MichaelFilo Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 If I have been any less charitable than I would be face to face, I am truely sorry. Although, I may, if it is possible, give a warning that a strong hand in these matters may squelch more than you think. God bless, Mikey
jezic Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='hugheyforlife' post='963424' date='Apr 27 2006, 07:26 PM'] I think some of our silly threads also venture into the unwelcoming. I know it has been argued time and time again, but from an outsiders point of view, phan clubs aren't welcoming. Heck, even for some established members those threads aren't very welcoming! I think it's been said several times already but I'll say it anyway: We all need to be more charitable. Oh and on the topic of more spiritual things: Why do we need a new board? If people REALLY wanted to see more spiritual things, they would be posting them, right? Well... if we say we want more spirituality "up in hur", then let's do something about it. Bring what you have and EXPECT people to embrace it. Can't never could. [/quote] The thing is that posts that are inherently spiritual get buried so quick in open mic. It doesn't have to be a quick forum, or maybe something even for "authors only" so that we can get feedback before we post something major. I like to write things but i always wonder if some of them are a little off kilter. I would love to have a place to just discuss more spiritual things without debate as well. The atmosphere of some of the current rooms isn't conducive to it. (IMHO)
YMNolan Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='scardella' post='963360' date='Apr 27 2006, 07:16 PM'] Then what's the open mic for? I find the Creepy Alien board too creepy and random. As far as I could tell, open mic was more the "adult lounge" and Creepy Aliens were the "kid/teen lounge" [/quote] Yeah, I actually thought I wasn't allowed in the Creepy Aliens board because I'm over 20. I posted their once accidently and I thought I was gonna be banned! I've only been registered for a few months but I really like the fact that on one forum I can ask very serious questions and receive very genuine answers and prayers, while on another just laugh and connect with some really dynamite people over silly jokes and stuff. dUSt, you're a good man and I totally agree with your decisions to clean up the board as far as the animosity between members and disrespect of the current Magisterium go. Thanks All. God's Blessings!
Colleen Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='Socrates' post='963452' date='Apr 27 2006, 08:42 PM'] "Rephormation" sounds Protestant. [/quote] : What about the Catholic Rephormation?
Aloysius Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 we could call it the counter rephormation but nobody tried to rephorm anything else first... anyway, this is coming from the official authority of the phorum, not some theses posted on the door... making it more like the tridentine rephormation than the protestant one
CatholicCity*WOP* Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 (edited) I post both silliness and meaningful topics... I find that Open Mic is just what the title implies an open area for dicussion and fun. Why can't both Faith dicussion and Felowship (even if it is silly) Co-Exist on the same Phorum. I tried to go to the Question and answer board and give an Opinion to someone who had a valid question and you folks have closed it off to a selected few people and the clergy. This persons question was about his local Priest. Do you honestly think another Priest is going to answer him???? I personally don't think so, and as far as I can see no one in the question room (board) gets very many answers to their question anyway. Oh they may get one or two answers, but I believe that they are looking for help from US and want our opinions. So yes, we get silly because you have shut us out of other boards where maybe we can give someone insight to their FAITH when no one else cares to respond...ie: "The Clergy" Therefore why not open up all boards to all members of Phatmass, thereby haveing Open Mic be used for what in my opinion what it was intended for...FELLOWSHIP. FUN and GETTING to KNOW ONE ANOTHER. May God Bless You (The organizers of Phatmass) Respectfully, Jim Manocchia Edited April 28, 2006 by CatholicCity*WOP*
philothea Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='CatholicCity*WOP*' post='963475' date='Apr 27 2006, 08:05 PM'] I tried to go to the Question and answer board and give an Opinion to someone who had a valid question and you folks have closed it off to a selected few people and the clergy. This persons question was about his local Priest. Do you honestly think another Priest is going to answer him???? I personally don't think so, and as far as I can see no one in the question room (board) gets very many answers to their question anyway. Oh they may get one or two answers, but I believe that they are looking for help from US and want our opinions. So yes, we get silly because you have shut us out of other boards where maybe we can give someone insight to their FAITH when no one else cares to respond...ie: "The Clergy" [/quote] If you loook at [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showforum=13"]the Q&A phorum[/url] you'll see that most people's questions are answered. And if they want our largesse of non-scholarly opinions, they're welcome to post in one of the unrestricted phorums. I know, it seems a little odd -- that board serves a different purpose; it's not for discussion or debate.
cmotherofpirl Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='CatholicCity*WOP*' post='963475' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:05 PM'] I post both silliness and meaningful topics... I find that Open Mic is just what the title implies an open area for dicussion and fun. Why can't both Faith dicussion and Felowship (even if it is silly) Co-Exist on the same Phorum. I tried to go to the Question and answer board and give an Opinion to someone who had a valid question and you folks have closed it off to a selected few people and the clergy. This persons question was about his local Priest. Do you honestly think another Priest is going to answer him???? I personally don't think so, and as far as I can see no one in the question room (board) gets very many answers to their question anyway. Oh they may get one or two answers, but I believe that they are looking for help from US and want our opinions. So yes, we get silly because you have shut us out of other boards where maybe we can give someone insight to their FAITH when no one else cares to respond...ie: "The Clergy" Therefore why not open up all boards to all members of Phatmass, thereby haveing Open Mic be used for what in my opinion what it was intended for...FELLOWSHIP. FUN and GETTING to KNOW ONE ANOTHER. May God Bless You (The organizers of Phatmass) Respectfully, Jim Manocchia [/quote] People post in Q & when they want an offical answer by someone with a theology degree. People post everyone else when they want feedback from other members who may or may not be qualified to answer that particular question.
