An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latinos Leaving the Catholic Church

Budge

Praise God!

My church has several ex-Catholics in it including some Latinos.

[quote] Latinos leaving the Catholic Church

A lot of American Catholics, including some US bishops it seems sometimes, take Hispanic Catholics for granted, as if they are the one bright light in the implosion of Catholicism in this country. [size=5]Yet, we can take them for granted because Protestant churches are luring them away by the hundreds. This Boston Globe article profiles the phenomenon in one Massachusetts city that has a large Latino population and was once predominantly Catholic.
[/size]
Here at Iglesia Cristiana Ebenezer, there are no images of the Virgin Mary. There are no candles dedicated to saints, no statues of Jesus. Instead, at the center of the stage is a simple cross surrounded by flags from Latin American countries. On the wall to the left hangs a large banner with the phrase, ``Año de la Prosperidad,” Spanish for ``The Year of Prosperity.”

At this Pentecostal church, Latinos make up most of the membership. In seven years, membership has grown from just a few to more than 200, according to the Rev. Victor Jarvis, the church’s pastor. Members come mainly from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Guatemala, Jarvis said.

For such Pentecostal and evangelical churches in Lawrence, it’s the same story, said area church leaders. In recent years, this majority Latino and historically Catholic city has experienced a proliferation of small but active Protestant churches aimed at serving the Latino community, highlighting the national trend of US Latinos leaving the Catholic Church for evangelical and Pentecostal denominations.

[/quote]

[quote] [size=5]However, a 2002 study by the University of Notre Dame's Institute for Latino Studies concluded that the percentage of Latino Catholics drops with each US-born generation.

Nationwide, various studies show that around 25 percent of Latinos are Protestant, with 70 percent remaining Catholic.[/size]

In Lawrence, observers say, it isn't hard to notice new evangelical or Pentecostal churches popping up on every major street and the growing influence of those church leaders.

The phenomenon even has the attention of the Catholic Church.

``We do see at times . . . when a bank closes, they open a church; when a store closes, they open a church," said the Rev. Jorge Reyes of St. Mary of the Assumption Church.

[/quote]

[url="http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/07/30/search_for_a_spiritual_home/"]LATINOS LEAVING CATHOLIC CHURCH[/url]

Justified Saint

I did a decent amount of research and study on this topic (religion among U.S. Latinos as a political factor) last year for a class. This was my observation/conclusion on the phenomena:

[quote]Second and third generation Latinos will be more likely to convert to other religious traditions from Roman Catholicism. While first generations are about 74 percent likely to be Catholic, third generations are about 60 percent likely to be Catholic.1 From this data it is possible to suggest a general model of religious tendencies among Latinos. The Latino population has a rather steady supply of immigrants coming into the country primarily from Mexico which has one of the highest rates of Catholicism in Latin America. Those newly-arrived, then, are more likely to be Catholic but as they slowly become assimilated and become more materially comfortable, Latinos are more likely to be open to different religious horizons. Ill-will towards oft closely-aligned church-state governments in many Latin America countries may also create some antipathy towards the Catholic Church. This model would support the findings of Espinosa et al. that Latino Catholics are likely to be poorer and less educated, fitting closely the profile of a migrant worker, than their Protestant counterparts. As it turns out, 54 percent of Latino Catholics are immigrants.2

Whatever the reasons for the religious preferences and tendencies of Latinos in the States may be, they do suggest an emerging pattern. Latinos are a religiously diverse and conscientious people. Seventy-five percent of Latinos say that their religion offers a great deal to quite a bit of guidance in “day to day living”. Moreover, most all Hispanic Protestants call themselves born-again or charismatic and a surprising 26% of Catholics identify as born-again.3

This increasing dynamic of Pentecostalism and “popular religiosity” in Latino religion can be a potentially unifying factor against an otherwise mixed religious landscape. Many might dismiss this as mere optimism and wishful thinking, but to a certain degree the Catholic/Protestant paradigm loses its relevance when it comes to Latino religion. Whatever religious preferences a Latino might have, they seem largely motivated by a profound need to strengthen community, family, and spirit. This community orientation suggests a kind of religious creed that unites the many peoples of Latin America. As Otto Maduro comments, “white urban middle-class Anglo individualism is…in many respects antithetical to the Latino experience of what it is to be a person.”4 This might mean that a coming clash of cultures is not completely without merit. Albacete suggests that this is essentially the Catholic element of Latino culture, that Latino culture is still profoundly informed by Catholic social thought even if many Latinos are no longer Catholics.5

-From "Religion and Latino Mobilization" by P. Cowell (12/13/05) [/quote]

The thing is, as Catholics we still believe these people can make it to heaven. However, some (not all) protestant Churches feel obliged to "save" Catholics from their "evil Catholic" ways. That's the difference. If I was to post something showing that a large number of protestants are becoming Catholic, how would you respond?

