An Old School Catholic Message Board

Legitimacy Of The Death Penalty

dairygirl4u2c

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]2267 "Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people's safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm--without definitively taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself--the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity 'are rare, if not practically non-existent.' (NT: John Paul II, Evangelium vitae 56)[/quote]

Ragamuffin

I agree with the death penalty in principle, but not in practice. I think the application in the US is rather atrocious and not much of a deterrent. It's not a deterrent because of the lengthy appeals process. If executions were performed swiftly after the guilty verdict, then perhaps it would get people's attention.

On the other hand, the rather rotten application of justice in capital cases in this country makes a lengthy appeals process necessary. DNA evidence continues to exonerate people on death row and not all states give the accused easy access to such testing. Plus, the rate of guilty verdicts seems to be alarmingly correlated to the relative wealth and ability to hire a high-powered law firm to represent them in court. Wealthy defendants are far more likely to get off with a not guilty verdict than poor defendants that have to depend on public defenders or the cheapest lawyer they can find.

So personally, if I had the power to do so, I would put a moratorium on all executions and do extensive study into these and other problems with how the death penalty is handled in this country. If we could figure out steps to ensure that we aren't executing innocent people and that people are getting a good, solid defense regardless of wealth or other factors, then we could reinstitute it. If I can't be assured of that, then life without parole should become the highest penalty we give out.

Edited by Ragamuffin

cmotherofpirl

THis is the teaching:
"Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church [b]does not exclude recourse to the death pena[/b][u][/u]lty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor"

THis is the decision left up to the legitimate individual governments to decide:
"[b]If[/b][u][/u], however, non-lethal means are [b]sufficient to defend and protect [/b][u][/u]people's safety from the aggressor"

IrishSalesian

I cannot agree with the death penalty. The 10 Commandments even say "Thou Shalt not kill" Who are we to decide to take a life? Im sure we can put the person in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives. There is never need to kill a person, even if that person has killed. It is not our place as humans to take another's life. I just do not see any possibile justification for it.

Ragamuffin

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1285133' date='May 31 2007, 10:36 AM']I cannot agree with the death penalty. The 10 Commandments even say "Thou Shalt not kill" Who are we to decide to take a life? Im sure we can put the person in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives. There is never need to kill a person, even if that person has killed. It is not our place as humans to take another's life. I just do not see any possibile justification for it.[/quote]
The 10 Commandments say "Thou Shalt Not Murder." The Hebrew word that is sometimes translated as "kill" in that passage is a more specific term than the generic Hebrew word for "kill." To assert this broad definition into the 10 Commandments would in essence make God a breaker of His own Law when He commanded the Israelites to annihilate various Canannite peoples, not to mention His commands to execute people for various offenses in the Law such as having homosexual sex or murder.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Ragamuffin' post='1285134' date='May 31 2007, 12:41 PM']The 10 Commandments say "Thou Shalt Not Murder." The Hebrew word that is sometimes translated as "kill" in that passage is a more specific term than the generic Hebrew word for "kill." To assert this broad definition into the 10 Commandments would in essence make God a breaker of His own Law when He commanded the Israelites to annihilate various Canannite peoples, not to mention His commands to execute people for various offenses in the Law such as having homosexual sex or murder.[/quote]
How does one justify, at any time, taking another's life? Is that not murder? The government is not conscribed by God to kill those who kill.

Ragamuffin

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1285137' date='May 31 2007, 10:43 AM']How does one justify, at any time, taking another's life? Is that not murder? The government is not conscribed by God to kill those who kill.[/quote]
So, did God change his mind? Because He certainly gave Israel's government that conscription.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Ragamuffin' post='1285144' date='May 31 2007, 12:58 PM']So, did God change his mind? Because He certainly gave Israel's government that conscription.[/quote]
He gave it to them to free themselves from Slavery, not to kill as punishment for crimes. Also, as Catholics are we not taught, to repect life from conception to natural death?

Ragamuffin

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1285145' date='May 31 2007, 11:00 AM']He gave it to them to free themselves from Slavery, not to kill as punishment for crimes. Also, as Catholics are we not taught, to repect life from conception to natural death?[/quote]
No, he gave the Israelite government the right to execute murderers and those caught in homosexual acts for instance.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Ragamuffin' post='1285147' date='May 31 2007, 01:02 PM']No, he gave the Israelite government the right to execute murderers and those caught in homosexual acts for instance.[/quote]
Oh, ok. Sorry, I was on a different train of thought.

dairygirl4u2c

Even if we could be sure of someone's guilt, that doesn't mean we should execute them. That's the straightforward interpretation of the catechism. There are alternative means to prevent them from killing more. Especially today.

The only question I could see is whether the death is a deterrant, but I don't think it is. (not to mention that the idea of a deterrant goes against the general notion of the catechism that it's rarely needed. i'm sure they thought about deterrant effect. but, it's not discussed so we don't know)

Ragamuffin

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1285215' date='May 31 2007, 01:46 PM']Even if we could be sure of someone's guilt, that doesn't mean we should execute them. That's the straightforward interpretation of the catechism. There are alternative means to prevent them from killing more. Especially today.[/quote]
This is true. But I tend to look at it more like "even if we could be sure of someone's guilt, that doesn't mean we [b][i]have to[/i][/b] execute them." But we are permitted to, particularly if the crime is heinous enough or if we have reason to believe they are a danger to others even in a prison environment (guards, other inmates, et al).

Edited by Ragamuffin

IrishSalesian

Even if the Government says its ok. I dont think it is the Catechism states that it is ok to terminate someone if they pose an signifigant threat to society

dairygirl4u2c

I don't see any room for the heinous-ness of the act, the whether the person poses a threat (and perhaps arguably the derrence for others).

******If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people's safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity with the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm--without definitively taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself--the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity 'are rare, if not practically non-existent.' (NT: John Paul II, Evangelium vitae 56)

This topic I must admit, I avoid. I know it is quite important to understand though so here I am! At first I was for it. All I could think about was how the fithly scum bags do not deserve to live after what they have done,and some things were so horrible I would like it all to be gone from my brain but.............In saying that and watching" dead man walking" Studying what the church has taught ,reading the bible and being very pro-life. I would have to say that I know that Christ died for all of us, so that we can be in heaven with him someday. I know that in my heart ,so I pray for these men and women in prison. I wish we had a different system. I do not think that a criminal thinks to much about anything at the time he commits his/her crime,for whatever his motivations are.
I really wish that life in prison would be a motivating factor in NOT commiting crimes! But more then that, I wish that whatever brought these men and women to this point in there lives, can be somehow reconciled with Christs death on the cross for them. I hope and pray that this happens before they die. JC :rip:

Edited by jckinsman