kujo Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 Hey phamily. I've been on Phatmass for about 2 years, admittedly not nearly as long or as diligently as some of you have been. Still, I think I have a pretty good idea of how things work around here. We play hard and we pray hard, right? But lately, I've noticed this dark cloud over some of our threads and discussions. It seems like a lot of them end in bitter arguments and name calling. I don't know why this is, but it's making myself and a lot of others very uncomfortable. It seems like alot of us (myself included) have lost sight of Christian charity. Anyway, I wanted to point this out for everyone to think about. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure it's worth a try, ya know? I love all of you, even the ones that drive me !!! In Christ's heart, Kujo
Ash Wednesday Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 For what it's worth, election years are always real corkers here on Phatmass. You should have seen 2004!
Lil Red Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 +J.M.J.+ phatmass goes in cycles of being nice and happy vs. being unChristian and sarcastic and mean. it's worse around Lent and in election years. i keep repeating to myself "This too shall pass" thanks for the reminder
dUSt Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 As proof of the change happening, this is the first time the word "corkers" has ever been used on phatmass. Looks like it's down hill from here.
kujo Posted May 17, 2008 Author Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1531267' date='May 17 2008, 12:11 PM']For what it's worth, election years are always real corkers here on Phatmass. You should have seen 2004! [/quote] That could be it...but you would think that holding people accountable for voting Catholic in elections wouldn't take on such a vehement, nasty character. Some people on here proudly proclaim that they are "queen B's" and sarcastic people...it just doesn't make sense. I thought I remember something about people knowing we are Christians by our love for each other?
Ash Wednesday Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 (edited) [quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1531273' date='May 17 2008, 11:14 AM']As proof of the change happening, this is the first time the word "corkers" has ever been used on phatmass. Looks like it's down hill from here.[/quote] Edited May 17, 2008 by Ash Wednesday
kujo Posted May 17, 2008 Author Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='dust (the ultra-handsome' post='1531273' date='May 17 2008, 12:14 PM']As proof of the change happening, this is the first time the word "corkers" has ever been used on phatmass. Looks like it's down hill from here.[/quote] Haha
Pontifex Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 It's why I felt led to pray in front of the Eucharist for the phamily. If we have not love, we clang. Like St. Paul told us. P-FEx
Ash Wednesday Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='kujo' post='1531274' date='May 17 2008, 11:15 AM']That could be it...but you would think that holding people accountable for voting Catholic in elections wouldn't take on such a vehement, nasty character.[/quote] It gets pretty ugly. In 04, John Kerry being the Dem nominee and pro-choice Catholic on top of it really created a lot of emotional charge in the discussions. And of course there's Bush, who is a real lightning rod himself. It hasn't gotten as bad.......yet. This year because there is a political phorum, maybe it will change the dynamics of the boards for the better. Even if at least a little.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='kujo' post='1531274' date='May 17 2008, 10:15 AM']Some people on here proudly proclaim that they are "queen B's" and sarcastic people...it just doesn't make sense.[/quote] And what is soo wrong with being sarcastic?
kujo Posted May 17, 2008 Author Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1531345' date='May 17 2008, 01:01 PM']And what is soo wrong with being sarcastic?[/quote] There's a difference between being a sarcastic and being overly-sarcastic, to the point of just being rude and condescending. Certain people walk the line, others haven't seen it in years.
Apotheoun Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='kujo' post='1531245' date='May 17 2008, 08:53 AM']Hey phamily. I've been on Phatmass for about 2 years, admittedly not nearly as long or as diligently as some of you have been. Still, I think I have a pretty good idea of how things work around here. We play hard and we pray hard, right? But lately, I've noticed this dark cloud over some of our threads and discussions. It seems like a lot of them end in bitter arguments and name calling. I don't know why this is, but it's making myself and a lot of others very uncomfortable. It seems like alot of us (myself included) have lost sight of Christian charity. Anyway, I wanted to point this out for everyone to think about. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure it's worth a try, ya know? I love all of you, even the ones that drive me !!! In Christ's heart, Kujo[/quote] Phatmass seems the same as always to me.
dominicansoul Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 I'm a newbie, so I don't really know what to compare... I am a bit surprised with some of the cussing and condescension. I may have said a few mean things to certain posters, but mostly it's me having to play defense to some serious un-called for rudeness! I know two wrongs don't make a right, so it's best to just ignore. But I have also witnessed the friendships and the humour and the laughs.... I do agree with you, though, that something must have changed, because the rudeness drove away a Nun!
Kitty Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 I've only been a member for a short time but most of the time I've felt like I've joined an Atheist forum, what with all this rudeness, disrespect, putting down and name calling.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='kujo' post='1531356' date='May 17 2008, 11:05 AM']There's a difference between being a sarcastic and being overly-sarcastic, to the point of just being rude and condescending. Certain people walk the line, others haven't seen it in years.[/quote] all true, and on the other side you have those that can't seem to understand what sarcasm is...It makes for some fun threads
Apotheoun Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 (edited) I've been a member of Phatmass for almost 4 years now, and it is about the same as it was when I joined. In fact, before I was a member, there was a section called the "Back Alley" where – I believe – no holds barred fighting was allowed. Edited May 17, 2008 by Apotheoun
MissScripture Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 I think that some of it has to do with personal perceptions. If someone is in a bad mood when they read something, they're more likely to take something that may not have been a jab as offensive, and post a response to that, rather than what the person meant (and I do think some people go looking for something to be offended by). I think it's best, when in doubt, to give the benefit of the doubt to people, and assume that what they're trying to say isn't coming out properly, rather than jump on someone. IOW, reading with charity is necessary.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1531384' date='May 17 2008, 11:24 AM']I think that some of it has to do with personal perceptions. If someone is in a bad mood when they read something, they're more likely to take something that may not have been a jab as offensive, and post a response to that, rather than what the person meant (and I do think some people go looking for something to be offended by). I think it's best, when in doubt, to give the benefit of the doubt to people, and assume that what they're trying to say isn't coming out properly, rather than jump on someone. IOW, reading with charity is necessary.[/quote] you are so awesome......
MissScripture Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1531386' date='May 17 2008, 11:25 AM'] you are so awesome......[/quote] See, people? There's love on this board!
Roamin Catholic Posted May 17, 2008 Posted May 17, 2008 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1531389' date='May 17 2008, 11:26 AM']See, people? There's love on this board![/quote] *looks around* I'm not sure I see it <=that there folks is sarcasm....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now