An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Your Spirituality?

Veritas

What Spirituality do you most identify with?  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alphonsian Spirituality-The essence of Redemptorist spirituality is the stripping of self in order that the we can be transformed into the redeeming Christ.(viva memoria)

I have a Regnum Christi spirituality, which is Christ centered and focuses on five loves: Christ, the Church, Mary, Souls, and the Pope.

[url="http://www.regnumchristi.org"]http://www.regnumchristi.org[/url]

angelusdomini

Franciscan.
I love the great focus on God's providence. Helps me a lot in developing a deeper trust in our Lord and knowing-really- that despite whatever is going on. Everything will be all right. The way of St. Francis is full of such youthful exhuberance and I love that. It is very scary too.

Benedictine.
I love the focus on the balance of ora et labora (work and pray) as well as the idea of Opus Dei. I must admit that this I actually picked up form my high school which was run by Opus Dei. Definitely instilled in me the ideal of using my everyday mundane tasks as a means of sanctification. When I do this, it helps me to be focused on the present moment and task.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1098991' date='Oct 23 2006, 10:15 AM']
I really love St. Alphonsus.
[/quote]

I do 2...the IHMs were founded by a Redemptorist priest...and have grown to love Saint Alphonsus writings.

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1099116' date='Oct 23 2006, 01:34 PM']
He has beautiful Eucharistic poetry...
[/quote]

The secret of Alphonsus' approach is that anyone can pray in his simple style:

[center]
"Jesus, my Redeemer, I feel within me a great desire to love you. This is a gift of your grace, and I know that it comes from you. Give me the strength necessary to put your grace into action and help me, from this day forward, to say to you sincerely and repeat to you always, `My God, I love you, I love you, I love you.' You desire my love; I also desire yours. Let us love each other from now on and forever. You will never leave me; I will never leave you. You will always love me; I will always love you. 0 Mary, see how I run to you to confide in you. You pray for so many others; pray for me, too."[/center]

How is this any different than denominations in a protestant church?

btw, I dont know the difference with any of these. anyone got a quiz or something

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1100354' date='Oct 24 2006, 04:57 PM']
btw, I dont know the difference with any of these. anyone got a quiz or something
[/quote]

Well, to quote my dear friend Thomas Aquinas :think:, "The obligation to devote oneself wholly to God's service is common to every religious order...But the difference is in respect of the different things wherein one may serve God, and whereby a man may dispose himself to the service of God." (from the Summa Theologica, II.ii.188.1)

It's like this... God calls us to serve him in different ways... you know how Paul talks about how some are preachers, and some are healers, and so on? Well it's sort of like that... we are one faith, with one mission, but the different spiritualities sort of just emphasize different aspects of it, while being fully united.

Plus, it gives us some good holy rivalry :saint: :shield:... so when I say Franciscans are the best ;) everyone else can :tomato: and we can banter about it and have some fun. Just kidding... I'm definitely especially attracted to the Franciscans, but I definitely appreciate the others... They've all got something important to offer.

As for a quiz, I'm sure there is one out there, but I couldn't tell you where. But truthfully, a quiz really couldn't tell you... God just doesn't work like that. I mean, if I took a quiz like that, I'm willing to bet it'd say I'm Dominican. :hehe: And Dominicans are awesome and I love 'em, but I don't think that's where God wanted me to be.

There are some older threads on the subject... and some funny jokes too... :rolling: but of course one should think somewhat seriously about the different spiritualities...

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1100354' date='Oct 24 2006, 06:57 PM']
[/quote]
I've yet to find a quiz online (I've only seen them in books before). But you can try reading this article on [b][url="http://www.veritaschristi.org/articles/apologetics/2004/religious_spirituality.htm"]religious spirituality. [/url][/b]

I'm primarily Carmelite (solidified, no doubt, by my time as a postulant in Carmel), but I find I have Trappist and Passionist leanings, as well. I'd be interested in conversing with folks who find themselves with similar Trappist or Passionist bents.

• 2 months later...