Edited by musturde

I believe these Latino Catholics are looking for stability, meaning and truth in their lives . . .

. . . and finding nothing but confusion, politics and dysfunction in the Catholic Church.

So wonder they are leaving.....

[quote name='Budge' post='1038132' date='Aug 5 2006, 10:17 AM']
I believe these Latino Catholics are looking for stability, meaning and truth in their lives . . .

. . . and finding nothing but confusion, politics and dysfunction in the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Or perhaps they just want something simple instead of soo many stringent rules? They may feel better in protestant Churches since the atmosphere of the Church is more interactive and they might find Catholic Mass and might not see the Church providing for them as much as Protestant Churches are.

Edited by musturde

[quote]The thing is, as Catholics we still believe these people can make it to heaven. However, some (not all) protestant Churches feel obliged to "save" Catholics from their "evil Catholic" ways. That's the difference. If I was to post something showing that a large number of protestants are becoming Catholic, how would you respond?[/quote]

Actually according to Catholic teachings, even present ones, EX-CATHOLICS dont make it to heaven, on the seperated brethern clause, but are "HERETICS"

A buddhist has much more of a chance of heaven then an Ex-Catholic who has rejected Rome according to Catholic teachings.

There are a bunch of Prots becoming Catholics, their churches have sold out. The new emergent church movement is sucking more into Catholic ways of worship.

[quote name='Budge' post='1038134' date='Aug 5 2006, 10:19 AM']
Actually according to Catholic teachings, even present ones, EX-CATHOLICS dont make it to heaven, on the seperated brethern clause, but are "HERETICS"

A buddhist has much more of a chance of heaven then an Ex-Catholic who has rejected Rome according to Catholic teachings.

There are a bunch of Prots becoming Catholics, their churches have sold out. The new emergent church movement is sucking more into Catholic ways of worship.
[/quote]

Actually, John Paul the 2nd would say otherwise. The Church has never stated that someone is in Hell. The reason is, we don't know. Most Catholic believe that Protestants are able to make it to Heaven. Especially since they follow Christ. I mean even Mel Gibson believes so and he's a crazy traditionalist haha.

Edited by musturde

[quote]
Or perhaps they just want something simple instead of soo many stringent rules?[/quote]

Actually Bible churches arent just restricted to 45 minutes once a weekend.

I think most Catholics here would run even to know that most Bible churches require attendance at three services a week;)

The rules are more "stringent" [the yoke of Jesus is light] to unbelievers. No gambling--not even lotto, no smoking, no drinking in most, no living together, following Biblical precepts, no cussing, and YOU can be removed from the church body if you are an unrepentant public sinner. My pastor has even rebuked folks for living together who were unmarried and removed one from a ministry until they were to repent. I never saw this happening in the Catholic Church.

[quote]

Actually, John Paul the 2nd would say otherwise. The Church has never stated that someone is in Hell. The reason is, we don't know. Most Catholic believe that Protestants are able to make it to Heaven. Especially since they follow Christ. I mean even Mel Gibson believes so and he's a crazy traditionalist haha.
[/quote]

[quote]Pope Boniface VIII in his Bull Unam Sanctam issued in 1302:

[b]"We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff."[/b] (Denz. 469)[/quote]

Was this rescinded?
[quote]
Pope Leo X reaffirmed the teaching of Boniface VIII: (1512-1517)
[b]
"Where the necessity of salvation is concerned all the faithful of Christ must be subject to the Roman Pontiff, [/b]as we are taught by Holy Scripture, the testimony of the holy fathers, and by that constitution of our predecessor of happy memory, Boniface VIII, which begins Unam Sanctam." (Pope Leo X, Fifth Lateran Council (1512-1517) Conciliorum Oecumenicorum Decreta, Edidit Centro di Documentazione, Instituto per Science Religiose, Herder, Bologna, 1962, no. 40, pp. 619, 620.)
[/quote]

This no longer applies?
[quote]
Pope Gregory XVI (A.D. 1831 - 1846):

"[b]It is not possible to worship God truly except in Her; all who are outside Her will not be saved." [/b](Encyclical, Summo Jugiter)
[/quote]

Did he get it wrong?

