An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloistered Nuns: Locked Behind The Grate

Budge

[img]http://www.ljworld.com/billsnead/gallery/011_cloistered_nuns.jpg[/img]

Something about the idea of women or even men locking themselves away from others, seems unhealthy and contrary to Gods will. God willed for us to share the love and live in Christian community. Some of us may be more introverts then others. We are to pray and take time alone but life in Christ is about freedom not locking oneself behind a grate--IRON BARS.

Read the article below, she is locked behind the GRATE even during her vow taking ceremony. She cannot even hug her mother or sister GOODBYE but is still locked behind the grate..

:( :(

. I used to read books on nuns and what the life was like including a book even called [i]NUN[/i] Many thing Vatican II has changed all this but thats not true. The Grates and cloisters still exsist, see below. Just like prison where in that case they have guards and the plexiglass wall. One nun in one of the books talked of only being able to see her parents once since she had joined the convent and them dying before she could see them again.

Even on another board, one young woman entering the convent told me she could not receive mail for a whole year.

Anyone wonder how the friends and families must feel to realize they have been cut out of this persons life for good? What is healthy or even Christian about that?

Pre-Vatican II and maybe even now, nuns are told not to have friends. the one ex-nun in the UU church told me they were not allowed to have "particular friends" She told our UU class we had together, about the [b]CRUSHING [/b]lonelieness.

People need God but we are made to be social creatures. I dont see anything good about this and in links below youll see why.

[url="http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/jun/27nun.htm"]http://www.record-eagle.com/2004/jun/27nun.htm[/url]

June 27, 2004
Carmelite nun enters life in monastery
By
Record-Eagle staff writer

[quote] TRAVERSE CITY - [b]Rita Aune gave up her name, her family and friends, her possessions and the world.[/b]
She will live the rest of her life as Sister Perpetua Marie of the Immaculate Conception within the Carmelite Monastery overlooking Traverse City.
[b]She has vowed to never leave.[/b]
“Solemn vows bind you irrevocably,” Sister Perpetua, 24, said.
Last week, the former Kankakee, Ill. resident became one of seven cloistered Roman Catholic sisters here. She’s the second in 10 years to do so and is the youngest of its inhabitants. The oldest is the monastery’s founder, Mother Teresa Margaret, 92.
[b]The 75 people who attended her solemn vows could barely see her. [/b]She stood or knelt in the sisters’ enclosure [b]behind a grate[/b] decorated with a garland of white flowers as priests performed the ceremony.
[b]Those in the pews could barely hear her [/b]when she faced the mother superior from behind a grate and asked to be allowed to make “perpetual profession” in the community “for the glory of God and the service of the church.”
[b]After the vows, she and two other sisters greeted visitors through a grate. [/b]Sister Perpetua kept her hands folded under the black, apron-like scapular of her habit.
Behind her, a window on an Eden-like woods gave a tiny peek at their world away from the world.
The monastery features about 60 acres of wooded land with nature trails for walking and cross-country skiing that is closed off from visitors.
Even in the public part of the monastery, there’s little heard but wind chimes, the breeze through the trees and an occasional bark from their pet Cocoa, a chocolate lab. It’s easy to forget it’s on the edge of Traverse City and surrounded by subdivisions.
“We have lots of room to wander around. It’s very quiet,” Sister Perpetua said.

Long preparation
“Ever since she was little, she told me she wants to be a sister,” Martha Aune, Sister Perpetua’s mother, said. [b]“It fits her personality. She never cared for the limelight.[/b] She never cared for noise or the current rock music.
“[/quote]

[url="http://www.etcatholic.com/sept8/hutton.htm"]http://www.etcatholic.com/sept8/hutton.htm[/url]

[quote]Such people do exist—not just in heaven but here and now. This is the vocation of cloistered contemplatives who live out one of the strangest and most beautiful expressions of Christianity imaginable.

