An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pacifists

catholicinsd

Pacifists  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]Peace in those titles does not refer to People on earth not killing each other. it refers to the Peace of Christ[/quote]

While I believe that 'blessed are the peacemakers' is nowhere near the same thing as 'blessed are the pacifists', that doesn't mean that wanton violence and the Peace of Christ are compatible because they're dealing in different 'kinds' of peace. That's a tortured piece of legalism.

In answer to the poll, I follow the Just War Theory of Thomas Aquinas. I agree with what LightandTruth has already said.

I believe that true pacifism is incompatible with Christianity because that means we couldn't fight to protect the poor and vulnerable. I believe violence for the sake of violence is wrong, but if someone dared to hurt an innocent person and I caught them doing that, I would use everything I learned in kickboxing on that person.

Sometimes war could be a good thing. It was war that made us free and that continues to keep us free. It was war that made slaves free people. And it was because we won a war that the horrific Holocaust came to an end.

I am afraid I have seen way too much violence of all sorts in my life and travels to accept any of it. I pray for the day the Meek shall inherit the Earth.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1182977' date='Feb 2 2007, 09:37 AM']
But it can never be felt if we all stand around watching evil take over, either.
[/quote]

But we must remember there are many ways of conquering evil, other than war.

homeschoolmom

"Gee Adolf, would you please stop killing the handicapped, Gypies and Jews? It's really a little uncivilized, don't you agree?"

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1183001' date='Feb 2 2007, 10:12 AM']
There's this thing. It's called diplomacy. Use it.
[/quote]

I cant believe this argument still exists. Especially in this era when we're fighting religious fanatics all across the globe, many of whom are irrational. These aren't all civilized countries with proper foreign ministers. Many sects just hate us (America) just because we're American. What do you do to keep these people from trying to kill us?