An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got A Call From The Nra

catholicinsd

So I got a phone call from the NRA asking about the Supreme Court Case regarding a gun ban in DC. Then I told the woman what I thought, she started to jiggle at me. I asked her why, she said she wasn't laughing at me but the idea. She also told me it was a yes/no question and I should just answer it. My response was "I think guns should be banned from crazy people like you."

Your thoughts?

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453060' date='Jan 30 2008, 06:59 PM']So I got a phone call from the NRA asking about the Supreme Court Case regarding a gun ban in DC. Then I told the woman what I thought, she started to jiggle at me. I asked her why, she said she wasn't laughing at me but the idea. She also told me it was a yes/no question and I should just answer it. My response was "I think guns should be banned from crazy people like you."

Your thoughts?[/quote]

What did you say to the woman that caused her to start jiggling? What idea was she laughing at?

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453073' date='Jan 30 2008, 08:32 PM']What did you say to the woman that caused her to start jiggling? What idea was she laughing at?[/quote]
I wish more women would jiggle at me. ;)
(though not on the phone where I can't see the jiggling)

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453073' date='Jan 30 2008, 07:32 PM']What did you say to the woman that caused her to start jiggling? What idea was she laughing at?[/quote]

That if you remove all the guns, crimes involving guns go down.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, [b]the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed[/b]."

The facts: since D.C.'s strict handgun ban in 1976, murder rates have gone up, not down. Gun control does nothing to reduce murder and other violent crime. And that's nothing to jiggle at.
[url="http://www.aei.org/docLib/20050628_LottGunControlTable1.pdf"]D.C. murder rate chart by year[/url].

[quote name='Socrates' post='1453134' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:57 PM']The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, [b]the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed[/b]."[/quote]

Does that ever say people, cilvilians, have the right to own guns?

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453113' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:22 PM']That if you remove all the guns, crimes involving guns go down.[/quote]

Have you ever seen Star Trek V? There was a quote from the character played by David Warner:

"We forbade them weapons; they made their own".

People will find other weapons to use. Prime example: do a Google search on Roy Trumblay. In 1999, he was murdered in Chicago (which has a handgun ban as well) by being bludgeoned with a table leg across the street from a police station.

Second, just how do you propose to "remove all the guns"?

MissScripture

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453137' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:06 PM']Does that ever say people, cilvilians, have the right to own guns?[/quote]
:blink: I'm pretty sure that it says people, when it says people...? :huh:

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453137' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:06 PM']Does that ever say people, cilvilians, have the right to own guns?[/quote]
That's right, it says "the people" have the right to "keep and bear arms." In the U.S. Constitution, "the people" [i]always[/i] refers to the citizens of the United States. "Arms" means weapons, including guns. Couldn't be more clear.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453137' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:06 PM']Does that ever say people, cilvilians, have the right to own guns?[/quote]

What in your view does "the people" mean then?

Also, have you ever fired a weapon (like at a range)?