An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment For Boys

Aloysius

Rebirth flame

(bump, sweet thread) :D

alright guys, the girls are all gone and have their own thread. Does anybody else have a discernment story they'd like to share???

Guest lundercovera

well, i posted in the open mic too a while back. i'm homosexual... i'm almost positive it's a biological type thing i can't change and even if i did it would cause suppressed stuff, mental problems. i donno, i'd havta exchange one lust for another, i donno. anyway, that kinda rules me out for marriage, it wouldn't be fair to any girl to marry them. also, i couldn't be a priest or religious. not only has the Church come out against that, but it would be a source of constant temptation for me if i lived with other men.

anyway, that kinda leaves me at single life. i've been praying to be able to accept that. it's tough, it's so hard to see what my future would be as a single man. anyway, that's my discernment story.

Edited by lundercovera

well, i posted in the open mic too a while back. i'm homosexual... i'm almost positive it's a biological type thing i can't change and even if i did it would cause suppressed stuff, mental problems. i donno, i'd havta exchange one lust for another, i donno. anyway, that kinda rules me out for marriage, it wouldn't be fair to any girl to marry them. also, i couldn't be a priest or religious. not only has the Church come out against that, but it would be a source of constant temptation for me if i lived with other men.

anyway, that kinda leaves me at single life. i've been praying to be able to accept that. it's tough, it's so hard to see what my future would be as a single man. anyway, that's my discernment story.

wow. that kinda stinks you don't have a choice... you completely sure it's something biological? you might wanna consult a psychologist or something. but that does make sense i guess, you don't wanna "exchange one lust for another"

not a lot of ppl seem to even think of the single life as a vocation, but it def. is. continue to pray about it, and whatever God wants you to do follow that. He's got a plan for all of us, he's got a plan for you. :):cool:

so, so far we got me who wants to be a priest but i prayed about it and it seems God says no, so i don't know what my vocation is, Rebirth Flame seems to be the same as me, cimlog has no idea hehe, mammo might wanna be a priest :priest: hehe, then there's lundercovera who seems to have no choice but the single life. i wonder if that no choice thing is God speaking to you in a way you can see real well, or just circumstances you might haveta overcome depending on what He wants you to be...

i wonder if that no choice thing is God speaking to you in a way you can see real well, or just circumstances you might haveta overcome depending on what He wants you to be...

Interesting Al. It boggles my mind.

THESE NEED TO BE PINNED!

Ok, this is a post from an "Old Guy" at 25 but I just wanted to say this:

Discerning the priesthood isn't about making a decision "Is God Calling me yes or no?" Discerning the priesthood is about living your life in holiness and being open to Christ calling you to give up many of the things you love in order to follow him in more closely, in a way of greater sacrifice, in a way of greater imitation.

I think it can get really stressful to focus on "What does God want me to do with the rest of my life?" And sometimes that "rest of my life" can make us ignore forget that right now is what is most important.

A very wise priest told me once that God calls through your ordinary vocation. He doesn't call you AWAY from your life, but TOWARD it. This is amazing to me. It is the idea that if you are being called to be a priest you will know this more and more and more when you are living a holy life in the world. You will begin to be more attracted to the priesthood and resisting the idea of becoming a priest will be more of a fight. You can ignore your vocation, you can not follow Christ when he calls, but it will be because you are not living the Christian life well. It will be because sin is causing you to forget or resent your vocation.

The amazing thing is that a priest is just like any other Christian. He is living a vocation he desires. If you desire or are attracted to the priesthood, then you owe it to yourself and to God to give it a real shot. Not just to "think" about it, but to "try" it. To "come and see" with Christ if you will follow him like an apostle. The vocation to the priesthood is a vocation to love . . . and you fall in love with your vocation just like a couple falls in love with each other. They don't try to "figure out" if they are called to marry without spending some time together. They don't try to figure it out "before hand."

In a certain sense, you cannot know if you are called to be a priest unless you have tried to follow that vocation and found that you could not, or did not want to. That's what the single life is like, trying to follow Christ and live devoted to him . . . from that faithfulness your vocation to either marriage or the priesthood will be born.

# 1 you're too old, go away :P:lol: JK

# 2, i'm not sure. discovering your vocation is about prayer. if through prayer you are called to be a priest, you go test it out. you don't go around testing everything out first to see if you like it and assume if you like it God wants you to be it... it's always a calling from God, through prayer or through some deep down desire He gives you, it's God's initiative. especially evident in prayers about vocations: we pray asking, "what shall i do to serve you best, Lord?" and God answers "go here or there or do this or that" by instilling within you deep desires for that vocation and giving you a conviction to seek it out. only after that happens through prayer do you discern by testing it out.

steps are first: discerning through prayer and second: discerning by trying out what you have seen yourself called to after much prayer.

A very wise priest told me once that God calls through your ordinary vocation. He doesn't call you AWAY from your life, but TOWARD it.

That is powerful stuff. I never though about it like that.

In a certain sense, you cannot know if you are called to be a priest unless you have tried to follow that vocation and found that you could not, or did not want to.

So are you recomending all guys try the priesthood. Kinda the guess and check method. Trial and error? Try all vocations and see which is best?