Recently I visited the Dominicans of St. Jude Monastery in Marbury, Ala. The life of these nuns is hard for many to understand. They have no ministry other than prayer, and their only work is the manual labor, such as cleaning and carpentry, necessary to maintain the community. [b]Except for doctor’s appointments, they never leave the cloister, and no one enters their enclosure. [u]Visits (which are strictly limited) take place through a wire mesh grillwork with openings just large enough for a person to put two fingers through. [/u][/b]The nuns are totally dependent on others even for food, and their poverty is evident in many small ways: the faded carpet in the simple chapel, the mended (though spotless) habits.[/quote]

[url="http://www.zenit.org/english/archive/documents/VerbiSponsa-eng.html"]http://www.zenit.org/english/archive/docum...Sponsa-eng.html[/url]

{from Mary Ann Collins--ex Nun website...}

[quote][b]We were largely cut off from our families and friends. Unless there was an emergency, we could only phone our family (very briefly) on special occasions such as Christmas. Our outgoing mail was read by our superiors, and so was our incoming mail. When we wrote letters, we never knew whether or not people would actually receive them. We never knew if mail had been sent to us but not given to us. [/b]

Talking was restricted. [b]We were not allowed to have personal friendships. We weren't even allowed to have affection for animals[/b][/quote]

[quote][b]We were told that we should be emotionally detached, that we should only express love in a detached way. We were taught that human attachments interfere with closeness to God.[/b]

This is contrary to Scripture. Adam was very close to God. He walked and talked with God every evening. But God said that wasn't enough. God said that Adam needed human companionship. ("It is not good that man should be alone." Genesis 2:18)[/quote]

[quote]Emotional detachment is a pagan ideal. It is praised by stoic philosophy and Buddhism. But it is contrary to Scripture. The Bible encourages fervent prayer.

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)

You can't do that without feelings. According to "Webster's Dictionary," the word "fervor" means "intensity of feeling or expression," and synonyms for "fervent" are "fiery, vehement, impassioned, passionate, eager, keen". If you are emotionally detached, then how can you pray fervently for someone?[/quote]

[url="http://www.arabicbible.com/testimonies/Jacqueline.html"]http://www.arabicbible.com/testimonies/Jacqueline.html[/url]

[url="http://www.bereanbeacon.org/test2.htm"]http://www.bereanbeacon.org/test2.htm[/url]

Literally living behind bars...

:sadder:

[img]http://www.adn.com/adn/yip/images/6A.jpg[/img]
[i]
The Sisters of Perpetual Adoration greeted Bishop Roger Schwietz in late January. Schwietz was installed as coadjutor archbishop in March and will serve in that position until Archbishop Francis Hurley retires in the next two years. Schwietz asked the cloistered nuns to pray for him. (Photo by Erik Hill)[/i]

Think about it the bishop gets to come and go as he pleases...while they are basically serving out a minimum security prison sentence.

Thy Geekdom Come

Budge, if they didn't want to be cloistered, they should have chosen a non-cloistered order. You can't attack the Church for keeping nuns behind bars when the nuns put themselves there.

Anyway, the idea of the bars isn't to keep the nuns in, but the world out. ;)

cmotherofpirl

A cloistered order is a power house of prayer, because we are to pray unceasingly. The world is a distraction and interferes with their relationship with God, so it needs kept out. Jesus went to the desert to pray. Several phatmassers have joined these orders and we are their prayers. :) and they are in ours. Praise God.

Maybe you should try a silent retreat in an abby so yuo actually know what you are talking about.

cathoholic_anonymous

I've already posted a long response in the other thread, but I just wanted to share what those bars remind me of: the grate of a blazing fireplace or the bars on the side of a lantern.

What amazing light.

cmotherofpirl

btw this is the second time you have tried this particular threadline with the same pics, it didn't work this time either.
Don't try the same thread again.

[quote]A cloistered order is a power house of prayer, because we are to pray unceasingly. The world is a distraction and interferes with their relationship with God, so it needs kept out. Jesus went to the desert to pray. Several phatmassers have joined these orders and we are their prayers. smile.gif and they are in ours. Praise God.[/quote]Sure I see their posts, I think what a shame...

Especially the photos of the young 20 something girls with iron bars seperating them from their families.

I know you got several people here joining up.