prose Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote]The thing is that posts that are inherently spiritual get buried so quick in open mic. [/quote] And I thought the thread was the "reFORUMation" I thought that was clever... Now I don't think so anymore :
CatholicCity*WOP* Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 (edited) [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='963494' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:29 PM'] People post in Q & when they want an offical answer by someone with a theology degree. People post everyone else when they want feedback from other members who may or may not be qualified to answer that particular question. [/quote] You are missing my point!! I did not realize that the Q & A board was only answered by a certain few members and if I missed that many other members have also missed that. Here is my example... I counted 33 questions as of 2 minutes ago and out of those 33 questions there were only and I mean ONLy 31 responses. There were a few that had 2 responses. Therefore some members Questions are going unanswered because they don't realize that their peers are unable to answer them. In doing so they get the feeling that no one is listening. This could also be viewed as unwelcoming Edited April 28, 2006 by CatholicCity*WOP*
OLAM Dad Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='Theoketos' post='963372' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:27 PM'] I vote OLAM dad for Mod. [/quote] Awww, shucks. That's very flattering of you to nominate me but frankly the only qual I have for mod is that I'm a Texican. [quote name='Brother Adam' post='963379' date='Apr 27 2006, 06:31 PM'] I'm not against him being a mod either but he said "As somebody with traditional leanings, I really wish that many of my fellow trads were more thoughtful and less verbal." Does that mean he leans against the Pope and the Second Vatican council. I guess I would want to know what that means. Personally, I think you would make a good mod. Rapheal and Theoketos for Mod!! [/quote] BA, frankly I'm a bit insulted by your implication. If we've moved to the point in which 'traditional' now means that someone is not a faithful Catholic then we've moved too far. We've not only moved too far but we've also taken the arguments of those who might not be faithful to the Vicar and to ALL of the Traditions of the Church, and who call themselves 'Traditionalists', too seriously.
Christie_M Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='hugheyforlife' post='963344' date='Apr 27 2006, 04:05 PM'] Nah, silliness just needs to go to Creepy Aliens. There's a difference though between creating a lax atmosphere, and creating a second creepy alien board. [/quote] [color="blue"] Does that mean Cat's and my thread has to be moved to the Lame board? [quote name='hugheyforlife' post='963380' date='Apr 27 2006, 04:32 PM'] i just mean that things like phan clubs, unphania, and other really silly threads (the obviously creepy alien type stuff) should be transferred over. open mic doesn't have to be stiff... but it doesnt have to be overrun by phanclubs and silly 2 post threads. [/quote] So we don't have to move our thread?? ( ) [/color]
franciscanheart Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 haha I have no authority to say what needs to be moved where and I honestly wouldnt assume to know exactly what I was doing if I did. I would let dUSt outline what goes where (as he has already so graciously done). Those were only my suggestions.
Brother Adam Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 (edited) [quote name='OLAM Dad' post='963527' date='Apr 27 2006, 11:48 PM'] Awww, shucks. That's very flattering of you to nominate me but frankly the only qual I have for mod is that I'm a Texican. BA, frankly I'm a bit insulted by your implication. If we've moved to the point in which 'traditional' now means that someone is not a faithful Catholic then we've moved too far. We've not only moved too far but we've also taken the arguments of those who might not be faithful to the Vicar and to ALL of the Traditions of the Church, and who call themselves 'Traditionalists', too seriously. [/quote] If you are insulted then you will have to talk to those who call themselves traditionalists and are not faithful to the Church. The word tradtionalist really means nothing anymore, anymore than 'neocon' or 'liberal' means anything. Edited April 28, 2006 by Brother Adam
homeschoolmom Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 [quote name='CatholicCity*WOP*' post='963475' date='Apr 27 2006, 08:05 PM'] I tried to go to the Question and answer board and give an Opinion to someone who had a valid question and you folks have closed it off to a selected few people and the clergy. This persons question was about his local Priest. Do you honestly think another Priest is going to answer him???? I personally don't think so, and as far as I can see no one in the question room (board) gets very many answers to their question anyway. Oh they may get one or two answers, but I believe that they are looking for help from US and want our opinions. So yes, we get silly because you have shut us out of other boards where maybe we can give someone insight to their FAITH when no one else cares to respond...ie: "The Clergy" Therefore why not open up all boards to all members of Phatmass, thereby haveing Open Mic be used for what in my opinion what it was intended for...FELLOWSHIP. FUN and GETTING to KNOW ONE ANOTHER. May God Bless You (The organizers of Phatmass) Respectfully, Jim Manocchia [/quote] My first post here was in the Q/A phorum (My first and only, I think).... Anyway... Someone (who shall remain nameless [size=1]Aloysius[/size] ) saw my post and PMed me with an answer. He did so because he is not authorized to post one. [size=1](RIGHT, AL? )[/size] and because it does take some time to get an answer-- these are busy fellows answering the questions. And at that time, I think there were only four of them. It is good to have it this way. Sometimes people want to know an official answer to a question about the Church, but they don't want to aproach someone in person. It turns out that Al's answer was correct, but he prefaced it by saying, "I'm not a scholar." There needs to be a serious place where people can ask serious questions without fear of Cheesy or Squirrelly answering.
desertwoman Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 Sooooooooooo, where art thou going to go and get new memebers? Are you going to other HHH sites, or are you going to other debate boards.
homeschoolmom Posted April 28, 2006 Posted April 28, 2006 And could the debate table please up the ante on what constitutes "debate." Tossing out a controversial statement for the sake of being a rabble rouser isn't debate. State your argument, back your statement.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now