An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's Your Spirituality?

Veritas

What Spirituality do you most identify with?  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would have to say Franciscan and Carmelite. (although all charisms the within the Church are vital and teach us much)

There is something about small things done with great love... beautiful & so meaningful to me.

St. Francis is such an inspiration... His love of Christ crucified and also the poor.

So, thats me...

I have been drawn to the Franciscans for a long time, as well as the Cistercian (both of the strict and common observance) and Jesuit (well, perhaps not modern) Spiritualities. As I have explored my pull to these various orders, I find that it is not the spirituality of the order that I was drawn to, but that of the founder. I have stumbled across other founders whose spiritualities I do not share (the founder of the Stigmatines, for example), but the fact that their order (whose way of life may be attractive to me) have rejected essential points of the founders vision repulses me.

I am terrified at what this might mean for my own discernment (I don't want the path that I can't seem to avoid... I guess I ought to make the best of it?) .

• 1 month later...
Domine ut Videam

Benedictine and Community of St.Jean, which was founded by a Dominican....and yet is something entirely its own.

I am still searching for my place and where i fit. So - not sure?

praying4carmel

UMMM... Carmelite! :bigpray:

I know the Lord Has had many suprises for me over the years, and has treated me with a wonderful sense of humor at times so I won't be 100% sure until the door is shut behind me...

I do best under "thy will be done"...

Guest CruxOfTheMatter

Carmelite-Franciscan, I suppose.

I love Carmelite mysticism ala St. John of the Cross, and I love Franciscan Incarnationalism. The transcendent and the imminent combined like that.

I'd say my personal spirituality heavily emphasizes the Trinitarian, Christological, and Ecclesial elements. And is aesthetically very Medieval, early English Gothic specifically (I am liturgically a traditionalist). I like the idea of "active contemplatives" as I am very focused on people, and community, and interpersonal charity inspired by ones personal relationship with the Supreme Love. I'm very much a "personalist" in that way. I am also quite academic in my leanings, and am very interested in the typological and symbolic aspects of things.

I've been trying to foster more Pneumatological, Eucharistic, Marian, Scriptural, and Devotional elements in my spirituality...but those don't have as much of an appeal to me taken "out of context" like it seems they often are. Which is fine. It's perfectly valid to focus on specific concepts of the Faith abstracted from the whole like that, I'm just more of an integralist who likes things organically holistic.

For example, it's much more meaningful to me recieving communion in the context of Mass and I'd promote that over, say, adoration in a monstrance. The East has no real extra-liturgical eucharistic cultus, and it is a rather late development. It makes total sense theologically, but at the same time is clearly not the "native context" of the eucharist.

Things I am certainly NOT are: eremitic (I need people), Baroque (I find it gaudy), legalistic, triumphalistic, or rubricistic. I love the Old Rite and the Medieval...but I would NOT describe myself as "tridentine," as the council of Trent actually took a tone that I don't entirely like and which I believe led to a liturgical and theological ossification. I am of course not a Jansenist and lean heavily against it, likewise I am not a Victorian or Puritan in my outlooks, though some people would accuse me as I am a teetotaler and don't smoke, gamble, dance, drink soda, etc...but the philosophical underpinnings of that are entirely different.

I am a neo-scholastic philosophically, drawing from Thomist and Scotist positions...but also supplemented with von Balthasar. I do not believe any one philosophical parsing of theology is "right". Just as there are many languages that can all express the truth, I believe that several theologies can exist and be equally valid in the Church in terms of providing a philosophical framework for the dogmas of the Faith. And as such I have a great respect for Eastern Christian theology. I myself "speak Latin" theologically, but I don't reject those who "speak Greek" as I believe the same truths are expressed. Therefore, I believe that ecumenism with the Orthodox is very important, and should be our main focus as reunion with the East is much more realistic than with the protestants. I think that almost all the theological issues with the East can be shown to be merely semantical issues, misunderstandings or miscommunications in phrasing.

And while I love the Pope...I would not describe myself as all that "papal" in my spirituality as I believe the ideal is much more subsidiary and we should be focused in that sense (like the first millenium and like in the east) much more on the local bishop, without having the "direct relationship with the Pope" so many Catholics seem to have these days. I certainly believe the Pope is the infallible visible head of the College of Bishops, and is the Chair of Unity in relation to which communion with the Church is defined...but I do not like the micro-managing hyper-centralized Rome-centric model of organization nor the "cult of personality" that many Catholics seem to have surrounding the Pope. The "papal bureaucracy" model of organization is not my style. The feudal organization of the Middle Ages is much more my style (for example, I dont see why the Pope should appoint all bishops instead of having them elected by the local cathedral Chapter or diocesan Presbyterate and approved by the Metropolitan as used to be the case)

Edited by CruxOfTheMatter

• 4 weeks later...
dominicansoul

DOMINICAN! All the way!!

I love you PAPA DOMINIC!!! :love:

[img]http://www.smart.net/~tak/Disputations/stdombolog.jpg[/img]

A Yearning Heart

Well, lets see-I have affections for a few spiritualities.

I love the carmelite saints; St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross; Franciscans-St. Francis and St. Clare; Congregation of Our Lady of Mercy (not sure what their original spiritual basis is)-St. Maria Faustina (Divine Mercy ROCKS!)....

I've never been sure where I was being called (or if)...so I've prayed and asked for a push in the right direction and I've run into a wonderful Dominican a few times who was almost under my nose (and never knew it) as a university chaplain

So, I'm still partial towards Carmelite, Franciscan, Divine Mercy but now also Dominican.

Isn't it GREAT that our Faith has such a diversity of spiritualities! Something for everyone. I love it!

Guest Kayla

I think I am mostly attracted to the Dominican spirituality. Although, parts of me really like Salesian and Augustinian as well. Hmm.

• 1 month later...
fides quarens intellectum

Franciscan love of Lady Poverty, but recently, i'm also liking the spread-the-word aspect of the Dominicans.