Jesus didnt STAY in the desert for good, that is point I make elsewhere.
[quote]
Maybe you should try a silent retreat in an abby so yuo actually know what you are talking about.[/quote]

Ive been on retreats when I was a teenager and in first year of college before I left to the UUs.

One had instituted silence. I didnt think it did anything for me spiritually but to help push me towards the UUs...I can spend hours alone and be content but I remember one of those last retreats how it made even "god" himself seem cold and uncaring. True Christian fellowship is the complete opposite. Praying together,Without a church now, I guess I am living more like Im on silent retreat. I love to pray for hours a day but Ive had a hole of Chrisitan fellowship that I have felt big time since Ive moved from my last church.. At least it seems I have found a new Christian fundamentalist church to visit next week and see if that could be a new church home. Christians are not to meant to live in a vaccumn seperated from one another. We are to be the SALT of the world, ie spreading the gospel and more in the world. How can this be done in a CLOSED UP CONVENT?

{its not the same thread, I just reused a picture}

MissScripture

They have eachother, first of all. That would be a community. And they have the hundreds of people they pray for. Closeness need not be physical.

[quote]They have eachother, first of all. That would be a community[/quote]

Sure even I admit that is an appeal.

I hope for the sake of the young girls here signing up they dont follow those rules like no particular friendships and other nonsense.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1219868' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:42 AM']Sure I see their posts, I think what a shame...

Especially the photos of the young 20 something girls with iron bars seperating them from their families.

I know you got several people here joining up.

Jesus didnt STAY in the desert for good, that is point I make elsewhere.
Ive been on retreats when I was a teenager and in first year of college before I left to the UUs.

One had instituted silence. I didnt think it did anything for me spiritually but to help push me towards the UUs...I can spend hours alone and be content but I remember one of those last retreats how it made even "god" himself seem cold and uncaring. True Christian fellowship is the complete opposite. Praying together,Without a church now, I guess I am living more like Im on silent retreat. I love to pray for hours a day but Ive had a hole of Chrisitan fellowship that I have felt big time since Ive moved from my last church.. At least it seems I have found a new Christian fundamentalist church to visit next week and see if that could be a new church home. Christians are not to meant to live in a vaccumn seperated from one another. We are to be the SALT of the world, ie spreading the gospel and more in the world. How can this be done in a CLOSED UP CONVENT?

{its not the same thread, I just reused a picture}[/quote]
Same general theme, come up with something new, instead of repeating the party line.
[b]But they are living in Community remember? :)[/b] And the world is at their door constantly with prayer requests, counseling requests, people visiting etc. If they want time to pray without distractions they NEED their grills. God is much closer and personal without the distractions of the world.

The separation is voluntary:) Families can come visit and they can always write. As I said an enclosed order is a powerhouse of unceasing prayer. Praise God.

I don't understand what is ashame about ppl entering the cloistered life? Could you elaborate why you feel sorry for such nuns for example?

[quote name='-I---Love' post='1219884' date='Mar 26 2007, 11:11 AM']I don't understand what is ashame about ppl entering the cloistered life? Could you elaborate why you feel sorry for such nuns for example?[/quote]

I think it boils down to they cant get married and have kids and they cant meet their souls quota

As a young woman who is currently discerning with a cloistered order, I can tell you that it is not uncommon for people without a monastic vocation to understand the draw towards cloistered life. It's not for everyone, only for those that were created for this particular vocation. Therefore, if you, Budge, imagine that you would be quite miserable in a cloisetered environment you may very well be correct! But that doesn't mean that cloistered life will make everyone miserable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a young woman forgoing an earthly relationship to enter into the desert to meet her Heavenly spouse. I cannot imagine anything more beautiful. Doesn't the Bible tell us that there are rewards for those who leave mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters to follow Christ?

God bless,
Lauren

Knight of the Holy Rosary

You kind of make it sound like these young women were kidnapped and are now being tortured behind bars... These [b]saints [/b][i]choose[/i] this life after years of 'trying it out'. They spend there time praying for the world, and are problably the ones keeping it afloat ;) .

They grow closer and closer to their divine spouse Jesus Christ every day. This sounds more like a prelude to Paradise to me.