An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In The Us Should I Move?

Didacus

franciscanheart

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1550331' date='May 31 2008, 01:23 AM']From the perspective of a Texas native, perhaps it is not hot there. But coming from someone who lives in Minnesota (not even as cold as Canada) it is unbearably hot. I believe that if Didacus visited there during the summer he would rule it out in a heartbeat.[/quote]
We can't help it that you're weanies. :idontknow: Even people up North get grouchy with the cold. We can't help that winter makes people unruly. (Yes, this is me saying that we're not scared of winter weather, we're just not especially experienced in coping with it.)

ardillacid

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1550332' date='May 31 2008, 02:24 AM']probably true. Colorado's still best, though the French aspect is still not good probably.[/quote]
What's great about Colorado is that you know what laws are going to be passed in the future. If California passes a law then Colorado will in about 2-3 years. :lol:

jk

but seriously

haha

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1550333' date='May 31 2008, 02:25 AM']We can't help it that you're weanies. :idontknow: Even people up North get grouchy with the cold. We can't help that winter makes people unruly. (Yes, this is me saying that we're not scared of winter weather, we're just not especially experienced in coping with it.)[/quote]
I enjoy cool weather. Most people here that I know do. I despise hot weather. I would not be able to live in Texas. You are used to it being so hot out that you burn your hands just putting on your seatbelt or touching the steering wheel. I'm used to it being freezing cold. personal preference. I'm sure a Canadian would be more likely to agree with me though.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1550333' date='May 31 2008, 03:25 AM']We can't help it that you're weanies. :idontknow: Even people up North get grouchy with the cold. We can't help that winter makes people unruly. (Yes, this is me saying that we're not scared of winter weather, we're just not especially experienced in coping with it.)[/quote]

HAHA I know Texans who would admit that they are scared of it! :lol_roll:

goldenchild17

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1550333' date='May 31 2008, 01:25 AM']We can't help it that you're weanies. :idontknow: Even people up North get grouchy with the cold. We can't help that winter makes people unruly. (Yes, this is me saying that we're not scared of winter weather, we're just not especially experienced in coping with it.)[/quote]

even more true

goldenchild17

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1550337' date='May 31 2008, 01:29 AM']What's great about Colorado is that you know what laws are going to be passed in the future. If California passes a law then Colorado will in about 2-3 years. :lol:[/quote]

hmm :mellow: okay yeah you win. Colorado is just a bunch of misplaced Californians (which is strange considering Colorado IS, on average, much more conservative than California could ever hope to be).

Deus te Amat

What does Texas have that can beat this?

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2257/2483271145_d46104d9c6.jpg[/img]

That's right. Nothing.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 11:07 AM']If I was to leave Canada, and move to the US, where in the US should I move?

I have three children, so this should factor into your reply or suggestions.

Please take for considerationi;

Weather
Industry (I'm an engineer)
Total Population and population density
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)
Possibility of French education
Conservative views
Access to internet services

Thanks there Yanks... I may become one myself someday (never thougth I'd say that 10 years ago!)[/quote]

Northeast Kansas...
Topeka/Kansas City, KS area.
four full seasons of wheather, from playing on the ice, to dodging tornados :unsure: , swimming, water skiing, and sweating in the summers, all the way to play in the leaves. Four wonderful seasons that will never let you get bored.
What kind of engineer, I dunno, but they're is work to be found.
Topeka HAS a hockey team, hmmm, Hockey in Kansas??? Chess is a little more difficult to find outside of the schools, but I can find a good games every now and then.
When you say French Education, do you mean like the possibility to learn French, study French ect, or like the entire education is in French? The first you can find the second, not so much.
Conservative Views...We'll we're Kansas definately Conservative, just don't go to Lawrence...Hippies :hippie: yikes. Internet is everywhere, I'm in the Desert of Iraq right now, and look...I have Internet in my room. Seriously though, there are a wide variety of internet options to choose from.

And one thing you didn't ask about is that we have the absolutly wonderful Archbishop Naumann :bishop: , and great :priest: all over.

Kansas definately a great place to live.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1549754' date='May 30 2008, 04:10 PM']Minnesota

Weather: winter 9 months long, so it would be just like home.

Industry: depends what kind of engineering you are looking for, but 3 other people in my immediate family are engineers and all have really nice jobs

Population is variant

Minnesota is the best state in the Union for hockey. The Wild have sold out every game since they opened up shop.

Education in Minnesota is considered top-notch in the Union.

We have a conservative governor and senator, but generally the state leans left.

I really don't know where you COULDN'T get internet access, I mean its the 21st century.[/quote]

Minnesota; sounds nice. I'll put it on my list.

Err, you know, in my neck of the woods lots of places don't have internet access.

[quote name='TraderTif' post='1549786' date='May 30 2008, 04:46 PM']Well, you could always look at Vermont, although it wouldn't meet all of your criteria....
Weather: Very much like Canada (after all, we're just south of your border!!)

Industry: Not a lot, although IBM is a big employer, so I suppose it's possible.

Total Population and population density: Quite rural, especially in the northeastern part of the state.

Hockey team proximity: I have no idea, lol. But we certainly have the climate for it. And I seem to recall a (minor) hockey team here called the "Frost Heaves".....(I don't really follow sports).

Possibility of French education: I don't know, but we have some towns that straddle the Canadian border (literally), so there might be more of that sort of thing up there.

Conservative views: Sorry, not a chance. This state is [i]depressingly [/i]liberal. Although, you will find great diversity depending on where you go. (The people get more conservative in the more rural areas.....sometimes.)

Access to internet services: Pretty good, and the state is working hard to make it better, but some of the really rural areas still have difficulties.

Vermont is a beautiful state, low on people, high on trees, and snowy in the winter. It can be an expensive place to live, and you have to drive a long way to reach anything. But how many places are left where you can go to town, walk into the general store (which is also the town post office, video rental, gas station, deli, feed store, and grocery), and trip over the owner's dog on your way to the cash register?[/quote]

Yes I've seen Vermont in pics and heard a lot about it. Maybe its liberal because its too close to Canada?
I'll put it on the list, right below Minnesota.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1549952' date='May 30 2008, 07:19 PM']There are many small towns in Colorado. Though the bigger cities are not too far away should you need to go. My family has 73 acres of land and is about 25 minutes from Colorado Springs. But the snow and ice don't last long enough for a rink. We get snow, but it doesn't usually last for very long at any one time, at least not here. That's not so much the case up near the mountains. You could get a nice quiet place near the mountains and have snow in the winter, but it would be pricier.[/quote]

Colorado is the old Quebec Nordiques team! If ever they move back to Quebec, I hope they get named the 'Quebec Union Jacks'! I admit, not as good as having a hockey team in Saudi Arabia named 'The Crusading Christians', but sure to get attention.

I'll put it on the list.