Socrates Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 [quote name='kateri05' post='1396620' date='Oct 2 2007, 01:50 PM']not OUR hsmom, but A homeschool mom i'm sure our hsmom is always a perfect fashion plate i'm sure you know the kind of sacky, asexual clothes i'm talking about tho[/quote] Out here they call those women "jumper queens." (after the jumpers they wear everywhere) For some reason, I do rather like the sound of "great skirts of thunder." "Great Skirts of Thunder!" "Holy Balls of Redemption!"
Innocent Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Socrates' post='1396941' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:24 AM']For some reason, I do rather like the sound of "great skirts of thunder." "Great Skirts of Thunder!" "Holy Balls of Redemption!"[/quote] Reminds me of [url="http://members.tripod.com/~AdamWest/robin.htm"][color="#FF0000"]Robin's[/color][/url] [url="http://www.usfamily.net/web/wpattinson/otr/batman/batholy.htm"][color="#0000FF"]exclamations[/color][/url] from the Batman TV show. Edited October 3, 2007 by Innocent
beatty07 Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 ditto Innocent on "respect deserved as daughter of God" vs. "respect that is spontaneously felt prior to an act of will." Except about a Saint not being troubled by temptation...maybe I misunderstood. The school uniform thing is scary. I think it's just socialization... it started as just one more lame taboo-busting titillation by Britney's forebears. You know, forbidden=enticing. Eventually, men have seen it portrayed sexually so often that for some, the association is just there, regardless of skirt length and buttons. That's my theory anyway. [quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']Plus two questions: If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be? As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote] Thanks! It is AWESOME that you care about our holiness and your dignity! No wonder Catholic women have the ability to make Catholic men forget... um, you know...like, how to, um, talk good. I don't think men in general should even worry about what the women are wearing and whether it's modest. Unless the woman's your daughter. I just mean it seems like it should be something the girls handle, with any input they wish to ask from us. Like this thread. But I'm talking about going down the street thinking "modest, modest, immodest, really immodest, oh my gosh, Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee..." Maybe it's better if we just worry about the purity of our minds. I know if I start thinking "that skirt is really high" I've already lost.
Totus Tuus Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 [quote name='beatty07' post='1396998' date='Oct 3 2007, 09:17 AM']The school uniform thing is scary. I think it's just socialization... it started as just one more lame taboo-busting titillation by Britney's forebears. You know, forbidden=enticing. Eventually, men have seen it portrayed sexually so often that for some, the association is just there, regardless of skirt length and buttons. That's my theory anyway. Thanks! It is AWESOME that you care about our holiness and your dignity! No wonder Catholic women have the ability to make Catholic men forget... um, you know...like, how to, um, talk good.[/quote] Noooow I see where y'all guys were coming from. That sounds like a very plausible explanation, from a girl's point of view.
beata_virgo_maria Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 [quote name='catholicinsd' post='1396361' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:47 PM']Um does anyone else find Volleyball uniforms inmodest?[/quote] I actually quit volleyball in high school because they got new volleyball uniforms that were [i]extremely[/i] immodest. The uniforms went from t-shirts and normal gym shorts that were just above the knee, to "shorts" that might as well have been underwear and tight stomach showing tank tops. There was just no way I was going to go along with that.
photosynthesis Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 I don't think I've ever seen a volleyball uniform.
Paddington Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 [quote name='photosynthesis' post='1397211' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:47 PM']I don't think I've ever seen a volleyball uniform.[/quote] They are kinda like bicycle shorts, but shorter.
Paddington Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 "giant skirts of thunder." I guess like mumu's or something. Or a picture of some chick from Mexico in your Spanish textbook with a giant turquoise dress.
beatty07 Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 It would be a sin for me to wear a giant turquoise dress, but don't think it isn't tempting.
Paddington Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 [quote name='beatty07' post='1398081' date='Oct 5 2007, 08:19 PM']It would be a sin for me to wear a giant turquoise dress, but don't think it isn't tempting.[/quote] Funny! I guess that I don't like clothing that looks uncomfortable or non-practical. It seems that a happy medium is the most practical and comfortable. However, this is not my opinion from experience. Also, some of the patterns on giant skirts are too much for me. They are basically distracting if they are not ugly.
Norseman82 Posted October 6, 2007 Posted October 6, 2007 [quote name='ilovechrist' post='1396199' date='Oct 1 2007, 07:46 PM']Modest Is Hottest[/quote] Maybe it is the conservative corporate guy in me, but I'm most turned on by the modest conservative business-type outfits.
Norseman82 Posted October 6, 2007 Posted October 6, 2007 [quote name='catholicinsd' post='1396361' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:47 PM']Um does anyone else find Volleyball uniforms inmodest?[/quote] That's probably nothing compared to the speedos that swim team members wear....
