Lil Red Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Justin86' post='1532225' date='May 18 2008, 07:49 AM']Just it case anyone had any doubts about me, I do love you all. Whether you're an Obama voter, former Obama voter, Hillary voter, McCain voter, Paul voter, or you're voting for the Pope may the Lord bless and keep you. [/quote] +J.M.J.+
Justin86 Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='kujo' post='1532106' date='May 18 2008, 03:03 PM']Hey guys. I was out at the wedding this evening so I wasn't able to post.[/quote] I went to a funeral this evening for some guy I didn't know. I regularly go to funerals for people I don't know so I can be around people who feel like how I always feel. Opps, thought I was in the emo thread. Sorry.
kujo Posted May 18, 2008 Author Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Justin86' post='1532256' date='May 18 2008, 11:48 AM']I went to a funeral this evening for some guy I didn't know. I regularly go to funerals for people I don't know so I can be around people who feel like how I always feel. Opps, thought I was in the emo thread. Sorry.[/quote] Dude, if you're being sarcastic, rock on! If you're not, I will pray for you.
Justin86 Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='kujo' post='1532269' date='May 19 2008, 01:27 AM']Dude, if you're being sarcastic, rock on! If you're not, I will pray for you.[/quote] lol, check out the emo thread in lame.
prose Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 I have decided, in order to help Phatmass that I will not vote in this American election. That is my contribution.
Justin86 Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 The Second Reading for today struck me as having relevance to this topic. [quote]2 Corinthians 13: 11 - 13 11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Mend your ways, heed my appeal, agree with one another, live in peace, and the God of love and peace will be with you. 12 Greet one another with a holy kiss. 13 All the saints greet you.[/quote] Dear Lord, may all us phatmassers mend our ways, and conduct ourselves in holy charity during this election year while we debate with each other. May the love of God and His peace be ever with us. Amen.
Lil Red Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Justin86' post='1532300' date='May 18 2008, 10:18 AM']The Second Reading for today struck me as having relevance to this topic. Dear Lord, may all us phatmassers mend our ways, and conduct ourselves in holy charity during this election year while we debate with each other. May the love of God and His peace be ever with us. Amen.[/quote] +J.M.J.+ very true! and AMEN!
Apotheoun Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 Charity and truth can never be separated, and so it is never charitable to withhold the truth from someone who needs to hear it. In other words, sometimes a Christian may have to say something that will be quite unpopular, but he must say it anyone, because he is called upon by God to be prophet in the grace of Christ Jesus, the only savior of mankind.
Roamin Catholic Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532341' date='May 18 2008, 12:30 PM']Charity and truth can never be separated, and so it is never charitable to withhold the truth from someone who needs to hear it. In other words, sometimes a Christian may have to say something that will be quite unpopular, but he must say it anyone, because he is called upon by God to be prophet in the grace of Christ Jesus, the only savior of mankind.[/quote] Very True....Which is why I think the election section will be really interesting until November, since I know a few people who aren't afraid to speak up about what they feel is right, no matter how it may be taken...
Alycin Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 I think it's really telling that when people call for charity in word, others perk up and say, "Oh, but we have to tell the truth, and it might be offensive." I think it's pretty plain to see that the majority of people in this thread who noticed the "bad vibe" so to speak on phatmass weren't talking about people being firm in their stances or people not being sugar-coat-y with the stances of the Church. It's about name-calling, downright rudeness that oft had nothing to do with preaching truth, and the excessive use of sarcasm (literally 'tearing of flesh', mind you) that was used. Yes, on occasion, people trying to be firm in Church teaching did so in the most condescending manner they could possibly muster. That, too, is NOT being charitable. When it becomes more about winning an argument for pride's sake and less about sharing the truth, that's when problems develop.
Alycin Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Justin86' post='1532300' date='May 18 2008, 12:18 PM']Dear Lord, may all us phatmassers mend our ways, and conduct ourselves in holy charity during this election year while we debate with each other. May the love of God and His peace be ever with us. Amen.[/quote] Amen.
Apotheoun Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Alycin' post='1532542' date='May 18 2008, 04:02 PM']I think it's pretty plain to see that the majority of people in this thread who noticed the "bad vibe" so to speak on phatmass weren't talking about people being firm in their stances or people not being sugar-coat-y with the stances of the Church.[/quote] The majority does not determine the truth. That said, just as people posting should be charitable (in truth) in what they write, so too those who read the posts should do so in charity, and not with a chip on their shoulder. Edited May 18, 2008 by Apotheoun
Norseman82 Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 Reminds me of what Clemenza said in "The Godfather": "You need one of these every so often...gets rid of the bad blood". [quote name='Justin86' post='1532300' date='May 18 2008, 12:18 PM']The Second Reading for today struck me as having relevance to this topic.[/quote] If you're looking for a kiss, don't look at me!
Apotheoun Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 Sadly some people see offense where none is intended.
rachael Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532554' date='May 18 2008, 06:07 PM']Sadly some people see offense where none is intended.[/quote] This is the Internet. It's bound to happen.
prose Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 I hate (don't hate, appreciate) lent because of this... Oh wait...
Alycin Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532550' date='May 18 2008, 06:05 PM']The majority does not determine the truth.[/quote] I fail to understand what in the world you mean by this. I made a simple statement about how most members who replied in the thread were concerned about an outright lack of charity, and were not talking about people "standing up for truth."
Apotheoun Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Alycin' post='1532584' date='May 18 2008, 04:22 PM']I fail to understand what in the world you mean by this. I made a simple statement about how most members who replied in the thread were concerned about an outright lack of charity, and were not talking about people "standing up for truth." [/quote] It was a reference to your comment about a majority of the people in this thread thinking a certain way. Please don't take offense, because I was simply stating a truth.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now