Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

anyone notice the string of wierd emPHAsized george BUSH-es... it was quite funny... I was hoping for him to mispronounce and say "georgia bush's" since georgia was on my bingo card and the country hadn't come up :(

kenrockthefirst
Posted

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1669198' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:03 AM']oh please and while we are counting mistakes :wacko: Biden at one point said "Barack Obam- i mean John McCain..." and let's not forget that Obama said there were 58 states! I know it wa a mis-talk on his part and we all make mistakes but seriously you think that he would have corrected himself if he was truly knowing what he was saying!!!
and then Biden also messed up at least 2 other times on words and got all flustered!

i mean nuclear is a one of those words that is not the easiest to say and I am so happy you can pronounce it and think that every one should but come on!!! also are you remembering the fact that she is from Alaska please they have a twang like NY people have a twang and St.louis :woot: have a twang~ and the beautiful Texas! :texas:

gee besides she knows WAY more about Clean Energy and stuff like that than Biden,Obama and McCain all to gether!!!!


GO PALIN!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! :clap:[/quote]
Having some modicum of education would seem to be, you know, a bare minimum requirement for political office. I infer from anyone's speech, not just Palin's, their level of education, which does not mean of course that one can't make mistakes. But if someone from NY or NJ says "ax" instead of "ask," that reflects on their level of education and, by extension, their critical thinking abilities. The noted conservative William Buckley is an excellent case in point. In short, speaking correctly implies thoughtfulness; speaking incorrectly implies some degree of non-thoughtfulness and/or mental laziness. Being non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious characterizes the current occupant of the White House and I don't want to "go there" again.



[quote name='princessgianna' post='1669201' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:05 AM']I agree to that! She is STRAIGHT TALK!!!
Biden kept going in these longgggggggggggggggggggg explanations she just got right to the point and kept the audience entertained also with her charismatic smile and good choice of words and good humor![/quote]
Right. If something can't be reduced to a sound bite, it's not worth thinking or talking about.

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1669217' date='Oct 3 2008, 09:47 AM']Having some modicum of education would seem to be, you know, a bare minimum requirement for political office. I infer from anyone's speech, not just Palin's, their level of education, which does not mean of course that one can't make mistakes. But if someone from NY or NJ says "ax" instead of "ask," that reflects on their level of education and, by extension, their critical thinking abilities. The noted conservative William Buckley is an excellent case in point. In short, speaking correctly implies thoughtfulness; speaking incorrectly implies some degree of non-thoughtfulness and/or mental laziness. Being non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious characterizes the current occupant of the White House and I don't want to "go there" again.




Right. If something can't be reduced to a sound bite, it's not worth thinking or talking about.[/quote]


And yet, I see Palin making it, regardless of her speech and her pronunciation...

Obama speaks eloquently, but it's what he's saying that I pay attention to, not the way he says it...

Posted

as much as I think that she did a great job and can hold her own as a politician, it's still very sad. why did she just gloss over the potential of alternative energy and about Pakistan. how come she didn't use the words "middle class" as much as Biden? she looked nice and cheeerful though.

Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669183' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:29 AM']KUJO!

Were you wasted by the end of the debate???

:lol:[/quote]

Nah. I'm a big Italian-Irishman. I can hold my liquor.

Posted

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1668857' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:57 PM']I was just going to ask if anyone else played [url="http://www.palinbingo.com/"]Palin Bingo [/url] or Biden Bingo :lol:

[img]http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/1abingo002.jpg[/img][/quote]

I posted the Biden cards previously in a thread here:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=85547"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=85547[/url]

Posted

Did anyone else catch Biden's remark about not only should the government or courts be able to readjust the interest rate on mortgages, but also the principal amount?

Posted

And I found out that "Bosniak" is a real word:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks[/url]

[url="http://www.bosniak.org/06/"]http://www.bosniak.org/06/[/url]

kenrockthefirst
Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669224' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:58 AM']And yet, I see Palin making it, regardless of her speech and her pronunciation...

Obama speaks eloquently, but it's what he's saying that I pay attention to, not the way he says it...[/quote]
So you're good with Palin being non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious, then? A few winks, a few "ya betchas," a few "heckuva's" and it's all good?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEidkJJlD9I"]Sarah Palin meets Fargo[/url]

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1669264' date='Oct 3 2008, 12:45 PM']So you're good with Palin being non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious, then? A few winks, a few "ya betchas," a few "heckuva's" and it's all good?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEidkJJlD9I"]Sarah Palin meets Fargo[/url][/quote]


It is your assumption to believe she is non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious. If that's what you see in her, that's all from your perspective (and the liberal media's perspective as well. But hey, they forced many people to believe Quayle was an idiot, and I never saw him as such.) I don't fall for things like that.

I feel sorry for anybody who walks into your path who speaks without your approved diction. They will get rashly judged as idiots.

Ash Wednesday
Posted

As far as faithful Catholics on here are concerned -- nobody is obliged to like or approve of Palin or McCain. But I do hope that this does not mean that they plan on voting for Obama.

kenrockthefirst
Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669267' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:55 PM']It is your assumption to believe she is non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious. If that's what you see in her, that's all from your perspective (and the liberal media's perspective as well. But hey, they forced many people to believe Quayle was an idiot, and I never saw him as such.) I don't fall for things like that.

