An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pacifists

catholicinsd

Pacifists  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Awww...man...why wasn't one of the poll choices: "No. I believe laughter is the root word of slaughter for a reason."

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1256541' date='Apr 25 2007, 10:06 PM']My grandmother has lost one son as a indirectly as a result of Veitnam. She what we a call a pacifist. I think if any of you would loose a child to war you'd have a different out-look on the issue.[/quote]
I think that will depend on the person.

Some people will hate the war and become anti-war (read: Cindy Sheehan) while others develop an even firmer resolve to fight and avenge the death of their child.

I am not a pacifist myself... I can't see not fighting back in the face of evil, like in the Nazi situation that was brought up earlier. But I don't have a problem with other individuals being pacifists so long as they don't insist that everyone share their views :)

It would be nice if every soul on earth loathed violence, but the human condition being what it is...

I watched a great documentary about Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who won the medal of honor in WWII. [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/25/AR2006032501181.html"]Here is a link to his obituary.[/url] [url="http://www.desmonddoss.com/"]And here is a link to the documentary's website. [/url]

[quote name='The Joey-O' post='1256759' date='Apr 26 2007, 11:03 AM']Awww...man...why wasn't one of the poll choices: "No. I believe laughter is the root word of slaughter for a reason."[/quote]

let me guess....you wanted to know what I would say about this? :smokey:

Did we ask you? Hahaha...

My answer is no. I don't go about picking fights though. I'm not anyone's whipping boy, but I will take shots until it's necessary to draw the proverbial steel.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1257354' date='Apr 26 2007, 10:37 PM']I watched a great documentary about Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who won the medal of honor in WWII. [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/25/AR2006032501181.html"]Here is a link to his obituary.[/url] [url="http://www.desmonddoss.com/"]And here is a link to the documentary's website. [/url][/quote]

Cool stuff! I didn't know Seventh-Day Adventists were against carrying arms!

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1257473' date='Apr 26 2007, 10:25 PM']do pacifists have anything to do with pacifiers?[/quote]
you have baby on the brain don't you

:D:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1257358' date='Apr 26 2007, 09:50 PM']Did we ask you? Hahaha...[/quote]

trust me...he wants to know my thought. I have the blood of many on my hands. And he knows this

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1257354' date='Apr 26 2007, 07:37 PM']I watched a great documentary about Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector who won the medal of honor in WWII. [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/25/AR2006032501181.html"]Here is a link to his obituary.[/url] [url="http://www.desmonddoss.com/"]And here is a link to the documentary's website. [/url][/quote]

Note how he still served his country, and didn't sit at home whining about "how war is evil." He was a true pacifist, and not a coward.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]My grandmother has lost one son as a indirectly as a result of Veitnam. She what we a call a pacifist. I think if any of you would loose a child to war you'd have a different out-look on the issue.[/quote]

That's not true. If every person who had lost a child to war became a pacifist, the world would be full of them. Recently I was reading an interview with the mother of a British soldier who died in Iraq. She affirmed the need for soldiers like her son. She was obviously very upset, but she understood that death is a risk you must accept if you join the military.

My own brother fought in Iraq for a six-month term. Personally I don't support this particular war, but I believe that my brother did the right thing by going. He himself has questioned the validity of the war, but he knows very well that when he joined Her Majesty's Forces he undertook a duty to the Queen and to this country that he can't shirk. He also believed that as an individual he had the power to make Iraq a better place, so he tried his best. I'm proud of him for that.

There are some pacifists whom I deeply respect, despite being a just war theorist myself. The Quakers did a marvellous job in World War One - they used to go out into landmine-peppered no man's land to recover the dead and nurse the wounded. That was an extremely dangerous job, just as dangerous as the fighting itself. Then there are people like Siegfried Sassoon, who started out as a war hero who fought faithfully in the trenches and then decided that due to the mismanagement of the war and the needless loss of life that resulted from this he had no choice but to conscientiously object. But there is a big difference between objecting to the way a war is being dealt with and condemning all fighting outright. It's possible to say that Vietnam was handled badly without saying that war is intriniscally evil.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1182796' date='Feb 2 2007, 12:14 AM']So you go againist the Church teaching of turning the other cheek? Nice.[/quote]
Don't turn your head too fast or you'll whack someone with that huge frikking beam sticking out of your eye and that would go against your pacifism.

hoosieranna

I don't usually support offensive wars, but I will defend myself and my family. I will always support the troops. There needs to be a third poll option other than yes or no-it may be a question of degrees.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1182974' date='Feb 2 2007, 09:30 AM']The Peace of Christ can never be felt as long as Wars are fought.[/quote]

True. But we live in a Fallen world.