An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns Picture Thread

EJames

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284152015' post='2171518']
Although this picture is posed, and a tad overly "sweet" and romanticized for my personal taste (obviously, I am not a Carmelite), it is still lovely. I also appreciated finally getting to see what the prie-dieu of a religous Sister or nun might look like. I have seen them in in churches, obviously, but, from the descriptions I've read, it sounded as if the prie-dieu in the cell of a religious is somewhat different, and also serves multiple purposes (storage of books, maybe even a storage compartment in the kneeler, etc.).

I am obviously "soft" because I would find it difficult to kneel for very long without a cushion for the kneeler. I still have a hard time imagining the faith and physical discipline of Christians in the past, who weren't even in full-time religious life, having no pews, and having to stand for long periods or kneel on a stone floor, much less the physical disciplines that religious in the past (and many today) endure without complaint--and often embrace. Perhaps it's something your body gets used to over time--or your faith and self-discipline grows over time.

On the other hand, I have to continually work at not feeling guilty, because for health reasons, I can't even sit up in a chair in one position without moving around, for more than an hour or so without pain. (Even lying propped up on a couch, to prevent pain, I have to move at least a little, and ideally get up and walk around some, every 10 or 15 minutes.) So, what seems "impossible" for me, may still be difficult at times for others, but far more "possible." To make myself do what causes pain would not be an act of faith, but would make my condition worse, so I hope that God also listens to the prayers of those who are "kneeling in their heads," but are physically propped up on the couch.
[/quote]

I wonder what Order she is supposed to belong to because the habit isn't Carmelite and Carmelites don't have prie dieus in their cells and they don't have messy beds that they sit on during the day to gaze out the window at butterflies, or pots of flowers!

It is a very romantic scene, pre Vat 2 Benedictine? Or just unrealistic?

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284187992' post='2171769']
I wonder what Order she is supposed to belong to because the habit isn't Carmelite and Carmelites don't have prie dieus in their cells and they don't have messy beds that they sit on during the day to gaze out the window at butterflies, or pots of flowers!

It is a very romantic scene, pre Vat 2 Benedictine? Or just unrealistic?
[/quote]

Carmelites don't have prie dieus in their cells??? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

Uh oh.

Does Vee8 know about this?[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cry2.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/please.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/beg.gif[/img]

AccountDeleted

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1284209130' post='2171823']
Carmelites don't have prie dieus in their cells??? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

Uh oh.

Does Vee8 know about this?[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cry2.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/please.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/beg.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:)

I think vee knows a lot about Carmel doesn't she?

This is something like what Carmelites sit on to pray...
[img]http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab166/nunsense/images.jpg[/img]

or some of the older nuns still use a cushion to sit on but one sits on it sort of sidesaddle and I dont like how it twists my back. Before the cushions, they used to sit back on their heels with their habit rolled up as padding underneath them - this was when the habit was really long and thick and made a great cushion.

When I was on my live-in visit, one of their handmen made me two of these meditation benches, one for the cell and one for the choir. I love them. In WV and Kirk Edge, we used to keep the stool under the choir stall but at Nedlands, there isn't enough room (built differently), so we keep it on top of the choir stall seat. Mine has straight legs, not rocking ones like the pic here, and there is a small piece of flannel or carpet usually glued to the botton so the legs don't scratch the wood floor. Oh yeah, usually they are a dark brown color to match the wood of the choir stalls.

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284210014' post='2171825']

oh, I think I've seen something like that in the choir stalls at the Trappistine abbey.

I just remember she was so excited about a prie dieu in the guest room when she visited Carmel.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1284211981' post='2171829']

I just remember she was so excited about a prie dieu in the guest room when she visited Carmel.
[/quote]

Perhaps they have prie dieus in US Carmels? I don't know. I have been in Carmels in the UK, Canada and Australia and haven't seen one yet. I love them myself.

:woot: I like the prayer stool too! Very humble and simple yet practical, and in a way it shows greater poverty than the kneeler. Id be happy with both, either/or, or nothing. Maybe the guest room had the kneeler/prei dieu just to make things easier for the guest. If I get the chance I dont mind going back to find out :clapping:

a late edit to add
Looking at the pic from a practical standpoint, for me at least, I found I cant use a prie dieu when its right up against the wall like that. Im fairly tall so I dont know if height has anything to do with it but I had to pull the one in the guestroom away from the wall. Edited by vee8

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284210014' post='2171825']

oh, I think I've seen something like that in the choir stalls at the Trappistine abbey.