I feel sorry for anybody who walks into your path who speaks without your approved diction. They will get rashly judged as idiots.[/quote]
The manner in which a person speaks reflects upon them, just as the manner in which a person dresses or his or her table manners reflect upon them. The point is, Sarah Palin may be the smartest person in the world but you would never know it because she can't pronounce the word "nuclear." Maybe I'm being naive but in my simple worldview, minimal qualification for the presidency includes a modicum of education and ability to communicate.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1669272' date='Oct 3 2008, 02:04 PM']As far as faithful Catholics on here are concerned -- nobody is obliged to like or approve of Palin or McCain. But I do hope that this does not mean that they plan on voting for Obama.[/quote]
Yes, that's what I've been trying to say in this and other threads. McCain / Palin ≠ Catholic. That is not an endorsement of Obama. It simply means that because one is not going to vote for Obama then ipso facto one must vote for McCain / Palin.

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1668845' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:48 PM']I almost had bingo with Biden but he said "35 years" instead of "36 years"... and was close to a bingo with Palin... if only she had said "hockey mom"!

oh... you mean the actual discussion? lol.... was anything of importance said? lol except that Palin wants to ignore the constitution to give herself more power and that both of them basically agree on everything from homosexuals to the bailout bill... yeah... just made me sad.[/quote]

I agree completely. :yawn:

My highlight was when Palin said "doggonit". I almost fell out of my chair...

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1669262' date='Oct 3 2008, 06:28 PM']Did anyone else catch Biden's remark about not only should the government or courts be able to readjust the interest rate on mortgages, but also the principal amount?[/quote]
Yes, definitely caught that. I was like, what the heck?

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1669263' date='Oct 3 2008, 06:36 PM']And I found out that "Bosniak" is a real word:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks[/url]

[url="http://www.bosniak.org/06/"]http://www.bosniak.org/06/[/url][/quote]
Oh, guess I can't make fun of that word, then.

Posted

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1668845' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:48 PM']I almost had bingo with Biden but he said "35 years" instead of "36 years"... and was close to a bingo with Palin... if only she had said "hockey mom"!

oh... you mean the actual discussion? lol.... was anything of importance said? lol except that Palin wants to ignore the constitution to give herself more power and that both of them basically agree on everything from homosexuals to the bailout bill... yeah... just made me sad.[/quote]
She did say hockey mom, right after joe six-pack

dominicansoul
Posted

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1669295' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:43 PM']The manner in which a person speaks reflects upon them, just as the manner in which a person dresses or his or her table manners reflect upon them. The point is, Sarah Palin may be the smartest person in the world but you would never know it because she can't pronounce the word "nuclear." Maybe I'm being naive but in my simple worldview, minimal qualification for the presidency includes a modicum of education and ability to communicate.[/quote]

Prez Bush went throughout his administration mumbling and a bumbling throughout, and he did well enough...


[quote]Yes, that's what I've been trying to say in this and other threads. McCain / Palin ≠ Catholic. That is not an endorsement of Obama. It simply means that because one is not going to vote for Obama then ipso facto one must vote for McCain / Palin.[/quote]

Not when you know Obama will win if we don't vote for McCain/Palin...voting for anyone else is like helping Obama win...regardless if we like or dislike McCain/Palin...they are the only ones who have a chance to keep Obama out of the White House...

Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669356' date='Oct 3 2008, 04:51 PM']Prez Bush went throughout his administration mumbling and a bumbling throughout, and he did well enough...[/quote]

how bad do things really need to be for you to not label the situation "well enough"?

Posted

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669356' date='Oct 3 2008, 04:51 PM']Not when you know Obama will win if we don't vote for McCain/Palin...voting for anyone else is like helping Obama win...regardless if we like or dislike McCain/Palin...they are the only ones who have a chance to keep Obama out of the White House...[/quote]

even though I disagree with you wholeheartedly, I still don't believe this argument applies to my state (Illinois). McCain has absolutely no chance of winning Illinois. Last time I brought this up, all you could tell me was that by voting for McCain I would still be sending a message to the politicians.. but that totally has nothing to do with your original argument, since Obama would still be in office whether or not politicians notice that he had my support here.

Posted

[quote name='Didymus' post='1669368' date='Oct 3 2008, 05:10 PM']even though I disagree with you wholeheartedly, I still don't believe this argument applies to my state (Illinois). McCain has absolutely no chance of winning Illinois. Last time I brought this up, all you could tell me was that by voting for McCain I would still be sending a message to the politicians.. but that totally has nothing to do with your original argument, since Obama would still be in office whether or not politicians notice that he had my support here.[/quote]

I agree. Sorry, DS, but McCain isn't going to win New Jersey. We bleed blue up here. I'm not voting for McCain [i]or[/i] Obama, because I don't feel either is suitable for the presidency. I need to vote my conscience, and that's what I'm going to do.

Ash Wednesday
Posted

Being that I live in England, it feels weird for me to vote. As is, I guess I'll be voting absentee from WA state. Also blue.

I'm tempted to relocate my U.S. address to someplace like Ohio or Florida. :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...