An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Guys Only - Modesty Survey

Lil Red

Modesty Survey  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Plus two questions:

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']Plus two questions:

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]

1. Help us respect you by showing yourself the kind of respect you want us to show you. If you treat yourself like, "what you see is what you get," then guys are just going to take advantage, take what they can get (since you're letting them see it anyway), and not think about what they can give.

2. It's my responsibility to guard myself, but it's also a woman's responsibility not to make me have to guard myself.

Guys notice how girls dress and judge accordingly. So if you wanna be a sluut, dress like one.

Edited by notardillacid

I agree with Raphael's comments basically.

As the old saying goes, a woman should hide her heart in God so that a man must go there to find it.

If you do not feel the need to dress modestly for your own self-worth and such, help us to avoid the temptation to lust by dressing prudently and modesty.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 06:41 PM']Plus two questions:

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]

Just as a note, for the 2nd poll question I put neutral because I try to respect all people, but, lets put it this way, My first impressions of a girl who dresses immodestly are not good- it speaks alot about her character I think.

1. Modest chicks are hot. Seriously though, the majority of girls dress immodestly. If you want to be noticed, do the opposite. Plus, the guys you are going to attract by showing more skin are the type of guys that are attracted to you for that reason, and will treat you accordingly.

2. My responsibility is to guard myself against viewing things that could be a threat to my purity, as well as guarding my mind from dwelling on such things. But my responsibility to guard only exists because there are things to guard against....immodesty is one of those things to guard against.

do you want the guy to imagine what its like to sleep with you, or what its like to fall in love with you?

As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?

guys must exercise SUCH discipline this day in age, because the girls either want to be portrayed as one desiring lustful thoughts or words--or they're simply ignorant that 5 inch long skirts + small tank tops don't turn a guy on.

i didn't go on to the Aftermass Records site and buy the Modest Is Hottest shirt for nothing! =P

PapaHilarious

[quote name='curtins' post='1396177' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:15 PM']Just as a note, for the 2nd poll question I put neutral because I try to respect all people, but, lets put it this way, My first impressions of a girl who dresses immodestly are not good- it speaks alot about her character I think.

1. Modest chicks are hot. Seriously though, the majority of girls dress immodestly. If you want to be noticed, do the opposite. Plus, the guys you are going to attract by showing more skin are the type of guys that are attracted to you for that reason, and will treat you accordingly.

2. My responsibility is to guard myself against viewing things that could be a threat to my purity, as well as guarding my mind from dwelling on such things. But my responsibility to guard only exists because there are things to guard against....immodesty is one of those things to guard against.[/quote]

I have to agree about the 2nd poll question. I voted neutral, too, because of the wording.

As for the other questions, I think our roles are complimentary. We should help the other sex by not dressing provocatively, while always remembering to guard our own hearts and minds from lust through avoiding the near occasions of sin and keeping close to the Sacraments.

If anyone's interested, I devote the closing section of [url="http://www.lulu.com/content/861316"]my book[/url] to issues of lust and the Christian response. Give it a read.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='PapaHilarious' post='1396223' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:28 PM']If anyone's interested, I devote the closing section of [url="http://www.lulu.com/content/861316"]my book[/url] to issues of lust and the Christian response. Give it a read.[/quote]
Shameless plug. :P

I think modestly is the stuff and voted like I think that.

Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. :idontknow:

Pants are cool. :cool:

I voted strongly agree for all three.

I know that I have to respect any lady as a human being, whether she is dressed immodestly or not, and I do. The reason why I voted "strongly agree" for no. 2 is that the respect I give for a lady who dresses excessively immodestly is a sort of "forced and belated respect". I mean that it does not come from me spontaneously. When I look at her, I have to think consciously, "She is a Daughter of God. I must respect her." and force the respect to come.

This is probably a fault in my character. A saint would be able to respect any lady, no matter how she is dressed.

Also, I think modesty works both ways. We boys need to dress modestly too.

[But how to define modest clothing for men? This is probably a trick question, but I would define it this way: We should wear formals whenever possible, even if the situation does not explicitly demand it. Shorts, tight shirts and vests that fit like superhero spandex costumes are also a no-no when in the company of ladies.]

As to the other questions, I find that when I see a lady dressed modestly, I feel an air of mystery about her. I feel like I'm in the presence of some superior being, and respect for her and awareness of her dignity comes naturally, without my having to will myself into feeling it.

I accept complete responsibility for my eyes and my thoughts. "She made me think lustful thoughts because she dressed immodestly" is an unmanly excuse, I feel. Even If I encounter an immodestly dressed lady and if it is necessary to interact with her, it is my responsibility to will myself to treat her with respect, as a human being, and not objectify her or dwell on her beauty too much that I am in danger of crossing the line over to lust. If I have no reason to interact with her, I should avert my eyes instantly.

Edited by Innocent

great responses--i don't have to write much. i put strongly agree for all 3.

immodesty masks who she truly is...personality hidden, body revealed. it should be the other way around.

PapaHilarious

[quote name='Raphael' post='1396227' date='Oct 1 2007, 06:33 PM']Shameless plug. :P[/quote]

uh, yeah. my baby needs to eat. buy the book! :))

photosynthesis

[quote name='Paddington' post='1396230' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:37 PM']I think modestly is the stuff and voted like I think that.

Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. :idontknow:

Pants are cool. :cool:[/quote]
:lol: "giant skirts of thunder..."

Now I have this mental image of me walking into a room wearing a long skirt and hearing this huge clap of thunder. Come to think of it, it sounds kind of cool. "That's not the Last Judgment, it's just a woman in one of those 'giant skirts of thunder...'"

Edited by photosynthesis