An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kids Making Their Own First Communion Bread

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[url="http://www.stmonicamoraga.com/pix_first_comm_06_pg4.htm"]Found this[/url] when looking through different churches around where my parents live. There are photos of kids making the bread for their First Communion. It also has them all sitting on the altar during the Mass. Is this legit?

I'm unfortunately not finding many churches out here in the East Bay of California where there's not some kind of liturgical abuse going on... :unsure:

aw no, i think its cute. we used to do that for our children's masses, it was great, AND i had a better view.

Regarding the bread, as long as they use the correct ingredients and are not adding anything extra to the mix, I think it's fine, but I'm not sure.

Having kids sit around the altar should not be a weekly thing (ie - weekly children's mass), as I think that anyone gathering around the altar is only allowed in extraordinary circumstances.

Personally, in these pictures, since it seems to be only for the group of kids receiving their first communion, I have no problem with it. This is definitely an extraordinary day for them!

That is so cool to see, I think it is a good way for the kids to actually get involved in their special day.

I like it. It really doesn't affect the Mass itself, unless the wrong ingredients are used. Also, it gets the kinds kinda of involved in the process. I think they'll be more enthusiastic when they receive Jesus, like "Hey i helped make that!"

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1271343' date='May 11 2007, 02:39 PM']Do boogers in the host invalidate the mass?[/quote]

:rolling:

Edited by Terra Firma

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' post='1271168' date='May 11 2007, 12:23 PM']It also has them all sitting on the altar during the Mass. Is this legit?[/quote]

ye gave me a heart attack with this line..I pictured a bunch of tots sitting ON the altar table itself...

Then, I looked at the pics...so sweet...nothing wrong here...boogers not withstanding

I really like the making the bread idea (if they use the right ingredients of course) the whole process might help them meditate on the fact that it will become the body of Christ :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1271368' date='May 11 2007, 04:12 PM']ye gave me a heart attack with this line..I pictured a bunch of tots sitting ON the altar table itself...

Then, I looked at the pics...so sweet...nothing wrong here...boogers not withstanding[/quote]
I thought the same thing.

I think it's fine, although personally after 24 years as a priest in a parish I would not do it.

I think by doing this sort of thing you can create an "unreal" atmosphere and give the Mass a surreal feeling which is not replicated Sunday after Sunday.

That's only my personal opinion, there's nothing wrong with inviting the children out the front for a little homily or making the bread providing the rules about the bread for the Mass are followed.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

The bread that they make (on the website) looks a little thick. It makes me suspicious, unless they are Orthodox or Greek Catholic or something... I remember being given a plastic wrapped bread of loaf and we all went up on the sanctuary steps to listen to Fr. Mike give his First Communion homily. I was much more interested in the plastic wrap than anything Fr. Mike said. I even had thought about sneaking a little bread, but didn't. I don't remember much about it, but at the time, I did not consider how intense it really was. I think it had something to do with the wishwash kind of catechesis I was brought up on.

And the fact that I had just gotten over chicken pox before the Mass. I missed the rehersal.

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

homeschoolmom

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1271390' date='May 11 2007, 04:54 PM']The bread that they make (on the website) looks a little thick. It makes me suspicious, unless they are Orthodox or Greek Catholic or something... I remember being given a plastic wrapped bread of loaf and we all went up on the sanctuary steps to listen to Fr. Mike give his First Communion homily. I was much more interested in the plastic wrap than anything Fr. Mike said. I even had thought about sneaking a little bread, but didn't. I don't remember much about it, but at the time, I did not consider how intense it really was. I think it had something to do with the wishwash kind of catechesis I was brought up on.

And the fact that I had just gotten over chicken pox before the Mass. I missed the rehersal.[/quote]
The thickness shouldn't matter.