An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missing Mass Is A Mortal Sin Yes Or No?

White Knight

The passage where Jesus said, "I came to bring a sword, not peace..." comes to mind. I don't see why you can't go to an early mass on Sunday and still spend time with your grandparents, better yet, why they can't spend time with you and Jesus at mass. I'm no theologian, but reflecting over it I can see the statement made when one decides to not spend time with Jesus at mass and do something else, even if it be with family. Jesus did say if anyone chooses their mother or father over Him they are not fit to be His disciple, a very powerful statement, and it honestly scares me to think about it. I would pray and try convincing your grandparents to go with you to an early mass on Sunday, it would be wonderful if they could thank Jesus personally for those 50 years together.

• 2 weeks later...
uppercut55

This is from a book by Father Laux

"The center and soul of public worship is the Mass. At thos most sacred funtion the eternal High Priest Himself stands in the assembly of the faithful, in order to offer sacrifice for them and make intercession for them. At the altar all the barriers of time and space that seperate the 'three great provinces of the kingdom of God,' the Church milatent (us) suffering (those in purgatory), and the triumphant (those in heaven), are removed, each taking part, according to its needs and powers, n the blessings of the Eucharistic Sacrifice."

Because the Mass is the sublimest of all forms of worship and for the individual soul the souce of richest blessings, the Church gathers the faithful around her altars on Sundays anad Holy-days for the celabration of the sacred mysteries, and [i][/i]obliges them under pain of mortal sin to be present,[i][/i] unless weighty reasons prevent them.

you said the party was from 1 to 5 (or was it 2 to 5?)? anyway, could you leave a little early to still get to the 5 p.m. Mass?

You could just leave you grandma's party right on time and make sure to get to Mass on Saturday night right before the Offertory starts so that you would fulfill your obligation so long as you stayed until after the priest communicated.

[quote name='White Knight' post='1265731' date='May 6 2007, 12:11 AM']I explained this to my family, my grand parents want me to miss mass on the July 28th, for their 50th Wedding Anniversary, and they even questioned me on this, I replied back with my defence, and said, its a Mortal Sin to Miss Mass, however I'm wondering, Does this count as a serious reason? [b]I personally dont think it is[/b], I strongly believe inless its a LIFE or DEATH Matter, its not a premittable excuse, and is actually committing Mortal Sin, Am I right on this, if so, can you give me some tips on how to explain this better to my Non-Catholic Family?
Also is it debateable, to discuss how serious something has to be in order to miss mass? Like Work for example, if someone has a job that doesn't really involve serious matters, then missing Mass is not permittable correct?
I can understand a firefighter having to miss mass in order to save peoples' lives from a blazing inferno building or house, or even a doctor trying to pervent someone from going into cartiyact arrest while mass is going on, I strongly believe it is matters like this that can be premitted as a "Serious" excuse in order to miss Mass, and not have it be Mortal Sin, Am I right on this or leaning to extremely? or what?

Is this debateable?
[b]Thank You God Bless You, Pax Christi, Happy 5th Sunday of Easter, of the 50 Days of the Easter Season.[/b][/quote]
I haven't gone to a Roman Catholic Mass in over 9 years.

I guess I have committed a mortal sin.

GodChaser is going to hell yet again. :sadder:

Katholikos

God Chaser,

Missing Mass without a compelling reason, such as illness, is a mortal sin. Whether or not you individually are guilty of mortal sin and are hell-bound only God, who knows the heart, has certain knowledge. We don't judge souls. We do not know who is and who is not in hell and who is going to hell now or in the future.

But you should be worried. The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ for the salvation of the world; the Church speaks for Christ, and to reject His Church is to reject both Christ and His Father (Luke 10:16).

Praying for your conversion,

Likos

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1280912' date='May 24 2007, 08:43 PM']God Chaser,

Missing Mass without a compelling reason, such as illness, is a mortal sin. Whether or not you individually are guilty of mortal sin and are hell-bound only God, who knows the heart, has certain knowledge. We don't judge souls. We do not know who is and who is not in hell and who is going to hell now or in the future.

But you should be worried. The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ for the salvation of the world; the Church speaks for Christ, and to reject His Church is to reject both Christ and His Father (Luke 10:16).

Praying for your conversion,

Likos[/quote]
I appreciate your concern brother.

It is always nice to see people who care about other people's souls.

But I am innocent of any wrong doing.

So let his be a gentle rebuke brother.

Let the lord judge between you and me.

I was catholic by name only, and went to church about 2 times. If the Roman Catholic Church was truly God's church, I don't think God would be too upset at someone who was never taught to be a Catholic, and he became a believer of God in another church, and was baptized in the name of the Son, Jesus Christ, for the remissions of his sins, because he believed scripture when someone said, being baptized in Jesus Name saves you from your sins!

G chaser,

[quote]GodChaser is going to hell yet again.[/quote]Is it really wise to speak lightly of hell?

[quote]I was catholic by name only, and went to church about 2 times. If the Roman Catholic Church was truly God's church, I don't think God would be too upset at someone who was never taught to be a Catholic, and he became a believer of God in another church, and was baptized in the name of the Son, Jesus Christ, for the remissions of his sins, because he believed scripture when someone said, being baptized in Jesus Name saves you from your sins![/quote]

Unfortunately that was the case with many of us, myself included, but we have to remember each of us has a responsibility to learn. We must make some effort to know God, we can't excuse ourselves by saying we were never taught properly, especially since in our day discovering true teaching is readily available.

