An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1327510071' post='2375048']
You think that's bad? Try eating raw broccoli from your grandmother's garden and, halfway through it, you find a huge green caterpillar inside one of the florets!!! It happened to me. :x
[/quote]

At least it wasn't HALF a green caterpillar.

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1327432900' post='2374535']
I don't think I've ever had bad convent food. The best was the Carmelites.
[/quote]

You would say that.

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1327509675' post='2375040']
I'm gonna try the mashed potato thing.....
[/quote]

:) Let me know how it turns out!

Honestly the SMMCs have the best convent food ever!!! I think it might be because one of the sisters is an experienced cook (she cooks for an entire retreat house) but ooooh man do I love their food (and them and their charism)

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1327511733' post='2375066']
Honestly the SMMCs have the best convent food ever!!! I think it might be because one of the sisters is an experienced cook (she cooks for an entire retreat house) but ooooh man do I love their food (and them and their charism)
[/quote]
Sr Francine is also an amesome cook too! She was the one that cooked the very yummy fish.
Also I think watching a Fr Barron movie or a saint movie during the meal makes anything taste better.

Maybe conventual VISITS are a whole different thing. In our community we novices vied with each other to choose the piece of fruit that had mould on it, to eat up any and all leftovers ( from other's plates!) and yes, I was witness to two sisters who begged their soup ( a la The Nun's Story). This last was stopped not long after my Entry ( 1970's).
However, apart from deference to Poverty, this was a French order, and the food was scrumptious. I was veggie for years after I came out because I had eaten so much amazing veggie food in the convent!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1327510071' post='2375048']
You think that's bad? Try eating raw broccoli from your grandmother's garden and, halfway through it, you find a huge green caterpillar inside one of the florets!!! It happened to me. :x
[/quote]

Edited by linnie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1327462039' post='2374831']
Well, you are in Michigan, so -- WHY NOT?!?!? :P
[/quote]

:|

mysisterisalittlesister

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1327350156' post='2373934']
Wow! It sounds like the Sisters make a lot of home made stuff! Our Sisters only have processed food it seems! I've never seen the Sisters actually cook something when I now think about it.....
[/quote] some of the sisters are cooks, just not at our home. There are a couple novices that love to cook, and they helped make supper after profession. Sr Sharon was so cute :love: as for the processed food, that's because it's all donated. Whenever I eat something stale, I always think of OLOH...

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1327542780' post='2375470']
some of the sisters are cooks, just not at our home. There are a couple novices that love to cook, and they helped make supper after profession. Sr Sharon was so cute :love: as for the processed food, that's because it's all donated. Whenever I eat something stale, I always think of OLOH...
[/quote]

LOL, same here with the stale thing. Great minds think a like... :buddies:

I've been going there now for 2 1/2 years... I know that most of their stuff is donated by now! :P
(I'll tell you when I see you today about the time they were begging and Sr. Mary Grace was sitting behind us) rotfl

Aw, I wish I could have seen the novices baking/cooking :)

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1327631518' post='2375981']
I hope they have chocolate at the retreat :|
[/quote]

That was the one thing they didn't have at my monastery. Gummy bears yes, a friend 'donated' some. But no chocolate. :cry:

• 8 months later...
DiscerningCatholic

I'm bumping an ancient thread.

:lol:

I'm seeing more nun emoticons than we have now! What gives??? :annoyed:

It's really funny how the food eaten by your community tastes sooo good when you're there-not on a purely physical sense, but psychological as well. The Poor Clares would be the first to admit that their food is plain, because it's that way on purpose! However, I just loved it, and I would gladly hand over my pizza/popcorn/candy/starbucks (my guilty pleasures) for the dry bread and cold soup they eat right here, right now. It's crazy how that works!

Thanks for bumping, DC! :like: I have no clue why the nun emoticons have changed.. I know from my phorum lurkings that there used to be a really cute 'embarassed' emoticon that's now gone. Edit: :(

Edited by emmaberry101

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1349833191' post='2491808']
Thanks for bumping, DC! :like: I have no clue why the nun emoticons have changed.. I know from my phorum lurkings that there used to be a really cute 'embarassed' emoticon that's now gone. Edit: :(
[/quote]
You mean this one? :blush: And I think those are nun GIFs or whatever, not emoticons, so they from some other place than pm.

You must mean this one! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img] Yes, so cute!

Those nun emoticons posted by laetitia here aren't ones we had, but are external moving pictures (if that's the right wording) from a photobucket account. Open them individually and you'll see.

For the longest time, we had no nun emoticons at all (only a strange looking monk, which is gone now, lol) Then suddenly we got 5 nuns after there was a petition thread for it if I remember correctly :hehe:

:nun: :nunpray: :nun1: :nun2: :nun3: