An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass Is A Mortal Sin Yes Or No?

White Knight

White Knight

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1265976' date='May 6 2007, 01:01 PM']On the other hand, you have plenty of time to request a schedule change at work to accomodate BOTH Mass and the anniversary party. Ask for the whole weekend off if you can or switch with someone.[/quote]

I wish it were that simple, but thats a weekend, that they need many people to work, too many things are going on to the weekend prior to Forth of July weekend, plus I gotta ask off for Sunday June 17th, off for our Pastor's going away party and the welcoming of our new preist. I can't ask for too many days off, I already have to ask for the weekend of June 17th off for Mass and the party there.

lots of parishes have masses starting at at least 8am and sometimes something like 6am and many as late as 6 or 7 pm on Sundays... maybe your work schedule will allow you to make one of these masses...

I have a very bad stomach, so I miss mass about once a month. It smells of elderberries.

Wouldnt God want you to take the feelings of your family into consideration.

Why hurt others this way? A 50th anniversary party is a once in life time event, by doing this you will earn yourself strained family relationships.

Budge, since when are Christians (and yes, Catholics are Christians whether you want to believe it or not) supposed to be concerned about what others think/want as opposed to what GOD thinks/wants?

And Aaron, remember that Jesus said He didn't come to bring peace but a sword -- if you have to miss your grandparents' anniversary party in order to attend Mass and others get their feelings hurt because of it, so be it. Jesus and various saints endured far worse flack from others for doing what God wanted than most of us poor sinners ever will.

Edited by Dave

I think Jesus would want him taking the feelings of his grandparents first and avoiding family strife that may come about from this for years and hurt feelings.

I would miss church one day to go help a grandparent or see them and for a family event. Go to mass on Monday...[see this is the stuff IM talking about when I say Catholicism leads people to put rules ABOVE LOVE for others]. your grandparents arent going to be around forever and I think you will regret treating them this way.

Edited by Budge

homeschoolmom

[quote name='White Knight' post='1265990' date='May 6 2007, 01:19 PM']I wish it were that simple, but thats a weekend, that they need many people to work, too many things are going on to the weekend prior to Forth of July weekend, plus I gotta ask off for Sunday June 17th, off for our Pastor's going away party and the welcoming of our new preist. I can't ask for too many days off, I already have to ask for the weekend of June 17th off for Mass and the party there.[/quote]
Skip asking for the 17th off. Skip the goodbye party for your pastor and welcoming the new priest (I know, I would hate to miss those events, too). However, when priortizing days off, going to Fr.'s goodbye party is lower than Grandma and Grandpa's party and your weekly obligation.

[quote name='Budge' post='1266850' date='May 7 2007, 01:04 PM']I think Jesus would want him taking the feelings of his grandparents first and avoiding family strife that may come about from this for years and hurt feelings.[/qupte]

You "think" ... problem is, this is about what YOU think, Budge, not what God thinks.

[quote]I would miss church one day to go help a grandparent or see them and for a family event. Go to mass on Monday...[see this is the stuff IM talking about when I say Catholicism leads people to put rules ABOVE LOVE for others]. your grandparents arent going to be around forever and I think you will regret treating them this way.[/quote]

If your grandparent needed necessary help on Sunday which would cause you to have to miss Mass, that would be a different story. It would surely be ok to miss Mass under those circumstances in the eyes of God and His Church. But we're not talking about helping others. So no, there's no putting rules above love for others here. That's just how YOU choose to interpret it.

Proud2BCatholic139

Once, I had my wisdom teeth pulled and I was completely miserable. I couldn't even talk. Then, I was told to miss Mass by my parents.
Whenever I have an obligation on Sunday, I will go to Mass on Saturday.

Why can't you go on Sunday? Where I am from there are Masses almost all day Sunday (from 8am-10pm is the last one). You can't find ANY Sunday Masses that work around your work schedule?

Or why can't you book that Sunday off? You are giving them 2 months notice for Pete's sake.

I think you may not want to go to the anniversary.

[quote name='White Knight' post='1265990' date='May 6 2007, 12:19 PM']I wish it were that simple, but thats a weekend, that they need many people to work, too many things are going on to the weekend prior to Forth of July weekend, plus I gotta ask off for Sunday June 17th, off for our Pastor's going away party and the welcoming of our new preist. I can't ask for too many days off, I already have to ask for the weekend of June 17th off for Mass and the party there.[/quote]

Sorry, I just read this.

I would hope that the anniversary is more important to you than your pastor's going away party. Pick your priorities. No offense, it sounds like you are asking for support to ditch out on your grandparents' anniversary.

homeschoolmom

Sunday is the obligatory one, though. Saturday evening counts as a Sunday mass (in the tradition of the Jewish sabbath starting at sun down). Daily masses are optional. :)

Sojourner

[quote name='Budge' post='1266850' date='May 7 2007, 12:04 PM']I think Jesus would want him taking the feelings of his grandparents first and avoiding family strife that may come about from this for years and hurt feelings.

I would miss church one day to go help a grandparent or see them and for a family event. Go to mass on Monday...[see this is the stuff IM talking about when I say Catholicism leads people to put rules ABOVE LOVE for others]. your grandparents arent going to be around forever and I think you will regret treating them this way.[/quote]
While I don't agree that it's OK to totally miss Mass that weekend, I think Budge is right on with the attempt to avoid family strife.

If they were asking for an entire weekend and you had no opportunity to go to Mass then you might have a point. But this is a party on Saturday afternoon, and it's your grandparents' 50th anniversary. That kind of longevity in marriage is rare, and to have it in your family is a good thing and a blessing that you should be eager to celebrate. It does not preclude your attendance at Mass at another time to fulfill the obligation. This is something I would recommend that you make a priority.

Norseman82

[quote name='Budge' post='1266850' date='May 7 2007, 01:04 PM']I think Jesus would want him taking the feelings of his grandparents first and avoiding family strife that may come about from this for years and hurt feelings.[/quote]

Really? You have a personal 1-800 line that tells you what Jesus thinks about everything? Did you ever consider offering your services to a certain German man currently living in Rome? Because I also recall Christ saying that He would pit various family members against one another.