prose Posted April 27, 2006 Posted April 27, 2006 [quote]Maybe now that there's a chat room, there'll be less silliness in OM? [/quote] I certainly hope that silliness isn't banned. that's half the reason I come here!!
homeschoolmom Posted April 27, 2006 Posted April 27, 2006 No, I didn't mean to imply that... but perhaps rather than starting a thread about being bored, people will PM someone and suggest they go to the chat room.
OverheadNite Posted April 27, 2006 Posted April 27, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='963301' date='Apr 27 2006, 04:19 PM'] Maybe now that there's a chat room, there'll be less silliness in OM? [/quote] Yea but I thought OM's purpose was for silliness? Hmmm. I just saw that mow my lawn thing for $5... oh well. I suppose if you don't want their to be anymore slliness, you should perhaps delete the open mic all together. Thats the only real way to get people to use this to talk about all areas of faith and nothing more.
Fidei Defensor Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 I think that this traditional and all purpose similie applies here:
franciscanheart Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 Nah, silliness just needs to go to Creepy Aliens. There's a difference though between creating a lax atmosphere, and creating a second creepy alien board.
franciscanheart Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 Yeah that's what it was. "Stupid board" (in my previous posts) = "Lame board" What was the full name of that board anyway?
scardella Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='hugheyforlife' post='963344' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:05 PM'] Nah, silliness just needs to go to Creepy Aliens. There's a difference though between creating a lax atmosphere, and creating a second creepy alien board. [/quote] Then what's the open mic for? I find the Creepy Alien board too creepy and random. As far as I could tell, open mic was more the "adult lounge" and Creepy Aliens were the "kid/teen lounge"
prose Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 I would miss having an older forum and a younger forum for sure.
Brother Adam Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='Theoketos' post='963372' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:27 PM'] I vote OLAM dad for Mod. [/quote] I'm not against him being a mod either but he said "As somebody with traditional leanings, I really wish that many of my fellow trads were more thoughtful and less verbal." Does that mean he leans against the Pope and the Second Vatican council. I guess I would want to know what that means. Personally, I think you would make a good mod. Rapheal and Theoketos for Mod!!
franciscanheart Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 i just mean that things like phan clubs, unphania, and other really silly threads (the obviously creepy alien type stuff) should be transferred over. open mic doesn't have to be stiff... but it doesnt have to be overrun by phanclubs and silly 2 post threads.
philothea Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='scardella' post='963360' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:16 PM'] Then what's the open mic for? I find the Creepy Alien board too creepy and random. As far as I could tell, open mic was more the "adult lounge" and Creepy Aliens were the "kid/teen lounge" [/quote] Yeah... but I do wonder where we're supposed to put serious religious posts that don't fit into the other phorums, if Open Mic is random-but-mature?
dUSt Posted April 28, 2006 Author Posted April 28, 2006 I have no problem with the silly threads. My main concern is the lack of a welcoming, all-inclusive atmosphere. I don't mean compromise truths or water down the faith to accomplish this... I mean to treat people with the same respect and friendliness you would if you were face to face with them, as opposed to hiding behind the anonymous shield of an internet message board.
prose Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote]Yeah... but I do wonder where we're supposed to put serious religious posts that don't fit into the other phorums, if Open Mic is random-but-mature? [/quote] Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There really is no place for just talking about faith stuff. For example, I wanted to discuss "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", and I could a bit, but it got lost. A thread like that would have been great in a Spirituality forum that didn't have debate. Also, I still think we should pin the prayer room in every forum.
philothea Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='prose' post='963393' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:48 PM'] Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There really is no place for just talking about faith stuff. For example, I wanted to discuss "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", and I could a bit, but it got lost. A thread like that would have been great in a Spirituality forum that didn't have debate. [/quote] Exactly! That was a cool convo, and just the kind of thing I would have jumped into as a newbie.
Jaime Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='dUSt' post='963387' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:36 PM'] I have no problem with the silly threads. My main concern is the lack of a welcoming, all-inclusive atmosphere. I don't mean compromise truths or water down the faith to accomplish this... I mean to treat people with the same respect and friendliness you would if you were face to face with them, as opposed to hiding behind the anonymous shield of an internet message board. [/quote] That's it exactly. People hiding behind their online "persona". Its enough to make my my 6'4" hurculean physique tremble with rage!! Oh and we could use more threads about peoples own personal faith journeys and questions.
scardella Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='prose' post='963393' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:48 PM'] Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There really is no place for just talking about faith stuff. For example, I wanted to discuss "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", and I could a bit, but it got lost. A thread like that would have been great in a Spirituality forum that didn't have debate. Also, I still think we should pin the prayer room in every forum. [/quote] What about my earlier suggestion about a "Phellowship Phorum" (despite my not liking of the word fellowship)? PS I'd suggest no silly stuff or coagulated milk, etc. in the debate phorum. Make it strictly business.
jezic Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 I think one of the biggest things is that we don't just need a personal renewal, we need a spiritual renewal. i think it might be useful to create a couple more spiritual boards. Give members a spot to just talk about things like prayer or spiritual battles or something. Maybe have a devotions forum to do a weekly devotion/etc. and create a reflections forum (to encourage spiritual writing). Articles to a more general audience could be taken from it. and could we do one more thing, add a moderator actions to the guidelines. They should be handled by pm, not debated in the open.
franciscanheart Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 I think some of our silly threads also venture into the unwelcoming. I know it has been argued time and time again, but from an outsiders point of view, phan clubs aren't welcoming. Heck, even for some established members those threads aren't very welcoming! I think it's been said several times already but I'll say it anyway: We all need to be more charitable. Oh and on the topic of more spiritual things: Why do we need a new board? If people REALLY wanted to see more spiritual things, they would be posting them, right? Well... if we say we want more spirituality "up in hur", then let's do something about it. Bring what you have and EXPECT people to embrace it. Can't never could.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now