An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Your Spirituality?

Veritas

What Spirituality do you most identify with?  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love the intellect and teaching aspects of the Dominicans...but I also have a very comfortable, intimate connection with Carmelite spirituality.

My biggest devotion, though, is the Divine Mercy. So what in the world does that make me?

Saint Therese

Domincilite? Or maybe Carmelinican?

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1542673' date='May 25 2008, 11:54 PM']I love the intellect and teaching aspects of the Dominicans...but I also have a very comfortable, intimate connection with Carmelite spirituality.

My biggest devotion, though, is the Divine Mercy. So what in the world does that make me?[/quote]

photosynthesis

I'd say my spirituality is mostly Dominican--I especially like the spirituality most often found in Domincan woman contemplatives and hope to join their Third Order someday God willing. I love the emphasis on upholding what is good and beautiful in a culture while stomping out heresy and evil. Last month I was on my honeymoon in Italy and my husband and I saw the head of St. Catherine in Siena, plus we went to her house, it was awesome!

SaintIrene

My vote: Other (Institute of Christ the King, I think)

St. Francis de Sales is my all-time favorite author, and he has helped me so much. I love the charism of the Visitation sisters (that he co-founded) to pray for the salvation of souls. So Salesian.

Also Benedictine. I've always been drawn to the idea of Ora et Labora, and I love beautiful liturgy. The Benedictine life seems so peaceful to me.

I also love the traditional mass and I am seriously discerning with the Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus, sisters of the Institute of Christ the King. Their spirituality is exactly the above two.

Their third patron, St. Thomas Aquinas, has really grown on me since I started looking into this community. Not that I didn't like him before, but I hadn't read much of him. And the love of Truth is really important to me too!

AccountDeleted

I thought I was a Carmelite because I adore the Carmelite saints, especially St John of the Cross but I have also loved St Francis and St Clare, and more recently St Thomas Aquinas, so the Franciscans and the Dominicans are favorites as well. And of course, I identify with St Augustine, being a convert myself, and then St Scholastica is wonderful for praying to God and making her brother spend the night talking to her :rolleyes: --- and since the charism of St Francis de Sales is behind the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel's Hope -- how can I choose now? :rolleyes:

I just love Our Lord, and all the saints are an inspiration to me! I am finding it very hard to actually pin down one type of spirituality any more.

My first love had been Carmelite. Then, I have learned to love Alberione's Pauline Spirituality. It's a little bit more than 100 year old but it's as deep as the ocean. I'm still on the surface even though I've been exposed to it in a good number of years. Oh well, I'm slow.

This year is the Pauline year (June of 2008 to June of 2009). Of course, I have been extremly busy with Pauline readings. I have found that St Paul and I are alike in many ways. One big way is that we both were converted. I'm falling in love with God in a new different way through St Paul the Apostle's writings. My journey of faith has been a journey of joys, tears, strugglings, and misunderstoods by many (especially those in authority) but I'm at peace now. God is good!

Like my father St Paul, I'm now able "forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phil. 3:13

Please pardon me for long post about my Pauline spirituality.
Many blessings :)

Edited by phivan

Brother Ed

[quote name='Selah' post='1545271' date='May 27 2008, 05:31 PM']Franciscan, definatly <3[/quote]

Totally Franciscan

Saint Therese
:wacko: I'm very influenced by the spirituality of St. Therese and other Carmelites, and I really love Carmelite spirituality. I also think Franciscan simplicity and poverty is beautiful, and I love the Dominican emphasis on preaching the Truth, and their emphasis on the EUcharist. What does that make me? :think:

• 1 year later...
InHisLove726

I know this is an older thread of last year, but I couldn't resist voting in the poll. :rolleyes: I'm a Carmelite to the core, but I also love the Franciscan and Dominican spiritualities. When I was going through a rough patch of discernment not so long ago, I started looking at both the Franciscan and Dominican orders, but I rediscovered my home through St. Therese. ;)

I'm a Carmelite, 110%! :D

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1948062' date='Aug 13 2009, 08:23 PM']+J.M.J.+
Dominicans rock :punk: :smokey:[/quote]

I knew there was a reason why I liked you so much ;)

TeresaBenedicta

You know what I love about Dominican spirituality? It draws from so many places and then makes it all its own.

I was just reading [i]The Grace of the Word[/i] on St. Dominic (which is a must read for ANY Dominican soul) and it was talking about all the different orders that influenced St. Dominic as he established the Order. One of my favorite finds was that he based the contemplative aspect of the Order off of the Cistercians. :-) Awesome!

Edit: And can I just add that Teresa of Avila loved Dominicans and Dominican spirituality?

Edited by TeresaBenedicta