An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict To Canonize Brazilian Folk Magician

Budge

Budge attacks the church from all sides! The only thing we should be talking with her about is" sola' scriptura", It is the foundation of all her thinking. Prove to her how UNBIBLICAL it is and she, if she is true to Jesus Christ, she must walk away from that line of thinking!! Nothing else matters at this point! She will continue on her crusade because now she has a purpose and it makes her feel important! I say stick with the "bible alone" subject, and NOTHING ELSE until she, through the grace of GOD see's the errors of her thinking. Take the battle up in her own field! Does not Christ remind us,If a person is sinning tell them,have we not done that? What is the next step? We take it to the church. Only she has no church. Or does she???.........It is our church she has......she was catholic. So budge, If we can prove to you how unbiblical the teaching of the bible alone is,will you listen? Or will you just keep ranting on and on about "dressing barbies" and "eating pills". This will be very telling as to your commitment to Christ or to your commitment to yourself,your power and your pride! Will you truly follow Christ where He wants you to go!???? Even it it was back to the Catholic Church? JC

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Staretz' post='1269238' date='May 9 2007, 03:29 PM']I see nothing in the real story to justify him being called a "folk magician".[/quote]This is an excellent observation that is worth repeating. Budge's Ten Commandments include "Thou shalt not bear false witness," though I don't think she's ever read that far.

I think if that line was inside a thread about a person being canonized, a mod would fix it. Is it possible to fix it in the title of a thread? A saint - or soon to be saint - should not be permitted to be mocked like that on a Catholic board.

Not to mention her reference that saints are demi-gods.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1270122' date='May 10 2007, 12:31 PM']This is an excellent observation that is worth repeating. Budge's Ten Commandments include "Thou shalt not bear false witness," though I don't think she's ever read that far.[/quote]

Nope. She seems really hung up on the first one, which Bugeianity split in two.

misereremi

[quote name='prose' post='1270160' date='May 10 2007, 09:28 PM']A saint - or soon to be saint - should not be permitted to be mocked like that on a Catholic board.[/quote]
Thank you.

Norseman82

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1269359' date='May 9 2007, 04:00 PM']You'll have to wait. budge is vacationing. :tumbleweed:[/quote]

Was it a one-way ticket?

Edited by Norseman82

Norseman82

[quote name='Budge' post='1269285' date='May 9 2007, 03:02 PM']Nice to close your eyes to everything you dont like, kind of convienient.[/quote]

And just how is that any different than running off to start a new thread instead of answering the questions posed to one in an old?

kamiller42

[quote name='Budge' post='1269219' date='May 9 2007, 02:18 PM'][b]Exd 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.[/b][/quote]
That includes making yourself a god.

[b]He summoned the crowd and said to them, "Hear and understand.
It is not what enters one's mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles one." Mt 15:10-11[/b]
You show a lot of concern about what enters the mouth with no regard for what comes out of your own.

Guest JeffCR07

I'd also like to point out that while yes, it is a strange devotional practice, and no, these nuns should not be doing it if it is prohibited by the Church, it is actually not all that strange from a scholarly perspective. It bears strong resemblence to the Jewish practice of wearing tefillin or having a mezuzah, as well as being an imitation of the actions of both John and Ezekiel, both of whom ate scrolls by divine commandment.

While I am not advocating the practice, I think this conversation would benefit greatly from a more scholarly approach in which the practice is understood with an eye to its historical roots or similarities and to scriptural passages from which it may stem.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='Budge' post='1269185' date='May 9 2007, 02:50 PM']On his trip to Brazil this week, B16 will raise to "sainthood" Brazil's first indigenous "saint."

Now very little has been said about him to date, so, shall we have a LOOKSEE into WHY the Catholic Church considers this prelate worthy of being a demigod?

Im sorry but eating paper prayers is witchcraft...
[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117868203365996868.html"]PRAYER PILLS GETTING POPULAR[/url]

Ok the wooden barbie doll games were bad enough, but canonizing this guy who is basically ADVANCING superstition and WITCHCRAFT?

Are you all going to start chopping down on your Mead Notebooks full of prayers soon?[/quote]

My memory is very poor [a problem I have] and I can get confused but Jesus used spit and mud. [correct?] So if Our Lord can do this why can't mere humans use what they have? I think Papa Benedict is holding the man and his life up as an example [his holiness] Keep your eyes trained on heaven...not the paper trail behind you

journeyman

[quote name='Budge' post='1269304' date='May 9 2007, 02:17 PM']What false premise is that?

Putting your trust in chowing down magic pieces of paper is bad?[/quote]

The premise Budge offers is miracle through magic paper pills
The premise I saw in the article is miracle through intercessory prayer

The modality of the prayer is what is throwing Budge off
Is prayer any less efficacious if done in an unorthodox manner?

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1276886' date='May 18 2007, 07:22 PM']My memory is very poor [a problem I have] and I can get confused but Jesus used spit and mud. [correct?] So if Our Lord can do this why can't mere humans use what they have? I think Papa Benedict is holding the man and his life up as an example [his holiness] Keep your eyes trained on heaven...not the paper trail behind you[/quote]Great point. Even if we leave aside that Budge's accusation of "folk magician" is totally baseless, how would the religion of Budgianity deal with a Jewish "folk magician" who healed with spit and mud?

Ironically, Budge's lies bear a striking resemblance to the ancient Jewish attacks on Jesus and the early Christians.

Edited by Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1277490' date='May 19 2007, 03:17 PM']Great point. Even if we leave aside that Budge's accusation of "folk magician" is totally baseless, how would the religion of Budgianity deal with a Jewish "folk magician" who healed with spit and mud?

Ironically, Budge's lies bear a striking resemblance to the ancient Jewish attacks on Jesus and the early Christians.[/quote]
I was thinking along the same lines today... anywho... when is Budge coming back? That, is... when is she allowed to post again?