An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kids Making Their Own First Communion Bread

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1271644' date='May 12 2007, 12:17 AM']Yeah, like the previous poster said, ingredients really are a big deal. Whether we see the logic in it or not, the Eucharist cannot be validly consecrated if there are any ingredients added which are not supposed to be. I'm sure we've all heard of times when sweet bread, french bread, etc., have been used during the service. Those things can't be transubstantiated into the Body and Blood of Our Lord.[/quote]

ah. makes sense, but still..

[quote name='Maggie' post='1271949' date='May 12 2007, 03:14 PM']Well, the bread is always something "human hands have made," just like the wine is "work of human hands." It's not like they have to be a product of the particular worshiping community to be meaningful in that way.[/quote]
very true! VERY true!

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1271971' date='May 12 2007, 03:47 PM']To my knowledge, its pretty mechanical. Its not as if some person is standing there, cutting each perfect circle out of the dough.

I order a box of 30,000 hosts every 2 weeks, so I doubt its a very human process.[/quote]

heehee.. i used to imagine thousands of ppl with scissors cutting them out into prfect circles....

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1271368' date='May 11 2007, 05:12 PM']ye gave me a heart attack with this line..I pictured a bunch of tots sitting ON the altar table itself...

Then, I looked at the pics...so sweet...nothing wrong here...boogers not withstanding[/quote]
Hahaha... me too... and boogers? :blink:

Seriously though, who makes the hosts that are used normally for the Latin Ritual?

Paddington

Could a booger make it in somehow and then it be NOT considered an INGREDIENT and things would still be okay?
Just like a piece of dust laying on top would be there, but not an ingredient?

Totus Tuus

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1272568' date='May 13 2007, 06:22 PM']Seriously though, who makes the hosts that are used normally for the Latin Ritual?[/quote]

Most commonly, as far as I understand, it is religious communities which make the altar breads for most parishes.

Totuus Tuus, does the Bishop have to approve each bottle of wine, or the kind of wine bought? I thought I remember reading that somewhere, just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
MissScripture

At supper tonight, my sister-in-law said that they made their own first communion bread and her mom was in charge of the kitchen, and she kept getting mad at one of the kids for picking her nose. I thought of this thread, immediately!

homeschoolmom

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1283003' date='May 28 2007, 10:34 PM']At supper tonight, my sister-in-law said that they made their own first communion bread and her mom was in charge of the kitchen, and she kept getting mad at one of the kids for picking her nose. I thought of this thread, immediately![/quote]
Of course you did. It's normal to figure how phatmass threads blend in with your regular life... I bet you think to yourself, "I should make a thread about that" too, don't you...?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1283016' date='May 28 2007, 09:39 PM']Of course you did. It's normal to figure how phatmass threads blend in with your regular life... I bet you think to yourself, "I should make a thread about that" too, don't you...?[/quote]
I do.

I think of them from time to time driving home, but then forget to start them.

MissScripture

Me, too. I'll get a great idea for a thread and then get to the computer and forget, so I have to spend the rest of my night surfing Phatmass.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1272851' date='May 14 2007, 08:53 PM']Totuus Tuus, does the Bishop have to approve each bottle of wine, or the kind of wine bought? I thought I remember reading that somewhere, just curious.[/quote]

Can. 924 §1 The most holy Sacrifice of the Eucharist must be celebrated in bread, and in wine to which a small quantity of water is to be added.

§2 The bread must be wheaten only, and recently made, so that there is no danger of corruption.

§3 The wine must be natural, made from grapes of the vine, and not corrupt.

For validity the wine used at Mass must be natural pure unmixed with anything else. The places Altar wine are ususlly bought from are approved by the Bishop and should carry the approval on the label.

e.g. [url="http://www.zieglers.com/altar_wine.html"]http://www.zieglers.com/altar_wine.html[/url]