An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got A Call From The Nra

catholicinsd

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453137' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:06 PM']Does that ever say people, cilvilians, have the right to own guns?[/quote]
lol

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453145' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:11 PM']Also, have you ever fired a weapon (like at a range)?[/quote]

Indeed I have. I have completed a hunter's safety course. My step-dad is a (lack-ulster) member of the NRA.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1453142' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:10 PM']That's right, it says "the people" have the right to "keep and bear arms." In the U.S. Constitution, "the people" [i]always[/i] refers to the citizens of the United States. "Arms" means weapons, including guns. Couldn't be more clear.[/quote]

I think that all people should be able to bear arms, they should only be allowed to bear the same arms that were in existence when that was written. If the framers knew what the future held, they would have made it more clear they were discussing a militia. Not joe next door. How it got from owning a gun to be entitled to military grade weapons I will never know. Nothing like the culture of death.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1453141' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:10 PM']:blink: I'm pretty sure that it says people, when it says people...? :huh:[/quote]

To paraphrase the Barbara Streisand song:

"People.....people who have weapons....."

[quote name='Deb' post='1453148' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:15 PM']I think that all people should be able to bear arms, they should only be allowed to bear the same arms that were in existence when that was written. If the framers knew what the future held, they would have made it more clear they were discussing a militia. Not joe next door. How it got from owning a gun to be entitled to military grade weapons I will never know. Nothing like the culture of death.[/quote]

Yes, the 2nd Amendment really deals with national defense more then the right to own guns.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Deb' post='1453148' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:15 PM']I think that all people should be able to bear arms, they should only be allowed to bear the same arms that were in existence when that was written. If the framers knew what the future held, they would have made it more clear they were discussing a militia. Not joe next door. How it got from owning a gun to be entitled to military grade weapons I will never know. Nothing like the culture of death.[/quote]

Updated and current military grade weaponry is exactly what the forefathers intended, for every joe, GI, or civilian.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453147' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:15 PM']Indeed I have. I have completed a hunter's safety course. My step-dad is a (lack-ulster) member of the NRA.[/quote]

So, with that in mind, do you believe that you yourself should also be banned from owning guns (assuming you are of legal age)?

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453156' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:19 PM']So, with that in mind, do you believe that you yourself should also be banned from owning guns (assuming you are of legal age)?[/quote]

I personally haven't found time to hunt since I entered the workforce. However, those guns I used while hunting could only harm small game, not a person that severally.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1453169' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:27 PM']Any gun can used to kill, if that is the intention of the shooter.[/quote]

It is a lot harder to hide your shotgun or 30/30 than a pistol. Let's let everyone have a million rifles each and dump all the handguns. Handguns have only one purpose. To kill people. or fish.

[quote name='Deb' post='1453171' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:31 PM']It is a lot harder to hide your shotgun or 30/30 than a pistol. Let's let everyone have a million rifles each and dump all the handguns. Handguns have only one purpose. To kill people. or fish.[/quote]

And in DC there are many fish to kill.

[quote name='Deb' post='1453148' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:15 PM']I think that all people should be able to bear arms, they should only be allowed to bear the same arms that were in existence when that was written. If the framers knew what the future held, they would have made it more clear they were discussing a militia. Not joe next door. How it got from owning a gun to be entitled to military grade weapons I will never know. Nothing like the culture of death.[/quote]

One must also factor in that there is a school of though that the second amendment is also meant to protect civilians from government tyranny.

Additionally, the first step that many genocidal despots did once assuming power was gun control, so as someone once asked people who wanted to establish gun control, "WHo do [i]you[/i] want to round up and exterminate?".

(Source: [url="http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rkba-12.html)"]http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rkba-12.html[/url])

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453164' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:23 PM']I personally haven't found time to hunt since I entered the workforce. However, those guns I used while hunting could only harm small game, not a person that severally.[/quote]

Don't kid yourself: ANY gun can harm someone if handled improperly. Just ask any of Johnsonville brat Cheney's hunting partners. That's why any gun training will cover safety. I presume that you learned that in your hunter course, correct?

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453178' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:36 PM']Don't kid yourself: ANY gun can harm someone if handled improperly. Just ask any of Johnsonville brat Cheney's hunting partners. That's why any gun training will cover safety. I presume that you learned that in your hunter course, correct?[/quote]

Well one couln't rob a bank with a 22.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453184' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:39 PM']Well one couln't rob a bank with a 22.[/quote]

Why not? And are you referring to a .22 handgun or rifle?

Edited by Norseman82