An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In The Us Should I Move?

Didacus

CatherineM

Low density would make me nuts. Besides the fact that I think Urban Sprawl is an eco-no no, I love the life of a city. Within 10 blocks of my condo, there are 25 different nationality restaurants or groceries. I have tried them all except the new Fijian grocery store. We don't have to own a car, and I walk two blocks to mass. There are 12 units in my building, with 9 different countries represented. The two year old across the hall is already speaking English, French and Chinese. I guess if you didn't like foreigners, then this would definitely not be your idea of paradise.

[quote name='Deb' post='1549487' date='May 30 2008, 12:26 PM']It could accomodate three kids if they didn't mind sharing a room.
I don't think you would want to trade. I would in a minute. I love bears and squirrels and skunks and acres of land and I like to jump tracks. I love to ice skate and I don't really like people so would be away from them. Is your house big enough to turn into a convent?

I actually live in a two bedroom townhouse, 1 1/2 baths. Bedrooms are HUGE and one has a walk in closet that could actually be another bedroom. Rest of house is small and is definitely not small town. 16 miles from downtown Minneapolis. We do have the Minnesota Wild for Hockey, baseball and kind of football as well as soccer and lots of culture. The new commuter train should be in place by next year so no more driving the car to work! Yea! I have no idea about engineering jobs. I work in social services.[/quote]

You'd definately have the space to build a convent if you wanted!

Sounds like a pretty nice patch you got there.

have you tried jumping the tracks with the train coming?

I don't recommend petting the skunks...

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1549491' date='May 30 2008, 12:29 PM']Move west to Alaska

It will feel exactly the same. Oh except for the lack of free medical services[/quote]

Why didn't I think of that! With the oil projects moving ahead out there I could probably settle nicely.

Is there internet access though?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1549519' date='May 30 2008, 12:41 PM']Low density would make me nuts. Besides the fact that I think Urban Sprawl is an eco-no no, I love the life of a city. Within 10 blocks of my condo, there are 25 different nationality restaurants or groceries. I have tried them all except the new Fijian grocery store. We don't have to own a car, and I walk two blocks to mass. There are 12 units in my building, with 9 different countries represented. The two year old across the hall is already speaking English, French and Chinese. I guess if you didn't like foreigners, then this would definitely not be your idea of paradise.[/quote]

Not having to own a car sounds heavenly!

Nothing against foreigners, except those from Quebec (which is where I come from if that makes any sense?).

CatherineM

If you want to work in the oil patch, we have a few of those in Alberta from what I understand. I'm told they are going to put a new upgrader on the East side of Edmonton that is going to bring in another 200,000 people. I live 2 blocks from Rexall Place, so I can definitely attest to there being a hockey team in this town. During the Stanley Cup two years ago, there were crazy hockey fans swinging from electric lines. You just know there was alcohol involved in that.

missionarybelle

Lafayette, Louisiana.

Weather -Nice. usually. rarely gets below freezing, a bit warm in th summer but that's what pools are for right?
Industry (I'm an engineer): great petroleum industry and i know a lot of engineers who have great jobs but i don't know what kind of engineer you are
Total Population and population density: Population 110,275 - metro 512,720 Density 2,316.7 /sq mi - metro 98 /sq mi
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport) um, i think our university has a hockey team, two of my friends play on it. but i'm not a follower of the sport
Possibility of French education: very high. we have many schools with french immersion programs and most of our street signs and public signs are actually in english and french. we have regular french Masses all over and have a strong French Heritage.
Conservative views: very strongly conservative
Access to internet services: easy? we have lots of options

[quote name='missionarybelle' post='1549669' date='May 30 2008, 03:52 PM']Lafayette, Louisiana.

Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport) um, i think our university has a hockey team, two of my friends play on it. but i'm not a follower of the sport[/quote]

Mudbugs Hockey isn't too far away ;)

I can vouch for Alaska. Its beautiful there.

And why would they not have internet? Do you think that it's desolate? :unsure:

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549477' date='May 30 2008, 01:16 PM']I'm kind of a small town goer here. Anything over 2000 is getting a little much for me.[/quote]

lol Blanchard, Louisiana lol population 2,050

ardillacid

Minnesota

Weather: winter 9 months long, so it would be just like home.

