An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In The Us Should I Move?

Didacus

goldenchild17

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549480' date='May 30 2008, 12:22 PM']I prefer density and population to be on the lower to mid-end. See above about rock throwing and ice rink.

Although as mentionned, compromise is the key, I'm sure I can adjust to a densly population city of say 5000.
Appealing... Very appealing...
Sorry about the Quebeckers visiting.
French can be foregone for latin... compromise compromise compromise...

Private school would definately be a porogative, heard too many horror stories about the american educational system (no offense intended). Homeshooling may be an option too?!?![/quote]

Are there small towns in Florida? :) I don't know, I've only been there a couple of times and mostly it's big cities and retirement communities from what I can tell :mellow:. Homeschooling is very good and easy in Colorado and there are Catholic schools attached to the diocese. The French thing is about the only downside I can see. But I don't know, maybe there's something in Denver.

goldenchild17

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1549519' date='May 30 2008, 12:41 PM']Low density would make me nuts. Besides the fact that I think Urban Sprawl is an eco-no no, I love the life of a city. Within 10 blocks of my condo, there are 25 different nationality restaurants or groceries. I have tried them all except the new Fijian grocery store. We don't have to own a car, and I walk two blocks to mass. There are 12 units in my building, with 9 different countries represented. The two year old across the hall is already speaking English, French and Chinese. I guess if you didn't like foreigners, then this would definitely not be your idea of paradise.[/quote]

definitely agree. This is partly why I'm moving to Denver (though it's probably not as big city as most other big cities). I hate (don't hate, appreciate) suburbia.

By French education are you referring to language immersion? That type of program is hard to come by in the states. We are notoriously bad at teaching languages although it is possible to to learn them.

abercius24

Austin, Texas

Weather: Very nice 9 months out of the year -- and very green; a bit humid and warm during the summer and a bit icy during the winter.
Industry: Mainly IT and Electronics Manufacturing
Total Population and population density: Moderate on both counts
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport): Do the Ice Bats count???
Possibility of French education: University of Texas at Austin is an amazing university; in fact Austin is one of the top 5 most educated U.S. cities (24% with at least a bachelor's degree)
Conservative views: Texas in general is very conservative, yet Austin's liberal attitude seems to balance things out a bit
Access to internet services: This is an IT town!
Children and Family: Austinites are very friendly, unassuming and very cordial to children. In fact I came from California where people do not talk to each other with having first been introduced. Takes me aback a bit when people are so friendly here.
Other: Austin also has a very rich and diverse culture. The city holds the title of being the Live Music Capital of the World offering music from rock and folk to country. We also have a very health conscious attitude and we love the outdoors.

Edited by abercius24

Deus te Amat

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1549754' date='May 30 2008, 05:10 PM']Minnesota

Weather: winter 9 months long, so it would be just like home.

Industry: depends what kind of engineering you are looking for, but 3 other people in my immediate family are engineers and all have really nice jobs

Population is variant

Minnesota is the best state in the Union for hockey. The Wild have sold out every game since they opened up shop.

Education in Minnesota is considered top-notch in the Union.

We have a conservative governor and senator, but generally the state leans left.

I really don't know where you COULDN'T get internet access, I mean its the 21st century.[/quote]

Agreed with Not a squirrel boy here. Minnesota seems like your best option. I would guess that the Northern Minnesota region, close to Duluth, for example, would be your best bet for all your criteria. Duluth itself is a medium sized city, about 60,000 people, but it takes a very short drive to reach sparsly populated country. You would have access to a great private school system and the Great lakes...i.e. a large shipping center. I'm believe you'd be able to find a job as an engineer. The region is also extremely beautiful containing alot of wildlife.

The diocese of Duluth has been called the "talk of the country" because of its Orthodoxy and number of vocation entrants per capita. I heard that they have 30 or so seminarians... making them 4th in the country? I think, for number of seminarians per capita. The Bishop is also very traditional and used to be the General Secretary for the USCCB.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1549347' date='May 30 2008, 10:13 AM']Texas fits all of your criteria :)[/quote]
I was going to say the same thing. :)

[quote name='Didacus' post='1549350' date='May 30 2008, 10:15 AM']There are french-schools in Texas?!?
:blink:

No kiddin'?

I like their gun policy too... but do they have french guns?[/quote]
Yes, actually. :) My friend teaches/interns at a French school. Her youngins are wee tots... I don't think anyone in her class is over 5yrs old... and they all speak fluently! :))

Pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.

ardillacid

[quote name='abercius24' post='1550284' date='May 31 2008, 12:58 AM']Austin, Texas

Weather: Very nice 9 months out of the year -- and very green; a bit humid and warm during the summer and a bit icy during the winter.
Industry: Mainly IT and Electronics Manufacturing
Total Population and population density: Moderate on both counts
Hockey team proximity (along with Chess, this is the ONLY sport): Do the Ice Bats count???
Possibility of French education: University of Texas at Austin is an amazing university; in fact Austin is one of the top 5 most educated U.S. cities (24% with at least a bachelor's degree)
Conservative views: Texas in general is very conservative, yet Austin's liberal attitude seems to balance things out a bit
Access to internet services: This is an IT town!
Children and Family: Austinites are very friendly, unassuming and very cordial to children. In fact I came from California where people do not talk to each other with having first been introduced. Takes me aback a bit when people are so friendly here.
Other: Austin also has a very rich and diverse culture. The city holds the title of being the Live Music Capital of the World offering music from rock and folk to country. We also have a very health conscious attitude and we love the outdoors.[/quote]
#1. Texas is hot as hell, you don't want to live there didacus. They have state emergencies if it snows out.
#2. Texas stole their hockey team from Minnesota. Yeah. Exactly. Most of 'em probably haven't even seen ice on a lake. How sad.
#3. By rich and diverse he means a lot of illegals from mexico ;)

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1550318' date='May 31 2008, 02:12 AM']<_< if you go to Minnesota you might as well stay in Canada :mellow:[/quote]
:furious:

Edited by notardillacid

franciscanheart

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1550321' date='May 31 2008, 01:15 AM']#1. Texas is hot as hell, you don't want to live there didacus. They have state emergencies if it snows out.
#2. Texas stole their hockey team from Minnesota. Yeah. Exactly.
#3. By rich and diverse he means a lot of illegals from mexico ;)
:furious:[/quote]
Texas isn't hot as hell. I'm pretty sure hell is far hotter. Does it get pretty warm here? Yeah. But in Dallas, we stay quite a bit cooler than many places in New Mexico, Arizona, and even California.

goldenchild17

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1550322' date='May 31 2008, 01:17 AM']Texas isn't hot as hell. I'm pretty sure hell is far hotter. Does it get pretty warm here? Yeah. But in Dallas, we stay quite a bit cooler than many places in New Mexico, Arizona, and even California.[/quote]

mhmm. I've lived in both San Antonio and Tucson and Arizona is definitely worse.

ardillacid

From the perspective of a Texas native, perhaps it is not hot there. But coming from someone who lives in Minnesota (not even as cold as Canada) it is unbearably hot. I believe that if Didacus visited there during the summer he would rule it out in a heartbeat.

goldenchild17

probably true. Colorado's still best, though the French aspect is still not good probably.