An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Guys Only - Modesty Survey

Lil Red

Modesty Survey  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?[/quote]

Please please please dress modestly. It hurts to see the girls I know personally who I know want to be better keep falling into the cultural norms. It hurts so much because sometimes I just want to show I can be better than the guys who lust, objectify, and use, but it's so painful and difficult to respect and uphold a friend who does not respect themself enough to just dress with dignity.

So please at least think of guys like me when you are deciding how much clothing you are putting on.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]

Show that it helps guys when girls respect themselves. Show that I can respect women for who they are and not how much they show.

[quote name='Paddington' post='1396230' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:37 PM']Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. :idontknow:[/quote]

Yeah, what is that supposed to mean? Skirts in general, or a certain type of skirts??

[quote name='Innocent' post='1396238' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:49 PM']I voted strongly agree for all three.

I know that I have to respect any lady as a human being, whether she is dressed immodestly or not, and I do. The reason why I voted "strongly agree" for no. 2 is that the respect I give for a lady who dresses excessively immodestly is a sort of "forced and belated respect". I mean that it does not come from me spontaneously. When I look at her, I have to think consciously, "She is a Daughter of God. I must respect her." and force the respect to come.

This is probably a fault in my character. A saint would be able to respect any lady, no matter how she is dressed.

Also, I think modesty works both ways. We boys need to dress modestly too.

[But how to define modest clothing for men? This is probably a trick question, but I would define it this way: We should wear formals whenever possible, even if the situation does not explicitly demand it. Shorts, tight shirts and vests that fit like superhero spandex costumes are also a no-no when in the company of ladies.]

As to the other questions, I find that when I see a lady dressed modestly, I feel an air of mystery about her. I feel like I'm in the presence of some superior being, and respect for her and awareness of her dignity comes naturally, without my having to will myself into feeling it.

I accept complete responsibility for my eyes and my thoughts. "She made me think lustful thoughts because she dressed immodestly" is an unmanly excuse, I feel. Even If I encounter an immodestly dressed lady and if it is necessary to interact with her, it is my responsibility to will myself to treat her with respect, as a human being, and not objectify her or dwell on her beauty too much that I am in danger of crossing the line over to lust. If I have no reason to interact with her, I should avert my eyes instantly.[/quote]
Very eloquent, Innocent. You put it better than I could have. I especially agree about the mystery of modest women and the "higher presence" thing. That's what I really like about my ladyfriend. She is very modest and she really made me notice when we first met.

An other note... I am also saddened when the lady-types do not dress modestly. It pains to see that they degrade themselves... for what? Who knows. Maybe acceptance? Ultimately love? They need to have a bit of time with Jesus... then their attitude should hopefully change.

[size=1]When considering modesty, potato sacks, muumuu's, tarps, and other various clothing styles are not very attractive either...
[/size]

photosynthesis

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1396350' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:28 AM'][size=1]When considering modesty, potato sacks, muumuu's, tarps, and other various clothing styles are not very attractive either...
[/size][/quote]
The reason why it's hard to find nice looking modest clothes is that most fashion designers are perverted men.

A lot of feminist authors write about liberating women from "the male gaze." They don't realize that women can accomplish that simply by wearing more clothing.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1396361' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:47 AM']Um does anyone else find Volleyball uniforms inmodest?[/quote]
um, yeah.

(Those are the exact words I whispered to myself when I saw that quote. tah...I'm in a snappy-ish mood today :))

Farsight one

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1396126' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM']Plus two questions:

If you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?[/quote]
Never ever wear a Catholic school girl uniform if you can avoid it. I don't know why that kind of outfit is the uniform. It seems to be one of the most enticing outfits for quite a lot of men.

[quote]As a guy, what is your responsibility in this area? What is your role in guarding your eyes and mind?[/quote]I wouldn't say I have a role. I don't find it difficult to keep myself from being exposed to immodesty, except when it comes to television. When Nip Tuck commercials started showing up at 11 a.m. on Sundays, I decided that the apartment I am soon to move into will just go without cable. I don't really notice immodest women in public, unless attention is being drawn to them for unrelated reasons. It's television that's the huge problem for me, since my attention is already concentrated on it when an immodestly dressed woman unexpectedly appears on the screen.

p.s. - about the immodest volley ball uniforms - I agree, but I've also spoken to my fair share of volley ball players about it. The general consensus is that the shorts they wear are extremely helpful to their ability to play and that wearing other shorts over them is restricting. So, when it comes to a volleyball uniform, I tend to just smell of elderberries it up and keep my eyes high.

Edited by Farsight one

allow me to clarify my second answer, where i said i disagreed.

the wording of that question is rather ambiguous, so i would like to say that whether they dress immodestly or not--i have the utmost respect for women. sure, i'm going to pray for them and desperately hope they cover up the next time i run into them so no temptation is present, but scantly clad or fully robed--girls deserve the very best from us men.

as for volleyball... the shorts can be downright awful. it only makes matters worse that our school's team hasn't done very well the last couple of seasons lol

[quote]QUOTE(Paddington @ Oct 1 2007, 08:37 PM) *
Suckily for me, many women who try to be modest are into the giant skirts of thunder which turn me off too. idontknow.gif[/quote]

i think this is referring not to skirts in general, but the "catholic homeschool mom" look (as i call it :P), which really means those sack-y, shapeless tents. its like some women have just given up on trying to be feminine while modest at the same time :ohno:

Mary never wore a sack-dress, she always has a clearly delineated figure (ie. woman have hips and chests), while being modestly clothed.

and yes, volleyball uniforms are immodest and i've seen teams play (and win!) with longer, more modest shorts!

[quote]Never ever wear a Catholic school girl uniform if you can avoid it. I don't know why that kind of outfit is the uniform.[/quote]
that is ridiculous. you are thinking of the perverted version worn by brittany spears. plaid skirts to your knees, sweaters and collared shirts are not inherently sexual. its only if you wear the skirt to barely cover your bum and unbutton the shirt to your belly button that it becomes "dirty." [url="http://www.stmonicaacademy.com/home.htm"]Case in Point. Check out the uniforms at my school![/url]

and thanks guys, lots of these have been great comments :)

photosynthesis

[quote name='kateri05' post='1396578' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:14 PM']i think this is referring not to skirts in general, but the "catholic homeschool mom" look (as i call it :P)[/quote]
I've always wanted to dress like homeschoolmom.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1396446' date='Oct 2 2007, 03:09 AM']Never ever wear a Catholic school girl uniform if you can avoid it. I don't know why that kind of outfit is the uniform. It seems to be one of the most enticing outfits for quite a lot of men.[/quote]
[size=1]I went to a Catholic school for 5 years and wore a uniform. :mellow:
[/size]

"QUOTE(Farsight one @ Oct 2 2007, 03:09 AM) *
Never ever wear a Catholic school girl uniform if you can avoid it. I don't know why that kind of outfit is the uniform. It seems to be one of the most enticing outfits for quite a lot of men."

When I first saw this, I just thought "Yeah, Catholic women pretty much rock..."