Industry: depends what kind of engineering you are looking for, but 3 other people in my immediate family are engineers and all have really nice jobs

Population is variant

Minnesota is the best state in the Union for hockey. The Wild have sold out every game since they opened up shop.

Education in Minnesota is considered top-notch in the Union.

We have a conservative governor and senator, but generally the state leans left.

I really don't know where you COULDN'T get internet access, I mean its the 21st century.

Well, you could always look at Vermont, although it wouldn't meet all of your criteria....

Weather: Very much like Canada (after all, we're just south of your border!!)

Industry: Not a lot, although IBM is a big employer, so I suppose it's possible.

Total Population and population density: Quite rural, especially in the northeastern part of the state.

Hockey team proximity: I have no idea, lol. But we certainly have the climate for it. And I seem to recall a (minor) hockey team here called the "Frost Heaves".....(I don't really follow sports).

Possibility of French education: I don't know, but we have some towns that straddle the Canadian border (literally), so there might be more of that sort of thing up there.

Conservative views: Sorry, not a chance. This state is [i]depressingly [/i]liberal. Although, you will find great diversity depending on where you go. (The people get more conservative in the more rural areas.....sometimes.)

Access to internet services: Pretty good, and the state is working hard to make it better, but some of the really rural areas still have difficulties.

Vermont is a beautiful state, low on people, high on trees, and snowy in the winter. It can be an expensive place to live, and you have to drive a long way to reach anything. But how many places are left where you can go to town, walk into the general store (which is also the town post office, video rental, gas station, deli, feed store, and grocery), and trip over the owner's dog on your way to the cash register?

Farsight one

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549480' date='May 30 2008, 01:22 PM']Does the water freezee in winter time?[/quote]
As far as I know. It's kind of the midwest. About a month ago, my town (which is about 2 hours west of Columbia), it was below freezing at 8 am and 70 degrees by 2 pm. So, really, freezing water is simply something I can't predict, but I find the weather fun. You get a sampling of pretty much everything.

allis-challmers

[quote]If I was to leave Canada, and move to the US, where in the US should I move?

I have three children, so this should factor into your reply or suggestions.

Please take for considerationi;

Weather
Industry (I'm an engineer)
Total Population and population density
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)
Possibility of French education
Conservative views
Access to internet services

Thanks there Yanks... I may become one myself someday (never thougth I'd say that 10 years ago!)[/quote]

hey I have my house for sale

want to live is southern Indiana in a very small town of schnellville

can't throw a rock and hit any of my nieghbors

Industry some Power plants and alcoa toyota or ak steel

no hocky internet (but dial up) no frech and lots of trees and cows

goldenchild17

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549338' date='May 30 2008, 10:07 AM']Weather[/quote]

Colorado's is pretty darn nice most of the time

[quote]Industry (I'm an engineer)[/quote]

Can't really speak to that, but CO Springs has got to be one of the fastest expanding cities in the country. I'm sure Denver's got stuff too.

[quote]Total Population and population density[/quote]

Not overbearing, but not barren.

[quote]Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport)[/quote]

Colorado Avalanche in Denver (NHL) and Colorado College, one of the better university hockey teams. Most of the universities have a hockey team here, but these are the most notable.

[quote]Possibility of French education[/quote]

Don't know anything about this here.

[quote]Conservative views[/quote]

Colorado overall is pretty darn conservative. CO Springs is insanely so. The further North you go it gets more liberal (i.e. Boulder) but it's overall very conservative.

[quote]Access to internet services[/quote]

anywhere in the state I would assume. My family lives in the middle of nowhere and we've got pretty fast cable internet. If we can get it, just about anywhere here should have it.

Edited by goldenchild17

goldenchild17

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549477' date='May 30 2008, 12:16 PM']I'm kind of a small town goer here. Anything over 2000 is getting a little much for me.

If I can throw a stone at my neighbor, he's most likely too close.

My house has 19 acres without a neighbor in sight.

I also have a skating rink in my yard during our 9 months of winter, although this is asking a bit much for American weather I'mcertain. Compromise would be key for this move.[/quote]

There are many small towns in Colorado. Though the bigger cities are not too far away should you need to go. My family has 73 acres of land and is about 25 minutes from Colorado Springs. But the snow and ice don't last long enough for a rink. We get snow, but it doesn't usually last for very long at any one time, at least not here. That's not so much the case up near the mountains. You could get a nice quiet place near the mountains and have snow in the winter, but it would be pricier.