An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pacifists

catholicinsd

Pacifists  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So you go againist the Church teaching of turning the other cheek? Nice.

Edited by catholicinsd

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1182799' date='Feb 1 2007, 11:21 PM']
dude, open up your Catechism of the Church
[/quote]

Open your Bible, and stop the profanity.

goldenchild17

I would consider myself one but according to many hot topics I probably wouldn't fit into that category, so I'd say probably not so much.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Peace in those titles does not refer to People on earth not killing each other. it refers to the Peace of Christ

anyway... i voted yes, because i do not believe in war unless specific requirements are met to make the war qualify as Just.

My pastor and i had a long conversation about this, and he informed me about how the doctrine of Just War developed with St. Augustine. it is been a part of the Church for almost 2000 years and can not be ignored. Sometimes wars must be fought to save lives.

At the same Time, i do not like the elitist attitude that pacifists have...The catechism makes it quite clear that, unfortunately, there are times when war is necessary.

I am most of the time, but I'm also not afraid to pass the fist to protect my family, etc. There's a time and a place for everything.

MissScripture

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1182796' date='Feb 1 2007, 11:14 PM']
So you go againist the Church teaching of turning the other cheek? Nice.
[/quote]
You also forget the part where we have an obligation to protect the vulnerable.

true pacifism is incompatible with Christianity and the Scriptures. To believe in full pacifism, one denies the possibility that war can ever be justified; this is contrary to the doctrine of Christ.

Christ said that those who live by the sword die by the sword, and instructed His Apostles that defending themself, especially from a non-life-threatening strike in the cheek, is foolish. One ought to turn the other cheek, which was considered an insult in those days; the equivalent of "is that all you got?"

But he commanded His apostles that if they did not have a sword, they should sell their cloak and buy one. He clearly believed in using weapons for self-defense and/or the defense of the innocent, He simply said that one should not live by the sword. In the Old Testament, God sanctioned war. We have the selfsame God, He has not changed (for He does not change).

Christ did not come to bring peace, but a sword of divisiveness: the children of the light against the children of darkness. He did not command non-violence, nor did He believe in it. He was the incarnation of the God who commanded war in the Old Testament.

The doctrine of the Church is clear: one should never provoke war and bloodshed, but if it comes it is the sacred duty of Christian rulers to defend their own homelands and the innocent.