[quote]Pope Benedict XV (A.D. 1914 - 1922):
[b]
"Such is the nature of the Catholic faith that it does not admit of more or less, but must be held as a whole, or as a whole rejected: This is the Catholic faith, which unless a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved." [/b](Encyclical, Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum)
[/quote]

him too?

[quote name='Budge' post='1038132' date='Aug 5 2006, 10:17 AM']

[/quote]

sometimes the truth is right in front of your face but you are too blind to see it.

in this materialistic culture... money cash h*es, a person is blinded. this consumer culture has blinded them.
this "if it feels good do it" type of mentality has blinded them.

they are not searching for truth. they are searching for something that's comfortable.

"hey this church is all about unity amongst latinos, let's join this church"

it feels good so let's join it.

truth hurts. accepting truth hurts.

they are not gonna find truth. they're searching in the wrong places.

John 14:6 he said that he is the way the truth and the life.

where else can you find truth but the church that he himself (Christ Jesus) establish

pilate asked the question "what is truth"

we (catholics) know what the truth is.

we are gonna remain faithful to the church that Jesus Christ established, his bride, the Holy Mother Church. and we will defend her. we accept the real truth.

"The beautiful thing about being Catholic is that I don't have to wonder. I don't have to ask, as Pilate did, "What is Truth?" Every Sunday, every day if I want to, I can taste the Truth, in the Flesh. I can see it. I can have it on the tip of my tongue. I can gaze at the Truth for an hour if my heart so desires. The beautiful thing about being Catholic is that I don't have to search for the Truth anymore. I just have to let Him teach me."- TCW

[quote name='Budge' post='1038137' date='Aug 5 2006, 10:29 AM']

I think most Catholics here would run even to know that most Bible churches require attendance at three services a week;)

[/quote]
the Catholic church offers daily mass.

how many so called "bible churches" offer daily services???

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1038139' date='Aug 5 2006, 10:29 AM']
Budge... why are you here? Honestly.
[/quote]
convert's zeal

Edited by ReinnieR

Budge, protestant church's are not "bible church's" those places [mod]IcePrincess--negative criticism of another religion[/mod] have nothing to do with the bible, which by the way, they wouldnt even have a bible if the Catholic Church didnt put it together and give it to them. (or should I say if the heretics didnt steal it from us).

The prot church's are actually not bible church's, they are "personal interpretation church's". All the protestant sects were founded by men who picked and chose verses from the bible and build their churchs on them. The Catholic church didnt do that, because the Catholic church was busy writing the bible and putting it together. The Church existed before the bible.(new testament) as for latinos leaving the church, well many are just too gullible and listen to all the anti-catholics. That's all

The Catholic Church is the only way to heaven. That never changed. Despite what some modern thinkers have done to take it out of context.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

Budge, read the encyclical Dominus Iesus: On the Unicity and Salvific Universality of Jesus Christ and the Church.

In short, all your quotes there are accurate, but taken radically out of context.
The Church teaches that as the deposit of the fullness of revelation and objective Truth exist in the Catholic Church. All those who are outside the visible Church participate in Her Spiritual life, because they experience some truth, just not all of it, which is found in the Church.
In that way we can say with confidence that no one can be saved outside the Church, because the Church is Truth. Clearly nobody can be saved outside of Truth.

I ask in charity that you stop attempting to make a mockery of your fellow brothers and sisters here. You make yourself and your God look foolish.

Edited by DAF

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1038139' date='Aug 5 2006, 11:29 AM']
Budge... why are you here? Honestly.
[/quote]
To impress us with his use of large fonts? :)

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Budge' post='1038109' date='Aug 5 2006, 10:29 AM']
Praise God!

My church has several ex-Catholics in it including some Latinos.[/quote]
My church has several ex-Protestants in it including some Whites.

nah Mateo...

our Church has thousands and thousands of ex-protestants... and ex-atheists, ex-hindus, ex-muslims, ex-mormons, [s]x-men[/s]...

Church universal--Praise God!