An Old School Catholic Message Board

60th Birthday of the Bikini

Lil Red

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1043684' date='Aug 14 2006, 11:45 AM']
I'm not a fan of swimsuits all together... I just bought a one piece 'old-lady' style swimsuit for when my sister and cousin were begging me to go to the water park with them... My little sister, who is 11 wore a tankini, and still had a misshap, and being 11, uh, not a good thing... my cousin, much older than I am (25 or so I think...) wore a bikini... She had a number of mishaps on the waterslides. This was the first time I had been swiming in years...

And seriously, it is like we are walking around in under wear... We have almost systematically been removing more and more layers of clothing over the years... (Some of the things we wear everyday that are somewhat modest would have been considered underwear some 60/70 years ago) I really am not a fan of modern fashion... I just got myself a few ankle length skirts (with no slits in them) for the fall and beyond and according to both my mom and little sister, I dress like an old lady.
[/quote]

I dress like an old lady too! But I love it, most of the time. I read Colleen Hammond's [i]Dressing with Dignity[/i] and then proceeded to go through my closet and get rid of too short, too tight, too sheer. Went out a found some past the knees skirts. I haven't taken her suggestions all the way, but I agree with what she says. I feel much more femine using skirts. I still have kept a few pants, but made to get lost the tight ones and where them if the occassion provides it.

As for swimming, use a Long T and shorts. Even when I used to own a bathing suit, I always wore them with shorts.

What does it matter what people say and think of our style. Our concern should be in not offending our Lord and not being an occasion of sin.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='gelibeme' post='1044502' date='Aug 16 2006, 08:42 AM']

I dress like an old lady too! But I love it, most of the time. I read Colleen Hammond's [i]Dressing with Dignity[/i] and then proceeded to go through my closet and get rid of too short, too tight, too sheer. Went out a found some past the knees skirts. I haven't taken her suggestions all the way, but I agree with what she says. I feel much more femine using skirts. I still have kept a few pants, but made to get lost the tight ones and where them if the occassion provides it.

As for swimming, use a Long T and shorts. Even when I used to own a bathing suit, I always wore them with shorts.

What does it matter what people say and think of our style. Our concern should be in not offending our Lord and not being an occasion of sin. [/quote]Me too. I feel very much the same about her book. I have taken most of it into consideration, but some things were a bit difficult, especially for right now. I have yet to go through my clothes, and everytime I do, my mom [i]has[/i] to go through them first and sees if my little sister wants any of them... <_< I have gotten myself more skirts than anything and I am quite happy to be at a job where I can wear skirts rather than pants.

It was a great book though. A quick and easy read as well and very much to the point. I wish more people would read it, especially some of the young ladies I know...

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1044444' date='Aug 16 2006, 06:48 AM']
Young people dressing 'old-lady' style, unite!
[/quote]
banana

[quote name='gelibeme' post='1044502' date='Aug 16 2006, 08:42 AM']

What does it matter what people say and think of our style. Our concern should be in not offending our Lord and not being an occasion of sin.
[/quote]
:cool: