An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Boys

Aloysius

dude, that'd be sooo sweet if you became a priest! :cool:

you should talk to FG! become an altar boy! shock your parents! lol

just follow where He wants you to go. parental authority is nullified when it comes to Divine Authority, Jesus told His Disciples they must hate their father and mother (hyperbole, dont actualy hate em) and come follow after Him, so if this is what He wants you to do dont let your 'rents stand in the way.

you should really come back and check out The Resistance again... i have u listed as MIA on the Freedom Fighters List... it'd be cool ta change that :)

Pax Amorque Christi

Guest cue

sorry, aloysius. i thought when you said "i looked at the priestly life' that you actually took a look at priestly life. what exactly did you mean by that?

i prolly just meant i thought about it, prayed about it, went to a seminary to hear the Bishop speak and a couple seminarians speak (not actually WENT TO THE SIMINARY, just went to St. Paul's when they had a Vocation Day)

anyway, i have no idea about my future anymore, it's all so fuzzy.

i think B would make an awesome priest :cool: :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there guys! I think it's great that you're open to discerning a vocation to priestly/religious life. I just entered a Benedictine monastery back in January to begin my vocation as a Benedictine monk. If you have any questions or want to discuss anything about monastic life don't hesitate to email me at cspb2004@yahoo.com. Be sure to check out my online Vocation Journal at [url="http://www.myvocation.blogdrive.com"]http://www.myvocation.blogdrive.com[/url] where I chronicle my vocation journey. It gives an insight into becoming a Benedictine monk. Peace to all of you! Ryan

Confessionator741

cspb, that is awesome that you enetered.... I hope to talk to you more about whats its like!

I heard that a good many Dominicans were ordained the other day (11?) in New England. I don't know what diocese, but oh well. I think it's awesome. :)

• 1 month later...
conservativecatholic

I have thought about becoming a priest, but I would also like to participate in government. Wouldn't that be awesome to be a chaplain in the US congress or chaplain for the first Republican Catholic President!? Did you know that the U.S. House of Rep's. chaplain is the first Roman Catholic chaplain in the history of Congress?! If only us Catholics could rule both houses. There are 68 million of us here in America- we should be able to do something.

drewmeister2

Please visit my Catholic Vocation site at www.andrewsvocation.blogdrive.com Thank you so much and God bless!

MichaelFilo

I am pretty solid about the calling thing. I was a pretty sinful, well as sinful as you can get with super-strict parents, and then I changed. I don't know what did it, but I changed. My mother is like Super-Faithful woman 2000!, so I beilived, but didn't love. I knew the Truth, I never was far, I just wasn't close, ya know? Well ya know being from Baghdad is a whole mess in itself, and being Catholic really is different. Anyways, with a pretty solid foundation of faith at home from my mom ( She prayed for me daily, yay! ), I realized I needed a change. I didn't know though, that my say in the change wasn't that much, Jesus took my up, and showed me the way. Anyways, then came the priesthood thing, it also "just happened". People begin to comment, asking if I'll join the preisthood. It's all been going really good, and I'm really thankful for the blessings. Anyways, I like to dream of all the things I could do as a preist, or a religious brother, or a priest amongst religious brothers, or martyr, or Doctor of the Church. The specific calling isn't clear, and I'm sure it's true for all, so the ideas for me ( as I'm sure I can say everyone else who is also pondering the preisthood ) happen to be of my childish imagination ( I got the call half a year ago, near my 15th birthday ). Just like when people imagine being a doctor, they are world famous, a sports star, not just a regular joe sports player.

As for AL, that brick wall that you are comming into, I imagine is your brick wall, not His brick wall. If it is on your mind that much, what would keep it there to plague you? Certainly, the devil wouldn't want to cloud your judgement with a vision of such a beautiful thing. Also, you can kinda tell with your relationship with women. Ya know, I had a girlfriend for 2 years and we loved each other and such, but it wasn't meant for me. No real girlfriends after that, just petty stuff. We broke up a little before my sight was put back on the Lord. Anyways, consider what I said, Al, maybe one day we'll meet in a seminary. I'm going to Ave Maria once I'm out of HS, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
geetarplayer

The idea of becoming a priest has been in my mind for about a year, but I've only been really receptive to it for about a half a year. You see, the call came while I was in a relationship, so of course it made me angry that God would want me to be celibate even though I was doing so well with my girlfriend. Soon I warmed up to the idea (which upset my girlfriend, of course). The relationship, my first and only as of yet, became more about us than about God, though, and I broke up with her about three weeks ago. Then I was praying in adoration at a retreat, and a space was cleared before me, so I prostrated myself before the Blessed Sacrament. Later that night, someone asked me what order I was going to join, and all I did was smile and say, "Aww yeah!"

Presently, however, I have some questions about my own discernment. The idea of being a priest in a religious order is swimming in my mind. Also, I have a gift with music. I wonder if, after I become a priest, I will have any opportunities to minister as a musician.

-Mark

Geetar Player,

One of the priests ordained for our Archdiocese this year is quite skilled as a musician. He wrote the music that was performed at his first mass.

May God grant you wisdom as you discern.

peace...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
KnightoftheRosary

Pray for me also that My soul may be strengthened. I feel lost and just trying to find God again. I know he's there, he just seems so far away.
-Knight-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gday,

I'm 19 and i went to this Eucharist youth congress in Melbourne, Australia, at the start of the year called 'adore04'. Since then i've had a call to the religious life, and now, in recent days only, i've been feeling a call to the priesthood. There's a pinnacle moment when i could leave to join this religious order i am interested in, i'll either catch the plane or totally miss it. I don't have much support from my family, but my mum and sister agrees i need to discern. In the past 4 days i have had 3 seperate people tell me i look, act and should be a priest without me bringing it up at all! This one time i was at my RE class at the local state high school and after talking the lady i was with came up to me with a big smile on my face and told me she got this amazing feeling about me when i was talking. she asked me if i had been thinking about becoming a priest (only the day before) and she then said that something had changed about me since the last time she saw me (which was before the holidays). This lady btw is like our local saint.

What gave me the desire to discern was Jesus in the Eucharist. the adore04 congress was centred around Him in the Blessed Sacrament. Right at the end of the congress the priest asked all those who feel they are called to the religious life to come up to have the Blessed Sacrament exposed over them. I told one of the brothers earlier i didn't want to go up, but almost like a robot my legs just got up and i was one of the first people to go. Ever since then the desire has never left me. Now it is building up into something stronger and clearer.

The thing that helped me the most in discerning my vocation was fulfilling my initial vocation which is the vocation of holiness within my state of life. Whenever i fail in that area my next vocation becomes murky and unclear, so i have to try and keep holy so God can work in me and around me, namely through humility. Satan said, 'i will not serve', therefore i've had to humble must alot to God so He can work through me because of i don't then, as my pride would take over, i would be useless to Him and my vocation may be lost.

JMJ.