[/quote]

I've always wondered what was used by nuns in choir, because I've seen pictures of choir stalls where there is no obvious kneeler in front. I just figured that the nuns knelt on the floor, but I always wondered where they put the books they use in choir. (Sorry, I'm so dumb I don't know what to call the books used in praying the LOTH.)

vee8 WAS very excited about the prie dieu in her guest room at Carmel. But, from her description, it sounded to me as if she never went into the enclosure itself--she talked about speaking with the nuns behind the grille in the guest parlor, so perhaps she never actually saw one of the nun's cells. The Carmel she visited was in Canada.

Other VS folks are good at identifying habits--I'm not. The only thing I do know is that in "In This House of Brede" the nuns had prie dieux(?) in their cells. Like Nunsense, I wondered if this nun was pre-Vatican II Benedictine. However, in "In This House of Brede" the nuns brought their own sheets, and the sheets on the bed in the picture don't look like standard sheets, but specially woven coarse material. However, maybe every Benedictine monastery is different in that regard.

Somehow, the Benedictines don't strike me as an Order that sits around gazing into space, with butterflies coming in the window, but what do I know?

Also, in the few Orders that do have pictures of the cells online (such as the Nashville Dominicans) there does not seem to be prie dieu in the cell---but, this nun is obviously not Dominican anyway by the habit.

I wonder if this is some sort of romantic picture of a generic nun. The room itself looks European--I would have guessed French or Italian.

So, Nunsense, if you don't spend the day in Carmel, sitting on your rumpled bed, smelling rose plants and gazing at butterflies, what DO you do all day? LOL (That was a joke, in case anyone reading doesn't know my sense of humor.)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

TeresaBenedicta

Oh heck, why not. Here are some pictures from my graduation with future family:

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs339.ash1/29120_435768455983_619720983_5453868_3192103_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8le6cwg9g1qzdzqio1_500.jpg[/img]

[img]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8le8gfOj91qzdzqio1_500.jpg[/img]

The last one is of me and a good friend with whom I went to school with for a year-- she entered after her freshman year.

And yes, they came to my graduation. :dance:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284150210' post='2171502']
I apologize for being shallow--I know nothing about the charism or horarium of the "Pink Sisters" (although I am under the impression that they are cloistered contemplatives--someone please correct me if I have it wrong).

But, I LOVE their habits. The pink color, at least to me, is cheerful and beautiful--these do not appear to be "dour" saints. And, their veil is nothing short of awesome. Yes, this is very shallow, but from all I have read, religious life can be very difficult, and I am someone whose moods are very affected by color. On a very early, gloomy morning, or if I was feeling discouraged, I think putting on this habit would very much brighten my day and my mood.

This particular photo is VERY pink--maybe even a little TOO pink for my personal tastes. But from the Christmas tree in the corner, it is the celebration of one of the Church's most important festivals. So, even if I don't know if I'd ideally want EVERYTHING pink all the time, a pink habit would be wonderful.

I know others love black, and its symbolism--and although I personally would have problems wearing black all the time, I think the symbolism is beautiful. And, it doesn't seem as if most people are as affected by color as I am. But, for me, a habit in this lovely pink color would make religious life just that much more beautiful. The habit makes me smile every time I see it, and I expect that, although Christ loves all his brides equally, the habit makes Christ smile, as well.
[/quote]

I love the pink nuns. I often go on the weekend to vespers at their convent in Philadelphia, and when I can, I try to bring the sisters a little chocolate. They are very joyful and lovely sisters!

My community wears blue, in imitation of the Blessed Mother, and I couldn't imagine now wearing black. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I was doing it all the time!

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284150210' post='2171502']
I apologize for being shallow--I know nothing about the charism or horarium of the "Pink Sisters" (although I am under the impression that they are cloistered contemplatives--someone please correct me if I have it wrong).

But, I LOVE their habits. The pink color, at least to me, is cheerful and beautiful--these do not appear to be "dour" saints. And, their veil is nothing short of awesome. Yes, this is very shallow, but from all I have read, religious life can be very difficult, and I am someone whose moods are very affected by color. On a very early, gloomy morning, or if I was feeling discouraged, I think putting on this habit would very much brighten my day and my mood.

This particular photo is VERY pink--maybe even a little TOO pink for my personal tastes. But from the Christmas tree in the corner, it is the celebration of one of the Church's most important festivals. So, even if I don't know if I'd ideally want EVERYTHING pink all the time, a pink habit would be wonderful.