The Catholic Church is the True Church because it is the one Jesus founded, it possesses the means of salvation and blessed us with the Bible and preservation of Apostolic teaching and practice. You are no longer that ignorant "name only Catholic," and you willfully reject and attack the Body of Christ, and so you should consider the very real risk you put your soul in, it may put you in hell after all, and so it is no laughing matter.

'O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of Thy Mercy.'

[quote name='mortify' post='1281744' date='May 26 2007, 12:43 PM']G chaser,

Is it really wise to speak lightly of hell?
Unfortunately that was the case with many of us, myself included, but we have to remember each of us has a responsibility to learn. We must make some effort to know God, we can't excuse ourselves by saying we were never taught properly, especially since in our day discovering true teaching is readily available.

The Catholic Church is the True Church because it is the one Jesus founded, it possesses the means of salvation and blessed us with the Bible and preservation of Apostolic teaching and practice. You are no longer that ignorant "name only Catholic," and you willfully reject and attack the Body of Christ, and so you should consider the very real risk you put your soul in, it may put you in hell after all, and so it is no laughing matter.
'O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of Thy Mercy.'[/quote]
I appreciate your concern.

Here's the problem with your claim.

Every single church in the world claims to be the true church? Ask a Catholic Priest - yes because. Ask a Lutheran Priest - yes because. Ask a Baptist - yes because. Ask a Pentecostal - yes because.

Which church has doctrinal superiority? Which one is truly the true church everybody needs to go to?

Answer me this - I might consider going 'Catholic' if you can describe to me what time period in the 2nd chapter of the book of Joel - What does Pope Benedict say we are in?

And answer me this question -

Who is suppose to gather Israel?

And another quesetion -

When does the ingathering of Israel happen? Does it happened before or after Babylon has been judged? Does it happen before or after the latter day outpouring?

Answer me all these questions in your Catholic Handbooks, and I might consider the Catholic religion to be God's mouth in the world.

If not, I am firmly confident that I am in the hand of the Lord, in his word, and in his will.

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1281979' date='May 26 2007, 11:17 PM']I appreciate your concern.

Here's the problem with your claim.

Every single church in the world claims to be the true church? Ask a Catholic Priest - yes because. Ask a Lutheran Priest - yes because. Ask a Baptist - yes because. Ask a Pentecostal - yes because.

Which church has doctrinal superiority? Which one is truly the true church everybody needs to go to?

Answer me this - I might consider going 'Catholic' if you can describe to me what time period in the 2nd chapter of the book of Joel - What does Pope Benedict say we are in?

And answer me this question -

Who is suppose to gather Israel?

And another quesetion -

When does the ingathering of Israel happen? Does it happened before or after Babylon has been judged? Does it happen before or after the latter day outpouring?

Answer me all these questions in your Catholic Handbooks, and I might consider the Catholic religion to be God's mouth in the world.

If not, I am firmly confident that I am in the hand of the Lord, in his word, and in his will.[/quote]

Let me guess, all the other churches are wrong and you a "demagogue"? a lone ranger? your right? Arent you doing the same thing you claim these other churches are doing? This is why sola scriptura was a disaster from the very beginning. You have made yourselves into the word of God, you have given yourself "doctrinal superiority" you go from church to church, congregation to congregation service to service trying to find christ until you end up with just you and your bible and your interpretation. Divided and scattered and without Christ. Just a bad attitude towards everyone who disagrees with your version of the gospel. Leave the book of revelation alone before you hurt yourself. You didnt write it and add it to the bible, its not your to interpret. Leave the endtimes alone its not for us to know times and dates and when things are to happen. My goodness. How can some people be so obcessed with the end of the world?

Edited by Akalyte

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1280880' date='May 24 2007, 09:13 PM']I haven't gone to a Roman Catholic Mass in over 9 years.

I guess I have committed a mortal sin.

GodChaser is going to hell yet again. :sadder:[/quote]
Dude, who specifically said that you are going to Hell?

Certainly not someone who is representing the Catholic Church. We have no right to make judgements on anyone else's soul. Just their actions. No one knows whether you are going to hell...frankly, they don't need to know.

But thanks for the strawman's argument. :detective:

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1282048' date='May 27 2007, 08:27 AM']Let me guess, all the other churches are wrong and you a "demagogue"? a lone ranger? your right? Arent you doing the same thing you claim these other churches are doing? This is why sola scriptura was a disaster from the very beginning. You have made yourselves into the word of God, you have given yourself "doctrinal superiority" you go from church to church, congregation to congregation service to service trying to find christ until you end up with just you and your bible and your interpretation. Divided and scattered and without Christ. Just a bad attitude towards everyone who disagrees with your version of the gospel. Leave the book of revelation alone before you hurt yourself. You didnt write it and add it to the bible, its not your to interpret. Leave the endtimes alone its not for us to know times and dates and when things are to happen. My goodness. How can some people be so obcessed with the end of the world?[/quote]
Dude, just answer his question. He is not claiming to be the only one who is right about God. He's pointing out a serious misgiving that people have about religion--that most every major religion in the world is convinced that they are the One True Faith.

And please, please remember charity. :) It's completely unnecesary to claim that GodChaser has a bad attitude, even if it turns out to be true. :)