longer stand anyone telling anyone else they are wrong. Once you realize that there is only one God, and therefore there can ultimately only be one truth you start not taking as much of offense to the word. Edited May 26, 2008 by Justin86
Justin86 Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1542318' date='May 26 2008, 11:36 AM'][u][i][b]I[/b][/i][/u] am the greatest Church Scholar on phatmass.[/quote] Meh, I still sent you in exile to Jupiter. Have fun over there.
Justin86 Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 Only if you're referring to the Church of England. Not to any other church.
Apotheoun Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 The "Church of England" is not a true particular Church; instead, it is what is called an [i]ecclesial community[/i].
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now