An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vp Debate

Lounge Daddy

Lounge Daddy

I think that Palin cleaned house. No doubt there has been some conversions from this; and yet again I find myself wishing that she were on top of the ticket.

The golden moment for me was when Biden got all upset when Palin pointed out that Obama voted voted to increase taxes 94 times. Palin stated: “I may not answer the question the way the moderator or you want, but I’m going to answer and talk straight to the American people.” And then she repeated: 94 times!

Then the moderator cut her off. SCORE for Palin

I almost had bingo with Biden but he said "35 years" instead of "36 years"... and was close to a bingo with Palin... if only she had said "hockey mom"!

oh... you mean the actual discussion? lol.... was anything of importance said? lol except that Palin wants to ignore the constitution to give herself more power and that both of them basically agree on everything from homosexuals to the bailout bill... yeah... just made me sad.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1668845' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:48 PM']I almost had bingo with Biden but he said "35 years" instead of "36 years"... and was close to a bingo with Palin... if only she had said "hockey mom"!

oh... you mean the actual discussion? lol.... was anything of importance said? lol except that Palin wants to ignore the constitution to give herself more power and that both of them basically agree on everything from homosexuals to the bailout bill... yeah... just made me sad.[/quote]

We are in total agreament :detective:

Lounge Daddy

I was just going to ask if anyone else played [url="http://www.palinbingo.com/"]Palin Bingo [/url] or Biden Bingo :lol:

[img]http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/1abingo002.jpg[/img]

Let's see if the main stream media catches the fact that the chairman of the senate judiciary committee doesn't know the US Constitution. Hey Joe, Article I deals with the Legislative branch. Article II deals with the executive.

Ash Wednesday

Well, if it's one good thing for the Republican ticket that can come out of the bad Couric interview, it's that people were expecting Palin to get disemboweled -- but this wasn't the case. She actually came across as stylistically stronger than Biden and she will probably regain some confidence among conservatives that were concerned about her. Some swing voters that are angry about our current administration might not be sold on some of her policies, but it is what it is. Biden probably had some disadvantage in that he had to be careful about the fact that he was debating a woman and how people may perceive any attacks or counterattacks he might make against her.

I think the debates are often just a chance for both candidates to reiterate their positions on things and sell that to prospective voters rather than really get to the truth and the heart of matters. Again, it is what it is.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1668835' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:40 PM']Lets talk about it![/quote]

Vote Palin 2016!!!

She Rocks!

...I didn't see the Couric interview, but I wouldn't be surprised if they highly edited it against her. Dems in office and the media will do anything to win... lie, cheat, steal, etc...

Edited by ironmonk

dairygirl4u2c

when your standard isn't to pull a tina fey, or a curic interview, your expectations are low.
i do admit as i expected she did alright, espcially sylistically.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1668845' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:48 PM']I almost had bingo with Biden but he said "35 years" instead of "36 years"... and was close to a bingo with Palin... if only she had said "hockey mom"!

oh... you mean the actual discussion? lol.... was anything of importance said? lol except that Palin wants to ignore the constitution to give herself more power and that both of them basically agree on everything from homosexuals to the bailout bill... yeah... just made me sad.[/quote]

ditto to an extent.
i'm glad i wasn't the only one seeing the "me too" that palin was doing. "i want to pay for school" "i want alternative energy". if she's really different, she needs to say how. if she wants free market, she needs to say it.
it was like they were arguing how they're the same, but the other side saying "you're not the same this is my issue" the whole time.

she didn't show a command of knowledge. a few basic and crucial facts, and a whole lot of "raisin yer taxes" rhetoric. notice that VP question threw her way off, and biden smoked her on it.
not to mention all the other issues like social securty and a host of other issues not mentioned, though by any.

she didn't say how she's going to pay for the tax cuts, 3.3 trillion. she didn't salvage the "bridge to nowhere" healthcare plan of mccain. how's it going to be paid for? raise everyones taxes, and then give em a tax break? (maybe a bit of a set off given the progressive tax code but not a lot) a lotta sense that makes.

john mccain has defined himself on earmarks and pork... only 18 billion. the budge is two trillion, and his tax cuts are 3.3 trillion. it's unrealistic, and deceptive. he's defined himself by something that doesn't add up. she's going down with him. people buy it though, as they always do.

tax cuts are not necessarily the way to save the economy. cutting spending could be, which they don't want to do. the economy will take care of itself largely. tax cuts won't help the aveage joe if they have to pay it back with interest later. it might create some jobs (jobs doesn't help everyone), a little innovation. but it's not going to do anything much. it's all empty promises.
they can at least be honest, all they care about is the free market, and if the average joe is stuck so be it. they should argue why their principles should justify it. not pretend what's not true.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Haven't been around for awhile. Figured I'd pop my head in and put my 2 cents in for the debate.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I played a drinking game during this debate. Everytime Palin said "Maverick" I had to take a sip. And any mention she made about the Bush Doctrine, Snow Machine, Moose, Lipstick, Hockey Mom, or Family Values would result in finishing my drink. On the Biden side, any "working class" or "middle class" reference was met with a sip (bonus points if we were drinking Miller High Life), and if he told the "I take the train home everyday story" I had to start drinking and couldn't stop 'till he finished. Luckily, that didn't happen.

Anyway, as to the content of the debate. I felt that they both scored some points with their constituencies (Biden's "Bridge to Nowhere" comment and subsequent stare down was probably the "OH SNAP" moment of the night, IMHO), a victory that Palin absolutely needed due to the bad press she's been getting amongst conservatives in the media lately. Biden appeared strong in the area we all figured he would--foreign policy. I felt that he looked and sounded statesman like whereas Palin appeared to be reading the Bush handbook on the subject. While she definitely hammered home that the Obama ticket would raise our taxes, she was woefully unoriginal and robotic on foreign policy. I felt like she really appeared out of her league when discussing nuclear weapons, btw.

Overall, I'd say Biden gets a A- (that gaffe about not knowing what article of the Constitution discusses the Executive Branch will be the [b]most overlooked part of the night[/b]) and Palin gets a B (maybe a B+).

Sarah "the hockey mom" Palin scores a 91.6 % in the debate in my opinion...
Joe "the shark" Biden scores a 83.7% in the debate...

yup.

[quote name='LivingStone' post='1668950' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:00 AM']Sarah "the hockey mom" Palin scores a 91.6 % in the debate in my opinion...
Joe "the shark" Biden scores a 83.7% in the debate...

yup.[/quote]

Meh. Too often it seemed like she was just reciting talking points whereas Biden was better rhetorically, overall.

Biden flat out lies.

Some of the best video that McCain could use would be with Hillary and Biden ripping Obama and promoting McCain over Obama in the primaries... it speaks volumes.