Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

If I was to leave Canada, and move to the US, where in the US should I move?

I have three children, so this should factor into your reply or suggestions.

Please take for considerationi;

Weather
Industry (I'm an engineer)
Total Population and population density
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)
Possibility of French education
Conservative views
Access to internet services

Thanks there Yanks... I may become one myself someday (never thougth I'd say that 10 years ago!)

Posted

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 11:07 AM']Please take for considerationi;
Possibility of French education[/quote]

Louisiana lol

don't know about the other stuff lol Its very hot down here unless you are along the coast.

Totus Tuus
Posted

Texas fits all of your criteria :)

Posted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1549347' date='May 30 2008, 10:13 AM']Texas fits all of your criteria :)[/quote]


There are french-schools in Texas?!?
:blink:

No kiddin'?

I like their gun policy too... but do they have french guns?

Posted

How about we trade houses? I live in Minnesota.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 11:07 AM']If I was to leave Canada, and move to the US, where in the US should I move?

I have three children, so this should factor into your reply or suggestions.

Please take for considerationi;

Weather
Industry (I'm an engineer)
Total Population and population density
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)
Possibility of French education
Conservative views
Access to internet services

Thanks there Yanks... I may become one myself someday (never thougth I'd say that 10 years ago!)[/quote]

[u]Omaha[/u]
Weather: cold snowy winters, hot, medium-humidity summers
Industry: pretty sure you could find an engineering job there...lots of telecommunications companies and there's always roadwork going on
Total population: 500,000 (proper), 800,000 (metro), density varies, but most of the city is very spread out; most middle-class people have 1/8 to 1/4 acre.
Hockey Team: Lancers ("minor league" professional), Mavericks (college)
French: good schools if you get the right school district; French usually available
Conservative views: pretty widely conservative
Access to internet services: plenty of options

Posted

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 12:07 PM']If I was to leave Canada, and move to the US, where in the US should I move?

I have three children, so this should factor into your reply or suggestions.

Please take for considerationi;

Weather
Industry (I'm an engineer)
Total Population and population density
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)
Possibility of French education
Conservative views
Access to internet services

Thanks there Yanks... I may become one myself someday (never thougth I'd say that 10 years ago!)[/quote]

When you refer to 'weather' and total population/density, what type of ideal climate and population/density you're looking for?

CatherineM
Posted

Tampa has a hockey team that has even won the Stanley cup once, although we got to keep it two years because of the strike.

My church in St. Pete had French masses in the winter because of the number of snowbirds from Quebec. St. Pete is one of the most densely populated counties in the nation. Kind of hard to sprawl with water on 3 sides.

When I lived in Charleston area for awhile, they had French masses there because of the Hugeonauts, which didn't make sense at the time. Miami has a large Haitian community, but I'm not sure you'd want to bring up kids in that part of Miami. There's no real opportunity for French immersion except maybe parts of Louisiana. Spanish, certainly many areas, but not so in French.

It's certainly more conservative in the South than in New England or California. Any area that snowbirds accumulate might be your best bet for French masses, and private schools for the French education.

Posted

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 11:07 AM']Possibility of French education
Conservative views[/quote]

I think these are mutually exclusive.

Farsight one
Posted

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 11:07 AM']If I was to leave Canada, and move to the US, where in the US should I move?

I have three children, so this should factor into your reply or suggestions.

Please take for considerationi;

Weather
Industry (I'm an engineer)
Total Population and population density
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)
Possibility of French education
Conservative views
Access to internet services

Thanks there Yanks... I may become one myself someday (never thougth I'd say that 10 years ago!)[/quote]

Columbia Missouri. I really don't know why, but it popped into my head. I will say that it has weather and access to internet services. There's a hockey team 2 hours away (the St. Louis Blues). It also has the cheapest gas in the nation on average, which is a big deal since some people are estimating that gas will average $10/gallon in just a couple years(bonus).

As for the rest of it - I have no idea.

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' post='1549361' date='May 30 2008, 10:28 AM'][u]Omaha[/u]
Weather: cold snowy winters, hot, medium-humidity summers
Industry: pretty sure you could find an engineering job there...lots of telecommunications companies and there's always roadwork going on
Total population: 500,000 (proper), 800,000 (metro), density varies, but most of the city is very spread out; most middle-class people have 1/8 to 1/4 acre.
Hockey Team: Lancers ("minor league" professional), Mavericks (college)
French: good schools if you get the right school district; French usually available
Conservative views: pretty widely conservative
Access to internet services: plenty of options[/quote]

I'm kind of a small town goer here. Anything over 2000 is getting a little much for me.

If I can throw a stone at my neighbor, he's most likely too close.

My house has 19 acres without a neighbor in sight.

I also have a skating rink in my yard during our 9 months of winter, although this is asking a bit much for American weather I'mcertain. Compromise would be key for this move.

Posted

[quote name='Deb' post='1549359' date='May 30 2008, 10:22 AM']How about we trade houses? I live in Minnesota.[/quote]


Can your house acomodate a family of three children?

Would 19acres and the occasional visit from bears, squirrels and skunks offend you?

We do have access to a large lake which is kinda of nice, but you have to jump the tracks before getting there.

The septic tank is brand new though!

Posted

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1549443' date='May 30 2008, 11:43 AM']When you refer to 'weather' and total population/density, what type of ideal climate and population/density you're looking for?[/quote]

I prefer density and population to be on the lower to mid-end. See above about rock throwing and ice rink.

Although as mentionned, compromise is the key, I'm sure I can adjust to a densly population city of say 5000.



