An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Boys

Aloysius

heyyoimjohnny

thanks, guys. your words help alot. this has been a very persistent desolation, and it's getting to me. I'm hoping to get a spiritual director sometime soon. the assistant vocations director I talked to suggested the same thing to me, said he'd find one for me if I was interested. I called him the other day and I'm still waiting to hear back. I'm praying things will work out there! we'll see what happens, though. my attitude seems a tad rediculous to me lately, and I can see I really need some guidance. so yeah, thanks again!

ThyWillBeDone

Spirtual Director is a great idea. I am sure he will be able to help out a lot. I don't know what I would do without mine.
God Bless

[quote]One of the brothers came into our religion class today. He talked about this...teaching immergence program. Where you go to live in a homeless shelter for 4 weeks, then go live in a school run by them that focuses on middle school...in a really bad neighborhood. Then you go to some country south of the border (I am not sure what it is) and you work with the Christian Brothers there. I was really interested. Teaching has been a plan C for me. If I didn't get accepted into Kenrick Seminary, Webster University (for film), I'd go into teaching because thats all I really want to do besides the other aforementioned possibities.

I really have a connection to this order. I really enjoy their spirit, I love working with them. I love what they do. I thought for about 15 minutes that God was calling me to be a brother instead of a priest. Then I dismissed it because my sole vocation would be teaching. I don't just want to teach. Teaching would be a nice retirement package, but I want to do other things (i.e. priest things and film things).

What this brother talked about really confused me. I want to do it. I want to teach. I have a tendency that if I do something, I do something fully. For instance, if God was calling me to live a holy life, I want to solely work for him as a priest, because I want to work for him and him alone. In this case, if I were to teach, I would rather want to become a Christian Brother and just do that....for my whole life. But then again, I don't want to teach my whole life....[/quote]

It sounds like you completely just pulled this out of my own life. I've seen some great missionaries and read about Mother Theresea and have wanted to become a brother so I could teach too. But then I feel really close to a vocation to the priesthood.

Guest phatdaddy

The oliverorder88

Dear Sir, If I may offer a little fatherly advice. Something to think about. In my view a religious vocation is a gift from God that can not be merited but only accepted or refused.

A religious vocation is NOT a career or a profession as such. All you spoke of in your chat was about you and your plans. My friend, God's plans rule. It seems to me that the first criteria for pursuing a religious vocation is a strong and insatiable love for Jesus and the Church. This has to be number one. This will get you through the hard times and there will be plenty. Along with this love, you need to have a tremendous amount of love for people out of love for Jesus. Because your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to save souls for Jesus. And to become a saint yourself.

In that respect, what you do to save souls, your apostolate, isn't as important as living out your vocation in the way God has called you. Whether you are a missionary in a 3rd world country, or a university professor, a parish priest, a seminary rector is secondary. Go wherever HE leads do the work He asks at the time. He will give you the talents you need to work in the areas He wants you to work.

Follow your desires because He put them there. Trust in Him. take it one day at a time. Love Him a little more each day and take it as it comes.

Work hard, study harder, pray constantly, be kind to people, smile alot and for cryin out loud talk to your spiritual director.

God continue to bless you.

TheOliverOrder88

[quote name='phatdaddy' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:58 AM']
Work hard, study harder, pray constantly, be kind to people, smile alot and for cryin out loud talk to your spiritual director.

God continue to bless you.
[right][snapback]911156[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I understand what you're trying to say. I know it sounds as if I am making my own decisions, I'm not. I somewhat relying on my emotions, my passions, and everything around me to discern the path God is calling me to(and of course prayer). I am trying to find out exactly where I am supposed to go to college. Thats all.

The brother idea isn't really realistic...well anyhoo I can't say. I'll sit and pray and watch what happens.

Catholic Knight
[color=blue]I'm discerning the priesthood, at the current moment. I felt the call on a Church retreat, and I've prayed about it. I'm an alter server so this, somewhat, helps with my decision on the matter. However, I have been trying to ignore the fact that I am being called, as I do not totally want to devote my life to Christ. I want to be in the computer profession. However, I do want whatever God wants. Maybe I'm just too young at the moment to really understand, or maybe I'm just being ignorant.

In any case, I am looking into getting a spiritual director. Although, I do not know who it would be.

Peace,
CK
[/color]

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='Catholic Knight' date='Mar 15 2006, 05:31 PM'][color=blue]I'm discerning the priesthood, at the current moment. I felt the call on a Church retreat, and I've prayed about it. I'm an alter server so this, somewhat, helps with my decision on the matter. However, I have been trying to ignore the fact that I am being called, as I do not totally want to devote my life to Christ. I want to be in the computer profession. However, I do want whatever God wants. Maybe I'm just too young at the moment to really understand, or maybe I'm just being ignorant.

In any case, I am looking into getting a spiritual director. Although, I do not know who it would be.

Peace,
CK
[/color]

[right][snapback]912864[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hey CK,

Hang in there dude. You are doing all the right things. Don't worry, if God is calling you, He won't give you a minites peace (jk). No really, If He does call you to a priestly vocation, the desire for it will become stronger and stronger. If it does, assume you have a vocation and take that first step. If not, that's OK too, we need good computer guys too. :D:

Pray for a spiritual director and frequent the sacraments, in time you will know.

God bless you my friend.
Mr. Ray

CK,
Also, don't be afraid to give your life to Jesus. With prayer, time, the sacraments, adoration, the idea of this world will loose it's apeal and God will be the only thing left in your life that you desire. Then you will be willing to give up all, everything you own, even yourself to Him as I have done. I will pray for you. Its a tough journey, as is everything in life, but it's not impossible. Hang tight, pray, and He wlil reveal the path for you. God Bless!
-Lori

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='uruviel' date='Mar 22 2006, 04:33 PM']CK,
Also, don't be afraid to give your life to Jesus.  With prayer, time, the sacraments, adoration, the idea of this world will loose it's apeal and God will be the only thing left in your life that you desire.  Then you will be willing to give up all, everything you own, even yourself to Him as I have done.  I will pray for you.  Its a tough journey, as is everything in life, but it's not impossible.  Hang tight, pray, and He wlil reveal the path for you.  God Bless!
-Lori
[right][snapback]918389[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:bigclap:

Excellent advice. Lori. I'm so impressed. Will you be my spiritual director......please.? Spiritual maturiy and wisdom, sometimes has nothing to do with ones age. It is edifying to see our good Jesus working in your soul. Thank you daughter for responding to His call. As you so well know, true happiness can only be found in God. I pray for you that you are able to give your life completely to Jesus as your heart desires. I pray for you every day......duhh. Love you sweetie.
daddy

:sign:

daaaad....I think you'll have to find another spiritual director...somehting tells me I wouldn't quite do the job... but that's just me ;)
I'm praying for you too daddy :D: Love you too!
-Lori

TheOliverOrder88

Lets add more crazy ness to my story.

Someone told me I'd make a good Jesuit. Does anyone know if they have a ministry in film? I don't want to go as far as contact them because I do not want a flood of "so you wanna be a Jesuit" mailings, phonecalls, and emails.

prodigalson

Hmm vocation stories ey? Well...where do I begin. Discernment is a beautiful, wonderful thing but sometimes it can be so frustrating. I was a student at Ave Maria College last year and I loved it there. I was discerning a vocation and dating someone at the same time(BIG MISTAKE). Anyway that became a very stressful situation and I just needed time and space so I decided to take a year off of school and end the relationship. (Very Hard) I was confident in my prayer life and enjoyed mass every opportunity I could, but there was still a stress that I couldn't shake. About once every month I would work myself into a stress meltdown- the littlest things would overwhelm me and I would be a mess for a day or two. I thank God for mother who was always there to listen to me cry and assure me of God's love an mercy. I knew that I could not continue this lifestyle very long. I wanted to be a priest so bad but I also couldn't imagine not having any children- it is a struggle that I still deal with. It was in the fall, and I was given the grace to be able to spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament everyday when it hit me- right between the eyes. My conclusion, my remedy for this problem came that day in prayer when I realized this: Every man and woman, priest, father, mother, daughter, brother is called to live a Holy life in humble service! For so long I was so distracted by EITHER Religous or Married life that I forgot my number one vocation: HOLINESS!! As I continue to discern I am astonished at what this realization has done for me. All my brothers focus on holiness, chastity, humility, and Love and it won't be long until your vocation is made clear to you or at least you find some peace and solace in your discernment. Remember also this: God's Call will not come on the telephone He gives our heart desires and He gives us gifts and at some point WE CHOSE how we can best serve Him. Its a beautiful thing! St. Augustine Says: "LOVE, and do as you will" Be assured of my prayers men and I beg for yours as we continue to walk down this weary path towards righteousness forever bound as Brothers In Christ...

prodigalson,

Your writing is very thought provoking. HOLINESS is indeed our goal in life. God has given us more than one vehicle (but only one) with which to achieve holiness.

Whichever you decide; religious life or marriage, holiness awaits.

God Bless,

Michael

heyyoimjohnny

Prodigalson, thats some encouraging stuff right there. It was something I really needed to hear just now. Cya round the bend, sah, God bless!