CatholicWing Posted October 6, 2007 Posted October 6, 2007 [quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 04:41 PM']Plus two questions: If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be? As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote] I am tottaly agree with you. Same point of view are min.
ardent1 Posted October 6, 2007 Posted October 6, 2007 [quote name='beatty07' post='1396998' date='Oct 3 2007, 09:17 AM']But I'm talking about going down the street thinking "modest, modest, immodest, really immodest, oh my gosh, Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee..."[/quote] :stare: It's sad that the world is that way now. [quote name='Norseman82' post='1398171' date='Oct 5 2007, 09:19 PM']That's probably nothing compared to the speedos that swim team members wear....[/quote] Ugh - I KNOW! Talk about not leaving anything for the imagination... Maybe [i]that's [/i]why I don't like hanging out at the pool so much! Ohhh spiritual gift of piety, how I love thine unconscious nature.
XIX Posted October 7, 2007 Posted October 7, 2007 [quote name='beatty07' post='1396998' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:17 AM']I know if I start thinking "that skirt is really high" I've already lost.[/quote] what???? I'm all about purity of mind and everything, but aren't your standards quite literally impossible? You can't even start thinking that someone is dressed inappropriately? That sounds far too zombie-esque to me.
Innocent Posted October 7, 2007 Posted October 7, 2007 [quote name='XIX' post='1398589' date='Oct 7 2007, 06:53 AM']what???? I'm all about purity of mind and everything, but aren't your standards quite literally impossible? You can't even start thinking that someone is dressed inappropriately? That sounds far too zombie-esque to me.[/quote] Umm... the way I see it, Christianity [i]is[/i] about impossibly high standards - impossible to attain without Christ, that is. A priest told me once that the whole point of the Sermon on the Mount to "raise the bar" of sanctity. At least, I think that there are standards that are more difficult to reach than what Beatty has set here. For example, the standard of not telling untruths, ever. I find that very difficult to maintain, even more difficult than purity of mind - and I have serious problems with the sin of impurity.
beatty07 Posted October 7, 2007 Posted October 7, 2007 [quote name='XIX' post='1398589' date='Oct 6 2007, 08:23 PM']what???? I'm all about purity of mind and everything, but aren't your standards quite literally impossible? You can't even start thinking that someone is dressed inappropriately? That sounds far too zombie-esque to me.[/quote] How do you know I'm not, in fact, a zombie? I see your point about it being difficult, but aren't we Christians kind of sold on the idea that you're not supposed to waste your thoughts on other people's faults? Obviously there are exceptions, like if you're considering marrying the person or if you're their parent for instance. But if no charitable correction is going to come out of it, toss that thought. That's all I'm trying to say. In the case of judging others' modesty, there's more at stake because it's an occasion of sin. I'm not saying it's a sin, just an occasion. No good will come of it...so...why?
beatty07 Posted October 7, 2007 Posted October 7, 2007 [quote name='XIX' post='1398589' date='Oct 6 2007, 08:23 PM']what???? I'm all about purity of mind and everything, but aren't your standards quite literally impossible? You can't even start thinking that someone is dressed inappropriately? That sounds far too zombie-esque to me.[/quote] How do you know I'm not, in fact, a zombie? I see your point about it being difficult, but aren't we Christians kind of sold on the idea that you're not supposed to waste your thoughts on other people's faults? Obviously there are exceptions, like if you're considering marrying the person or if you're their parent for instance. But if no charitable correction is going to come out of it, toss that thought. That's all I'm trying to say. In the case of judging others' modesty, there's more at stake because it's an occasion of sin. I'm not saying it's a sin, just an occasion. No good will come of it...so...why?
XIX Posted October 12, 2007 Posted October 12, 2007 [quote name='beatty07' post='1398771' date='Oct 7 2007, 11:25 AM']How do you know I'm not, in fact, a zombie? I see your point about it being difficult, but aren't we Christians kind of sold on the idea that you're not supposed to waste your thoughts on other people's faults? Obviously there are exceptions, like if you're considering marrying the person or if you're their parent for instance. But if no charitable correction is going to come out of it, toss that thought. That's all I'm trying to say. In the case of judging others' modesty, there's more at stake because it's an occasion of sin. I'm not saying it's a sin, just an occasion. No good will come of it...so...why?[/quote] I think you are giving way too much credit to mere thoughts. They are completely out of our control, they usually mean nothing (except maybe to a psychologist) and that's that. We really don't choose most of our thoughts. They just come to us. And to expect a thought to never come to us is basically the equivalent of asking someone to never be tempted. I'm sorry, but if I see someone in a miniskirt, it will cross my mind that she is not dressing immodestly. Whether I like it or not. I will discard any judgmental thoughts as quickly as I can, but I will at least subconsciously acknowledge the objective fact that a miniskirt is not appropriate clothing. There is nothing even remotely judgmental or tempting about pointing out a mere fact. And if it does happen to bring temptation on me, well, it happens. I do my best to avoid temptation, but I am realistic. Even Jesus was tempted. I don't understand what you are expecting me to do, but it sounds like something Jesus never asked of us.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now