[quote name='CatherineM' post='1549454' date='May 30 2008, 11:50 AM']Tampa has a hockey team that has even won the Stanley cup once, although we got to keep it two years because of the strike.

My church in St. Pete had French masses in the winter because of the number of snowbirds from Quebec. St. Pete is one of the most densely populated counties in the nation. Kind of hard to sprawl with water on 3 sides.

When I lived in Charleston area for awhile, they had French masses there because of the Hugeonauts, which didn't make sense at the time. Miami has a large Haitian community, but I'm not sure you'd want to bring up kids in that part of Miami. There's no real opportunity for French immersion except maybe parts of Louisiana. Spanish, certainly many areas, but not so in French.

It's certainly more conservative in the South than in New England or California. Any area that snowbirds accumulate might be your best bet for French masses, and private schools for the French education.[/quote]

Appealing... Very appealing...
Sorry about the Quebeckers visiting.
French can be foregone for latin... compromise compromise compromise...

Private school would definately be a porogative, heard too many horror stories about the american educational system (no offense intended). Homeshooling may be an option too?!?!



[quote name='Farsight one' post='1549463' date='May 30 2008, 11:58 AM']Columbia Missouri. I really don't know why, but it popped into my head. I will say that it has weather and access to internet services. There's a hockey team 2 hours away (the St. Louis Blues). It also has the cheapest gas in the nation on average, which is a big deal since some people are estimating that gas will average $10/gallon in just a couple years(bonus).

As for the rest of it - I have no idea.[/quote]

St. Louis has a good hockehy history! Wayne G. played there a bit.

Cheap gas - my kind of town.

Does the water freezee in winter time?

Posted

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549478' date='May 30 2008, 01:17 PM']Can your house acomodate a family of three children?

Would 19acres and the occasional visit from bears, squirrels and skunks offend you?

We do have access to a large lake which is kinda of nice, but you have to jump the tracks before getting there.

The septic tank is brand new though![/quote]


It could accomodate three kids if they didn't mind sharing a room.
I don't think you would want to trade. I would in a minute. I love bears and squirrels and skunks and acres of land and I like to jump tracks. I love to ice skate and I don't really like people so would be away from them. Is your house big enough to turn into a convent?

I actually live in a two bedroom townhouse, 1 1/2 baths. Bedrooms are HUGE and one has a walk in closet that could actually be another bedroom. Rest of house is small and is definitely not small town. 16 miles from downtown Minneapolis. We do have the Minnesota Wild for Hockey, baseball and kind of football as well as soccer and lots of culture. The new commuter train should be in place by next year so no more driving the car to work! Yea! I have no idea about engineering jobs. I work in social services.

Posted

Move west to Alaska

It will feel exactly the same. Oh except for the lack of free medical services

Posted

alaska is west of all of canada

CatherineM
Posted

Low density would make me nuts. Besides the fact that I think Urban Sprawl is an eco-no no, I love the life of a city. Within 10 blocks of my condo, there are 25 different nationality restaurants or groceries. I have tried them all except the new Fijian grocery store. We don't have to own a car, and I walk two blocks to mass. There are 12 units in my building, with 9 different countries represented. The two year old across the hall is already speaking English, French and Chinese. I guess if you didn't like foreigners, then this would definitely not be your idea of paradise.

Posted

[quote name='Deb' post='1549487' date='May 30 2008, 12:26 PM']It could accomodate three kids if they didn't mind sharing a room.
I don't think you would want to trade. I would in a minute. I love bears and squirrels and skunks and acres of land and I like to jump tracks. I love to ice skate and I don't really like people so would be away from them. Is your house big enough to turn into a convent?

I actually live in a two bedroom townhouse, 1 1/2 baths. Bedrooms are HUGE and one has a walk in closet that could actually be another bedroom. Rest of house is small and is definitely not small town. 16 miles from downtown Minneapolis. We do have the Minnesota Wild for Hockey, baseball and kind of football as well as soccer and lots of culture. The new commuter train should be in place by next year so no more driving the car to work! Yea! I have no idea about engineering jobs. I work in social services.[/quote]

You'd definately have the space to build a convent if you wanted!

Sounds like a pretty nice patch you got there.

have you tried jumping the tracks with the train coming?

I don't recommend petting the skunks...



[quote name='hot stuff' post='1549491' date='May 30 2008, 12:29 PM']Move west to Alaska

It will feel exactly the same. Oh except for the lack of free medical services[/quote]

Why didn't I think of that! With the oil projects moving ahead out there I could probably settle nicely.

Is there internet access though?



[quote name='CatherineM' post='1549519' date='May 30 2008, 12:41 PM']Low density would make me nuts. Besides the fact that I think Urban Sprawl is an eco-no no, I love the life of a city. Within 10 blocks of my condo, there are 25 different nationality restaurants or groceries. I have tried them all except the new Fijian grocery store. We don't have to own a car, and I walk two blocks to mass. There are 12 units in my building, with 9 different countries represented. The two year old across the hall is already speaking English, French and Chinese. I guess if you didn't like foreigners, then this would definitely not be your idea of paradise.[/quote]

Not having to own a car sounds heavenly!

Nothing against foreigners, except those from Quebec (which is where I come from if that makes any sense?).

CatherineM
Posted

If you want to work in the oil patch, we have a few of those in Alberta from what I understand. I'm told they are going to put a new upgrader on the East side of Edmonton that is going to bring in another 200,000 people. I live 2 blocks from Rexall Place, so I can definitely attest to there being a hockey team in this town. During the Stanley Cup two years ago, there were crazy hockey fans swinging from electric lines. You just know there was alcohol involved in that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...