An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got A Call From The Nra

catholicinsd

People that make their own amo aren't necessarily aiming at people. That is a stupid, ignorant comment. My dad makes his own amo. I've even shot it. You know what? I own guns. I use guns for sport, both in hunting and something that is called trap shooting and is a great pass time. You'd never see me pointing my gun at another person, though, and I really dont think that you have the right to take away my right to enjoy myself on saturday afternoons during the summer.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1453211' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:18 PM']I don't know how I feel about guns. Except that I'd rather go hunting with Johnsonville brat Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

You and my mother would get along fabulously.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1453211' date='Jan 31 2008, 12:18 AM']One of my favorite terms used in britain is someone's "jiggly bits." I'm talking about body fat, you perverts.

It would be funny to have a fat little dog or cat named "Little Miss Jiggly Bits"

I don't know how I feel about guns. Except that I'd rather go hunting with Johnsonville brat Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy.[/quote]

Dang... epic burn!

[quote name='Socrates' post='1453134' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:57 PM']The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, [b]the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed[/b]."

The facts: since D.C.'s strict handgun ban in 1976, murder rates have gone up, not down. Gun control does nothing to reduce murder and other violent crime. And that's nothing to jiggle at.
[url="http://www.aei.org/docLib/20050628_LottGunControlTable1.pdf"]D.C. murder rate chart by year[/url].[/quote]

I happen to agree with you. But just to play devil's advocate...

People who support stricter regulations on guns/ gun bans generally interpret the second amendment to mean that the people as a WHOLE have hte right to keep and bear arms, not people as individuals. This means that a militia should be maintained, and they take that to mean the national guard. Basically, following this interpretation, the national guard DOES fulfill the rights guaranteed.

quick edit to say that courts have mostly followed the interpretation I have provided here. If you want me to find specific cases, I'll give 'em to you tomorrow.

Edited by aalpha1989

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1453205' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:14 PM']Taking away guns is only going to disarm innocent people from others who have no qualms against breaking the law and carrying them anyway. What you dont seem to understand is that the person kills, not the gun.

Think of all the school shootings lately,the people that commited them didnt care about the law, if guns were illegal to buy, they would have gotten them on the black market or made something more deadly. However, if the security personal on campus had been allowed guns rather than tasers, innocent lives would have been saved. There was a school shooting here a few years ago where the security guard was shot before he had a chance to use a taser, and several others were killed.[/quote]

excellent argument.

P.S. In my We the People competition one of the questions on which a paper was written was about the second amendment. Just about the best argument for the people as individuals interpretation was this exact theory.

[quote name='Deb' post='1453148' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:15 PM']I think that all people should be able to bear arms, they should only be allowed to bear the same arms that were in existence when that was written. If the framers knew what the future held, they would have made it more clear they were discussing a militia. Not joe next door. How it got from owning a gun to be entitled to military grade weapons I will never know. Nothing like the culture of death.[/quote]
Haha, the guns then varied greatly, some were bigger than 50 cal, in fact, i've seen one that was 75 cal. I would take that over my .22 anty day. I'd be down with that. anyone breaks into my place and there'll be nothin left.

lol

Ash Wednesday

My dad bought a handgun not too long ago and was showing it to me and he's just talking and casually waving it around and stuff and I was like " :censored: Dad!!! Put that away, at least point it in another direction!!!" I kept moving out of his way when he was talking about it. He's kind of a :cowboy: about some things. :hehe:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Rosemary's Goddaughter

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1453211' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:18 PM']I don't know how I feel about guns. Except that I'd rather go hunting with Johnsonville brat Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy.[/quote]

I don't really know about Ted Kennedy's driving record...but I don't think I want to be anywhere within firing range of Johnsonville brat Cheney. Unless you were joking and I didn't pick up.

Rosemary's Goddaughter

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1453262' date='Jan 31 2008, 01:50 AM']My dad bought a handgun not too long ago and was showing it to me and he's just talking and casually waving it around and stuff and I was like " :censored: Dad!!! Put that away, at least point it in another direction!!!" I kept moving out of his way when he was talking about it. He's kind of a :cowboy: about some things. :hehe:[/quote]

Yikes. The first thing I ever learned about guns was that you never point them at stuff you don't want a massive hole through. At least you didn't pick up on his bad habits...

leave it to archie bunker to put things in perspective..

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
Archie: "Would it make you feel any better little girl if they was pushed outta windows?"

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Rosemary's Goddaughter' post='1453263' date='Jan 31 2008, 03:13 AM']I don't really know about Ted Kennedy's driving record...but I don't think I want to be anywhere within firing range of Johnsonville brat Cheney. Unless you were joking and I didn't pick up.[/quote]

One word. Chappaquiddick.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453208' date='Jan 31 2008, 02:16 PM']The people who make their own amo are putting themselves at risk as well as those they aim at.[/quote]
So the people who buy their ammo aren't risking the lives of the people they aim at?

Kid, you don't know the first thing about guns, gun ownership, or living in a rural area for that matter (and it's completely hilarious). Now, where I'm from the cops only take about an hour and forty-five minutes to get to my house when called. My family found that out the hard way after someone tried to break into our house one night. We got a gun after that. So yes, our handgun was for killing people--that is, the people who were trying to kill us.

As for handguns vs. shotguns, let me say that the Navy uses 12-gauge shotguns for security onboard ship. They work really well in the narrow passageways of a surface vessel if the enemy is trying to take it over as Iran found out the hard way in the 80s. :D Furthermore, anyone who thinks you can't rob a bank with a shotgun is an idiot. That being said my personal preference for self-defense off the battle field are handguns. Their smaller, easier to conceal, and lighter weight than a bulky shotgun that seems something like overkill in the situation. Three well placed bullets (as I was taught to give in my civilian self-defense course) are enough to kill just as much as a shotgun.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1453266' date='Jan 31 2008, 05:23 PM']One word. Chappaquiddick.[/quote]
Since Teddy's endorsement of Obama think there's any chance he'd take Hillary for a drive up there?

[quote name='Justin86' post='1453312' date='Jan 31 2008, 08:33 AM']So the people who buy their ammo aren't risking the lives of the people they aim at?[/quote]

No, homemade amno has a much greater chance of back-fire.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1453312' date='Jan 31 2008, 08:33 AM']Kid, you don't know the first thing about guns, gun ownership, or living in a rural area for that matter[/quote]

I live in South Dakota, and our whole state is rural.