An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got A Call From The Nra

catholicinsd

I think that if you point any gun in someone's face, they will give you the money. They probably aren't assessing what size hole you are going to put between their eyes.
I prefer someone hold a gun to the side of my head, even though scary, not as scary as in the face.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Deb' post='1453171' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:31 PM']It is a lot harder to hide your shotgun or 30/30 than a pistol. Let's let everyone have a million rifles each and dump all the handguns. Handguns have only one purpose. To kill people. or fish.[/quote]

Your talking about handgun owners as if they are all criminal killers of innocents, which is NOT the case. And the true criminals would not trade in anything. Also, shot guns can be very ineffective in home invasions, because of the limited space, and reload time.

Well still, the way the NRA veiws the 2nd Amendment is different then what the Founding Fathers intended it to mean.

And this extremely unprofessional Elizabeth woman found my oberservations humerous.

frenchroyalist3

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453113' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:22 PM']That if you remove all the guns, crimes involving guns go down.[/quote]

I absolutely disagree. The murderers will always get their hands on guns. I firmly believe in Mutually Assured Destruction. You don't know if I have a gun and you don't know if others do, so it acts as a deterrent. If it doesn't, they're crazy enough to get a gun by any means possible and shoot someone anyway. Why not have someone to stop a rampage? Cops aren't everywhere.
Not only do we need guns to protect ourselves from an intrusive/tyrannical government (like the colonialists did during the American Revolution), but it's handy to protect our property or to kill an animal if the situation calls for it. I hear a guy break in my house...should I call the cops and hope for the best? What if he gets away with my property?
Think of the children argument: a kid goes nuts and shoots his school up. Teacher or principal is able to carry a gun and stop the nut. Could a kid take a parent's gun? Yes, but that comes down to personal responsibility. I say, enough of the nanny state, government just doesn't work and constantly fights against us in the disguise of helping us :ohno:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453184' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:39 PM']Well one couln't rob a bank with a 22.[/quote]

A man on the 22nd in Sarasota, rob a bank with a 22 caliber rifle.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453187' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:42 PM']I'm talking about my shotgun[/quote]

I admit I never fired a shotgun - just pistols and rifles at the range - so I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a 22-gauge shotgun.

By the way, back to my previous question: just how do you propose to "remove all the guns"?

Edited by Norseman82

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1453200' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:53 PM']A man on the 22nd in Sarasota, rob a bank with a 22 caliber rifle.[/quote]
Yeah and some ladies robbed a store with samurai swords a while back. Without guns one could still make explosives out of common household items and rob a bank that way. Another way would be to use a bow and arrow and go Robin Hood style. I think you could pull off a store robbery with a baseball bat or common hammer if you waited for the clerk to open the register and then hit them over the head by surprise. I just don't think no gun = no crime. In a way it might end up that we'd have more brutal crime because without the threatening power of a gun you must resort to brute force more. Just a theory anyway. In any case I don't think banning guns will automatically turn bad people into good people.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453201' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:54 PM']By the way, back to my previous question: just how do you propose to "remove all the guns"?[/quote]

Well I admit given the present situation removing handguns from the streets would be difficult. But if we were stop selling the amo, the problem would probably work itself out.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1453203' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:59 PM']Well I admit given the present situation removing handguns from the streets would be difficult. But if we were stop selling the amo, the problem would probably work itself out.[/quote]

I have heard of people that make their own ammo, so I don't think that would work.

Taking away guns is only going to disarm innocent people from others who have no qualms against breaking the law and carrying them anyway. What you dont seem to understand is that the person kills, not the gun.

Think of all the school shootings lately,the people that commited them didnt care about the law, if guns were illegal to buy, they would have gotten them on the black market or made something more deadly. However, if the security personal on campus had been allowed guns rather than tasers, innocent lives would have been saved. There was a school shooting here a few years ago where the security guard was shot before he had a chance to use a taser, and several others were killed.

KnightofChrist

Taking away ammo would feed the black market like crazy...

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1453204' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:10 PM']I have heard of people that make their own ammo, so I don't think that would work.[/quote]

The people who make their own amo are putting themselves at risk as well as those they aim at.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1453194' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:48 PM']Your talking about handgun owners as if they are all criminal killers of innocents, which is NOT the case. And the true criminals would not trade in anything. Also, shot guns can be very ineffective in home invasions, because of the limited space, and reload time.[/quote]
Yeah, caause those evil terrorists are going to raid an average american home and skillfully take out everyone in the family... shotgun should work fine. Close quarters + shotgun = deadly. Meh, with any weapon, though, you'll have to try and get thee blood stain out of the carpet anyways...

I'm not getting involved in this one, though I'm annoyed at my government for settin up laws such as "registering" 'daddy's hunting rifle'. Jeez.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Ash Wednesday

One of my favorite terms used in britain is someone's "jiggly bits." I'm talking about body fat, you perverts.

It would be funny to have a fat little dog or cat named "Little Miss Jiggly Bits"

I don't know how I feel about guns. Except that I'd rather go hunting with Johnsonville brat Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy.