An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1327335332' post='2373791']
I know. Thinking about the awful food they served in Queens and the funny things the Sisters did chokes me up lately.... :sad:
[/quote]

Oh dear... was it that bad? :hehe2:

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1327349860' post='2373930']
Hmm from my recent visit I can't say that anything was truely bad. There was some really good things though. Fresh fruit at every meal! I love fruit and veggies so that made me so happy. One night we had fish, most of it was some type of white fish including a few small whole fish. I was kinda skeptical about it but I ended up taking one of the little whole fishes. I needn't have worried. The fish was soooo good, cooked perfectly and the meat had that wonderful "sweet" taste. It turns out that one of the Sisters' benefactors lives on a lake and often sends them fresh fish. I think they said the fish had been caught that morning. Yum yum!
The sisters also make their own yogurt. It can be a bit tart but add in a little sugar and some of the homemade granola it makes for a lovely breakfast!
[/quote]

Hee hee! I had the same experience trying the white fish at the monastery! It didn't look appetizing but it was yummy.

And they make yogurt too :topsy:

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327415556' post='2374402']
Oh dear... was it that bad? :hehe2:
[/quote]

Well. I mean it wasn't too bad. The worst was when I was spoon feeding a resident and it was a cooked soggy pepper with sour cream and other gunk on top and it all started mixing together and it looked nasty. I just concentrated on feeding her and decided I wouldn't eat that thing later on. :x

Most it just tasted kind of bland and after feeding the residents and having the food sort of mix together it's kind of gross to eat.....

The best were the mashed potatoes. :)

Edited by i<3LSOP

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327415387' post='2374401']
Woooow... it sounds delicious, all of it. I can't believe they eat so well!
[/quote]

Yes, they have the best meals out of any of the 4 convents I visited. As I said, their benefactor pool is very large so they have food donated constantly. The novice house even had to acquire a deep freezer for all the meat that one of the novices' aunts donated because they knew they'd never be able to eat that much in such a short time before it spoiled. :)

I have visited a TON of communities, and I've never once had bad convent food that I remember. That could have something to do with the fact that I'm the least picky eater you will EVER meet, and I love trying new things. But I always found convent food to be very satisfying. Although usually a little bland, it was always good.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306096795' post='2244534']
Aw, thats very sweet. I have to confess though that as a former convent cook, there was many a day my cooking had barely a pinch of love in it!! :whistle:
[/quote]

As a past convent cook myself, the worst meals my sisters had were probably the ones I made. haha. But they always said how good it was, probably so that I didn't feel bad.

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1327416090' post='2374407']
Well. I mean it wasn't too bad. The worst was when I was spoon feeding a resident and it was a cooked soggy pepper with sour cream and other gunk on top and it all started mixing together and it looked nasty. I just concentrated on feeding her and decided I wouldn't eat that thing later on. :x

Most it just tasted kind of bland and after feeding the residents and having the food sort of mix together it's kind of gross to eat.....

The best were the mashed potatoes. :)
[/quote]

Mmmm... sounds appetising. I [i]really[/i] admire people who do spoonfeeding and bathroom care and stuff for a living :x[b] [EDIT: Oh wait, I do that! D'oh!][/b]

I love mashed potatoes. Have you ever had sweet mashed potatoes? You put a bit of brown sugar in it and I swear it is better than ice-cream.

Edited by marigold

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1327380834' post='2374289']
When I visited the RSMs in November, they had some GREAT food! This is what I remember:

Friday night (upon arrival):
We went to the professed Sisters' house and they had cooked a scrumptious meal:
-Baked seasoned tilapia (I went back for a second helping)
-Green beans
-Wild rice
-Rolls w/ butter
-Key Lime Pie for dessert (since it was the Vocation Director's name day)

Lunch on Saturday:
We went to the postulant house for Adoration and they had made a fabulous meal:
-Lasagna
-Salad
-Cherry Pie for dessert

Dinner on Saturday:
I think this was the BEST meal we had. We went to the novice house and had:
-Beef Short Ribs (so tender!; one of the novices' aunts had donated several pounds of meat since she owns a farm)
-Portabella mushrooms
-Basmati Rice with herbs
-Broccoli and Cauliflower (I don't eat cauliflower so I picked out the broccoli)
-Our choice of Pumpkin or Cherry Pie with a side of Vanilla Ice Cream (I choose pumpkin with it being so close to Thanksgiving)

Sunday brunch at the retreat guest house:
-Eggs
-Maple sausage
-Toast w/ butter
-Grapes and bananas were offered, as well

Sunday dinner:
Another retreatant and I went with the VD back to Saginaw since we were flying out the next day:
-Spaghetti with meatballs and marinara sauce (got a second helping of this, too)
-Steamed zucchini and broccoli
-Salad
-Rolls w/ butter
-Ice Cream Sundaes for dessert (we made them ourselves; you should have seen how much ice cream had been donated! :hehe2:)

If there is one thing I learned it's that Sisters in the RSMs never go hungry. They have plenty of benefactors so they eat really healthy portions of homemade meals. I would love to have the Short Ribs again. Those were AMAZING! :drool:
[/quote]

I am hungry now

Are you trying to bribe me to visit there? :P

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1327440192' post='2374594']
I am hungry now

Are you trying to bribe me to visit there? :P
[/quote]

Well, you are in Michigan, so -- WHY NOT?!?!? :P

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Sister gave us REALLY good fried egg on toast sandwiches for breakfast on Sunday, we didn't even ask for anything, and she just brought us food!

InPersonaChriste

Visitation nuns make really good cookies.
And I haven't eaten anything else from a convent.

Though at the Benedictine Abbey they had really good chicken and rice.

Apparently the worst was Liver and onions (though my brothers loved it, the Philipino boys hated it) and the broccolli where you open it and their were little black specks inside.
Yummy bug protein!

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327430803' post='2374515']
Mmmm... sounds appetising. I [i]really[/i] admire people who do spoonfeeding and bathroom care and stuff for a living :x[b] [EDIT: Oh wait, I do that! D'oh!][/b]

I love mashed potatoes. Have you ever had sweet mashed potatoes? You put a bit of brown sugar in it and I swear it is better than ice-cream.
[/quote]

I'm gonna try the mashed potato thing.....

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1327509360' post='2375037']

Apparently the worst was Liver and onions (though my brothers loved it, the Philipino boys hated it) and the broccolli where you open it and their were little black specks inside.
Yummy bug protein!
[/quote]

We were washing veggies this summer at the *home (nursing *home run by Sisters) and I popped a green bean in my mouth.... and it had some lovely white mold on the end of it and I ran to the trash can and spit it out. I thought I was gonna die. :x

Edited by i<3LSOP

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1327509360' post='2375037']

Yummy bug protein!
[/quote]

You think that's bad? Try eating raw broccoli from your grandmother's garden and, halfway through it, you find a huge green caterpillar inside one of the florets!!! It happened to me. :x