I know others love black, and its symbolism--and although I personally would have problems wearing black all the time, I think the symbolism is beautiful. And, it doesn't seem as if most people are as affected by color as I am. But, for me, a habit in this lovely pink color would make religious life just that much more beautiful. The habit makes me smile every time I see it, and I expect that, although Christ loves all his brides equally, the habit makes Christ smile, as well.
[/quote]

It's not very well known, but when the Holy Spirit Adoration Nuns (Pink Sisters) have to go out for doctor's appointments or such, they don a grey habit instead of the pink one. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1284224985' post='2171884']
Oh heck, why not. Here are some pictures from my graduation with future family:

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs339.ash1/29120_435768455983_619720983_5453868_3192103_n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8le6cwg9g1qzdzqio1_500.jpg[/img]

[img]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8le8gfOj91qzdzqio1_500.jpg[/img]

The last one is of me and a good friend with whom I went to school with for a year-- she entered after her freshman year.

And yes, they came to my graduation. :dance:
[/quote]

:clapping: How good to see Mother M. Joy of Martrys and Sr. M. Acahauto (sp?)!!!!! I :heart: them.

What is your friend's name (the novice)?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284232480' post='2171936']
:clapping: How good to see Mother M. Joy of Martrys and Sr. M. Acahauto (sp?)!!!!! I :heart: them.

What is your friend's name (the novice)?
[/quote]

:smile2:

My friend is Sr. Notre Dame de Victoires!! AND GUESS WHAT?! SHE CALLED ME TODAY!!! Hahahaha :shocking: I couldn't believe it-- just after I had been thinking of her this morning and posted this picture!!

AND LC, Sr. Blessed Sacrament is now MOTHER BLESSED SACRAMENT in Bridgeport, CT!!!!!!!!!!!

Annnnnnd first vows will be Oct. 1st, it looks like. :whistle: Sadly I can't go. :(

Edit: Just adding that you spelled Sr. M. Acahauto's name correctly :like:

Edited by TeresaBenedicta

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1284244716' post='2172020']
:smile2:

My friend is Sr. Notre Dame de Victoires!! AND GUESS WHAT?! SHE CALLED ME TODAY!!! Hahahaha :shocking: I couldn't believe it-- just after I had been thinking of her this morning and posted this picture!!

AND LC, Sr. Blessed Sacrament is now MOTHER BLESSED SACRAMENT in Bridgeport, CT!!!!!!!!!!!

Annnnnnd first vows will be Oct. 1st, it looks like. :whistle: Sadly I can't go. :(

Edit: Just adding that you spelled Sr. M. Acahauto's name correctly :like:
[/quote]

Awwwwwwww!!! That's so EXCITING!!! I'm so excited to hear about MOTHER Blessed Sacrament!! :clapping: Man, I love her.

Were you able to hear about any of the other destinos? (They haven't posted a "noticia" on the international page yet!)

Will First Vows also be in NYC at St. Patrick's? <_< :smile3:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284245592' post='2172027']
Awwwwwwww!!! That's so EXCITING!!! I'm so excited to hear about MOTHER Blessed Sacrament!! :clapping: Man, I love her.

Were you able to hear about any of the other destinos? (They haven't posted a "noticia" on the international page yet!)

Will First Vows also be in NYC at St. Patrick's? <_< :smile3:
[/quote]

M. Blessed Sacrament is GREAT!!! She gave me a hard time for knowing the recent news on the US website, hahaha. :blush: Then she gave me one of the "knowing" looks.... Ha! I just remember first time in the Juniorate house and hearing them yell upstairs for 'Blessed Sacrament'!! I was like :o . I hadn't realized that that was her [i]name[/i] LOL!!!!

I haven't heard about anyone else-- both M. Blessed Sacrament and M. Joy were... whatever you call 'ems... at the Novitiate, so that's who Sr. Victoires updated me with.

As for First vows, I think they're going to be done at the Shrine in DC. That's where they were last year and she didn't indicate that they were elsewhere.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1284245903' post='2172031']
M. Blessed Sacrament is GREAT!!! She gave me a hard time for knowing the recent news on the US website, hahaha. :blush: Then she gave me one of the "knowing" looks.... Ha! I just remember first time in the Juniorate house and hearing them yell upstairs for 'Blessed Sacrament'!! I was like :o . I hadn't realized that that was her [i]name[/i] LOL!!!!

I haven't heard about anyone else-- both M. Blessed Sacrament and M. Joy were... whatever you call 'ems... at the Novitiate, so that's who Sr. Victoires updated me with.

As for First vows, I think they're going to be done at the Shrine in DC. That's where they were last year and she didn't indicate that they were elsewhere.
[/quote]

Love your photos - thanx for sharing with us. :like: