Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty Survey  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Plus two questions:

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']Plus two questions:

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]

1. Help us respect you by showing yourself the kind of respect you want us to show you. If you treat yourself like, "what you see is what you get," then guys are just going to take advantage, take what they can get (since you're letting them see it anyway), and not think about what they can give.

2. It's my responsibility to guard myself, but it's also a woman's responsibility not to make me have to guard myself.

Posted (edited)

Guys notice how girls dress and judge accordingly. So if you wanna be a sluut, dress like one.

Edited by notardillacid
Posted

I agree with Raphael's comments basically.

As the old saying goes, a woman should hide her heart in God so that a man must go there to find it.

If you do not feel the need to dress modestly for your own self-worth and such, help us to avoid the temptation to lust by dressing prudently and modesty.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 06:41 PM']Plus two questions:

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]


Just as a note, for the 2nd poll question I put neutral because I try to respect all people, but, lets put it this way, My first impressions of a girl who dresses immodestly are not good- it speaks alot about her character I think.

1. Modest chicks are hot. Seriously though, the majority of girls dress immodestly. If you want to be noticed, do the opposite. Plus, the guys you are going to attract by showing more skin are the type of guys that are attracted to you for that reason, and will treat you accordingly.

2. My responsibility is to guard myself against viewing things that could be a threat to my purity, as well as guarding my mind from dwelling on such things. But my responsibility to guard only exists because there are things to guard against....immodesty is one of those things to guard against.

Posted

Just so the girls know, you can see the results without voting by clicking "Null Vote"

Posted

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

do you want the guy to imagine what its like to sleep with you, or what its like to fall in love with you?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?

guys must exercise SUCH discipline this day in age, because the girls either want to be portrayed as one desiring lustful thoughts or words--or they're simply ignorant that 5 inch long skirts + small tank tops don't turn a guy on.

i didn't go on to the Aftermass Records site and buy the Modest Is Hottest shirt for nothing! =P

PapaHilarious
Posted

[quote name='curtins' post='1396177' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:15 PM']Just as a note, for the 2nd poll question I put neutral because I try to respect all people, but, lets put it this way, My first impressions of a girl who dresses immodestly are not good- it speaks alot about her character I think.

1. Modest chicks are hot. Seriously though, the majority of girls dress immodestly. If you want to be noticed, do the opposite. Plus, the guys you are going to attract by showing more skin are the type of guys that are attracted to you for that reason, and will treat you accordingly.

2. My responsibility is to guard myself against viewing things that could be a threat to my purity, as well as guarding my mind from dwelling on such things. But my responsibility to guard only exists because there are things to guard against....immodesty is one of those things to guard against.[/quote]

I have to agree about the 2nd poll question. I voted neutral, too, because of the wording.

As for the other questions, I think our roles are complimentary. We should help the other sex by not dressing provocatively, while always remembering to guard our own hearts and minds from lust through avoiding the near occasions of sin and keeping close to the Sacraments.

If anyone's interested, I devote the closing section of [url="http://www.lulu.com/content/861316"]my book[/url] to issues of lust and the Christian response. Give it a read.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='PapaHilarious' post='1396223' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:28 PM']If anyone's interested, I devote the closing section of [url="http://www.lulu.com/content/861316"]my book[/url] to issues of lust and the Christian response. Give it a read.[/quote]
Shameless plug. :P

Posted

I think modestly is the stuff and voted like I think that.

Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. :idontknow:

Pants are cool. :cool:

Posted (edited)

I voted strongly agree for all three.

I know that I have to respect any lady as a human being, whether she is dressed immodestly or not, and I do. The reason why I voted "strongly agree" for no. 2 is that the respect I give for a lady who dresses excessively immodestly is a sort of "forced and belated respect". I mean that it does not come from me spontaneously. When I look at her, I have to think consciously, "She is a Daughter of God. I must respect her." and force the respect to come.

This is probably a fault in my character. A saint would be able to respect any lady, no matter how she is dressed.

Also, I think modesty works both ways. We boys need to dress modestly too.

[But how to define modest clothing for men? This is probably a trick question, but I would define it this way: We should wear formals whenever possible, even if the situation does not explicitly demand it. Shorts, tight shirts and vests that fit like superhero spandex costumes are also a no-no when in the company of ladies.]

As to the other questions, I find that when I see a lady dressed modestly, I feel an air of mystery about her. I feel like I'm in the presence of some superior being, and respect for her and awareness of her dignity comes naturally, without my having to will myself into feeling it.

I accept complete responsibility for my eyes and my thoughts. "She made me think lustful thoughts because she dressed immodestly" is an unmanly excuse, I feel. Even If I encounter an immodestly dressed lady and if it is necessary to interact with her, it is my responsibility to will myself to treat her with respect, as a human being, and not objectify her or dwell on her beauty too much that I am in danger of crossing the line over to lust. If I have no reason to interact with her, I should avert my eyes instantly.

Edited by Innocent
Posted

woops, for the first question i put strongly disagree....

i definitely meant strongly agree....sorry i misread it

Posted

great responses--i don't have to write much. i put strongly agree for all 3.

immodesty masks who she truly is...personality hidden, body revealed. it should be the other way around.

PapaHilarious
Posted

[quote name='Raphael' post='1396227' date='Oct 1 2007, 06:33 PM']Shameless plug. :P[/quote]

uh, yeah. my baby needs to eat. buy the book! :))

photosynthesis
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Paddington' post='1396230' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:37 PM']I think modestly is the stuff and voted like I think that.

Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. :idontknow:

Pants are cool. :cool:[/quote]
:lol: "giant skirts of thunder..."

Now I have this mental image of me walking into a room wearing a long skirt and hearing this huge clap of thunder. Come to think of it, it sounds kind of cool. "That's not the Last Judgment, it's just a woman in one of those 'giant skirts of thunder...'"

Edited by photosynthesis
Posted

Umm.... What's this "Giant Skirts of Thunder" thing? :scratchhead: I looked it up on Google, but couldn't figure it out.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?[/quote]

Please please please dress modestly. It hurts to see the girls I know personally who I know want to be better keep falling into the cultural norms. It hurts so much because sometimes I just want to show I can be better than the guys who lust, objectify, and use, but it's so painful and difficult to respect and uphold a friend who does not respect themself enough to just dress with dignity.

So please at least think of guys like me when you are deciding how much clothing you are putting on.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]

Show that it helps guys when girls respect themselves. Show that I can respect women for who they are and not how much they show.

Posted

[quote name='Paddington' post='1396230' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:37 PM']Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. :idontknow:[/quote]

Yeah, what is that supposed to mean? Skirts in general, or a certain type of skirts??

Posted

[quote name='Innocent' post='1396238' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:49 PM']I voted strongly agree for all three.

I know that I have to respect any lady as a human being, whether she is dressed immodestly or not, and I do. The reason why I voted "strongly agree" for no. 2 is that the respect I give for a lady who dresses excessively immodestly is a sort of "forced and belated respect". I mean that it does not come from me spontaneously. When I look at her, I have to think consciously, "She is a Daughter of God. I must respect her." and force the respect to come.

This is probably a fault in my character. A saint would be able to respect any lady, no matter how she is dressed.

Also, I think modesty works both ways. We boys need to dress modestly too.

[But how to define modest clothing for men? This is probably a trick question, but I would define it this way: We should wear formals whenever possible, even if the situation does not explicitly demand it. Shorts, tight shirts and vests that fit like superhero spandex costumes are also a no-no when in the company of ladies.]

As to the other questions, I find that when I see a lady dressed modestly, I feel an air of mystery about her. I feel like I'm in the presence of some superior being, and respect for her and awareness of her dignity comes naturally, without my having to will myself into feeling it.

I accept complete responsibility for my eyes and my thoughts. "She made me think lustful thoughts because she dressed immodestly" is an unmanly excuse, I feel. Even If I encounter an immodestly dressed lady and if it is necessary to interact with her, it is my responsibility to will myself to treat her with respect, as a human being, and not objectify her or dwell on her beauty too much that I am in danger of crossing the line over to lust. If I have no reason to interact with her, I should avert my eyes instantly.[/quote]
Very eloquent, Innocent. You put it better than I could have. I especially agree about the mystery of modest women and the "higher presence" thing. That's what I really like about my ladyfriend. She is very modest and she really made me notice when we first met.

An other note... I am also saddened when the lady-types do not dress modestly. It pains to see that they degrade themselves... for what? Who knows. Maybe acceptance? Ultimately love? They need to have a bit of time with Jesus... then their attitude should hopefully change.

Posted

[size=1]When considering modesty, potato sacks, muumuu's, tarps, and other various clothing styles are not very attractive either...
[/size]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...