Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1532344' date='May 18 2008, 02:40 PM']dust (the ultra-handsome) (the ultra-handsome) for president?[/quote]

MIKolbe, Sacred Music Man, BG45, and missionseeker can all vouch for me when I say that I am seriously in favor of doing this. ;)

Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532606' date='May 18 2008, 06:35 PM']It was a reference to your comment about a majority of the people in this thread thinking a certain way.

Please don't take offense, because I was simply stating a truth.[/quote]
I agree with you on the general statement, but I don't understand how it applies.

The majority of people are concerned with a lack of charity.

How is that untrue? I'm still confused. lol.

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='Alycin' post='1532542' date='May 18 2008, 05:02 PM']I think it's pretty plain to see that the majority of people in this thread who noticed the "bad vibe" so to speak on phatmass weren't talking about people being firm in their stances or people not being sugar-coat-y with the stances of the Church.

It's about name-calling, downright rudeness that oft had nothing to do with preaching truth, and the excessive use of sarcasm (literally 'tearing of flesh', mind you) that was used.[/quote]


This is what I have encountered....and being a newbie....was very surprised.....

It was like getting picked on in high school all over again! (yes, I was one of those band-nerds...)

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Alycin' post='1532648' date='May 18 2008, 04:55 PM']I agree with you on the general statement, but I don't understand how it applies.

The majority of people are concerned with a lack of charity.

How is that untrue? I'm still confused. lol.[/quote]
Because I don't agree that there has been a lack of charity in general at Phatmass, and posts by a small number of people in one thread is not a "majority of people."

One thread is not a "majority of threads" either, and people only post in threads that interest them, which means that no single thread is representative of anything of any substantive importance on any given issue.

Remember, we are just talking about an internet forum.

:)

Edited by Apotheoun
Madame Vengier
Posted

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1532390' date='May 18 2008, 02:02 PM']since I know a few people who aren't afraid to speak up about what they feel is right, no matter how it may be taken...[/quote]

Many are called but only few are chosen. :smokey:

Madame Vengier
Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1532225' date='May 18 2008, 08:49 AM']Just it case anyone had any doubts about me, I do love you all. Whether you're an Obama voter, former Obama voter, Hillary voter, McCain voter, Paul voter, or you're voting for the Pope may the Lord bless and keep you. :)[/quote]


Yes, especially since no matter who wins come November, we'll all be in the same boat together. And I fear it'll be a rocky boat. :sadder:

Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532737' date='May 18 2008, 07:20 PM']Because I don't agree that there has been a lack of charity in general at Phatmass, and posts by a small number of people in one thread is not a "majority of people."

One thread is not a "majority of threads" either, and people only post in threads that interest them, which means that no single thread is representative of anything of any substantive importance on any given issue.

Remember, we are just talking about an internet forum.

:)[/quote]


Well the first 3 or 4 times I made the statement, "majority of people [u][b]in this thread[/b][/u]"... I think it's obvious that the one time I left out the "in this thread" part was a mistake. <_<


And I agree that there hasn't been a lack of charity [i]in general[/i]. Most of the people I encounter here at phatmass are quite charitable, indeed! :)

Madame Vengier
Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532554' date='May 18 2008, 05:07 PM']Sadly some people see offense where none is intended.[/quote]


Exactly. I don't expect some folks to see this point of view though. They will stay stuck on the notion that they are victims of horrible rude people here at Phatmass who just want to hurt them, and that they themselves bear no responsibility when chaos ensues.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Alycin' post='1532786' date='May 18 2008, 05:32 PM']Most of the people I encounter here at phatmass are quite charitable, indeed! :)[/quote]
I tend to agree with this comment. I've been a member of Phatmass for nearly 4 years, and as far as internet fora are concerned, it is one of the best.

Edited by Apotheoun
Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532804' date='May 18 2008, 07:39 PM']I tend to agree with this comment. I've been a member of Phatmass for nearly 4 years, and as far as internet fora are concerned, it is one of the best.[/quote]

:yes:

Roamin Catholic
Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532554' date='May 18 2008, 05:07 PM']Sadly some people see offense where none is intended.[/quote]

and that why we need to have patience in our day to day lives


[quote name='rachael' post='1532559' date='May 18 2008, 05:09 PM']This is the Internet. It's bound to happen.[/quote]

It's bound to happen in any part of life


[quote name='prose' post='1532567' date='May 18 2008, 05:11 PM']I hate (don't hate, appreciate) (don't hate (don't hate, appreciate), appreciate) lent because of this...

Oh wait...[/quote]


:lol_pound:

Posted

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1532815' date='May 18 2008, 07:43 PM']It's bound to happen in any part of life[/quote]
Pretty much. But many times it's going to be worse on the internet. We aren't face-to-face, and we cannot see each other's reactions.



Roamin....btw... :console:

Roamin Catholic
Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1532824' date='May 18 2008, 06:47 PM']Roamin....btw... :console:[/quote]


is this a trap???

*bighug*

Posted

no. :rolleyes:

Roamin Catholic
Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1532846' date='May 18 2008, 06:55 PM']no. :rolleyes:[/quote]


:bash:

goldenchild17
Posted

[quote name='kujo' post='1531245' date='May 17 2008, 09:53 AM']Hey phamily. I've been on Phatmass for about 2 years, admittedly not nearly as long or as diligently as some of you have been. Still, I think I have a pretty good idea of how things work around here. We play hard and we pray hard, right?

But lately, I've noticed this dark cloud over some of our threads and discussions. It seems like a lot of them end in bitter arguments and name calling. I don't know why this is, but it's making myself and a lot of others very uncomfortable. It seems like alot of us (myself included) have lost sight of Christian charity.

Anyway, I wanted to point this out for everyone to think about. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure it's worth a try, ya know? I love all of you, even the ones that drive me :crazy:!!!

In Christ's heart,
Kujo[/quote]

I'm seeing it to. Mostly ever since the Election Section got started. Most of the problems seem to be there. Those threads seem worse than any "rad-trad" discussion here ever did, if that could be possible.

Posted

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' post='1532886' date='May 19 2008, 10:10 AM']:bash:[/quote]
Hey, don't pick on rachael! :bash:

Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1533292' date='May 19 2008, 05:38 AM']Hey, don't pick on rachael! :bash:[/quote]
It's OK. I'm quite used to it. :P

Roamin Catholic
Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1533292' date='May 19 2008, 04:38 AM']Hey, don't pick on rachael! :bash:[/quote]

:sumo:


[quote name='rachael' post='1533296' date='May 19 2008, 05:22 AM']It's OK. I'm quite used to it. :P[/quote]


:bike:

Posted

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532606' date='May 18 2008, 07:35 PM']It was a reference to your comment about a majority of the people in this thread thinking a certain way.

Please don't take offense, because I was simply stating a truth.[/quote]

Apo, I'm finding it odd that you seem completely unable to admit that there's been a nasty attitude at times on this phorum. You seem to equate this will telling "the truth," which, in my opinion, it just straight-up wrong. I'm sure that being a jerk or condescending or a pompous-blowhole is not exactly what Christ wants out of us, even when "speaking the truth." If anything, we must be nicer than usual, showing our joy and love not our rancor and stuck-upness when preaching the Word of Our Lord.

I am not assigning any of these adjectives to you, to be sure. I am just pointing out that you don't seem too think there is a problem when, in fact, most people who have replied to this thread do. And you have the right to your opinion.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...