[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1282278566' post='2160482']
[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/Hildemv/0008.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:hehe:

I love the animated nun!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1282278805' post='2160486']
[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/Hildemv/0005.gif[/img]

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

L-C. I don't want to stifle your exuberance for convent life, and your animated nun is cute, but sorry, I find this one VERY tiring to watch. Whenever I see her I have to skip the post because her exuberance gives me motion sickness.

She appears to be practicing to be a whirling dervish. While I admire her ecumenical spirit, I am getting a headache as I type this because I can still see her out of the corner of my eye.

I thought Orders weeded out applicants with ADD?

In the meantime, I've heard that liver meatloaf and brussels sprouts do wonders to help young religious discover that the realities of convent life are not all fabulous.

Could you declare it time for one of the LOTH so that she goes to the chapel and quietly prays or chant/sings for a few hours? Or maybe she needs a night-long stint of perpetual adoration. Good for the soul, and nice and quiet.

A nice way of saying--L-C--She's cute, but could you retire this particular emo? Just for me? To help my sanity (which is iffy already)? Please?

I bet she'd be REALLY cute and look like an angel, if we saw her sleeping peacefully in her cell.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='' post='']
[/quote]

if so, they failed to notice my particular case. Homeschoolers with ADD are far more active and distractable than your average ADD kid. It's ADD at a whole new level.

Edited by JTheresa

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JTheresa' timestamp='1282326274' post='2160662']
if so, they failed to notice my particular case. Homeschoolers with ADD are far more active and distractable than your average ADD kid. It's ADD at a whole new level.
[/quote]

I have ADD too. On all the retreats I went on, the Sisters never knew because my case is more on the mild side and doesn't display like ADHD does. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1282324307' post='2160642']
L-C. I don't want to stifle your exuberance for convent life, and your animated nun is cute, but sorry, I find this one VERY tiring to watch. Whenever I see her I have to skip the post because her exuberance gives me motion sickness.

She appears to be practicing to be a whirling dervish. While I admire her ecumenical spirit, I am getting a headache as I type this because I can still see her out of the corner of my eye.

In the meantime, I've heard that liver meatloaf and brussels sprouts do wonders to help young religious discover that the realities of convent life are not all fabulous.

Could you declare it time for one of the LOTH so that she goes to the chapel and quietly prays or chant/sings for a few hours? Or maybe she needs a night-long stint of perpetual adoration. Good for the soul, and nice and quiet.

A nice way of saying--L-C--She's cute, but could you retire this particular emo? Just for me? To help my sanity (which is iffy already)? Please?

I bet she'd be REALLY cute and look like an angel, if we saw her sleeping peacefully in her cell.
[/quote]

:lol: No worries -- I shall retire her then. :nun:

:harp:

How's this one?

[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/Hildemv/0010.gif[/img]

HI-YAAA!

Or, actually, I really like this one quite a lot:

I need to practice being more graceful. Hahaha!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1282324307' post='2160642']

[/quote]

[quote name='JTheresa' timestamp='1282326274' post='2160662']
[/quote]

I made the ADD remark [b]entirely[/b] as a joke, and it was not intended to be a diagnosis. And, I don't know enough about how Orders choose among applicants to know whether ADD is an issue at [b]all[/b] in the application process. Plus, if I were trying to be accurate, I probably should have said "ADHD" since, as I understand it, those are the children/adults where there are behavior issues. (Forgive me if I have this wrong--I know very little about ADHD--or ADD, for that matter).

I think I have at least a mild case of ADD, but when I was a kid, ADD hadn't been "invented" yet. Also, I didn't have ADHD, so I didn't "act out," so no one noticed that I wasn't paying attention. And, I was bright enough that I could still get very good grades without paying attention. It took me until I was an adult to finally realize that I don't learn the same way most people do, so a standard classroom setting, even when I was in the "gifted" class, wasn't the best way for me to learn. I probably should have gone to something like a Montessori school. Sitting quietly and listening is the [b]least[/b] effective way for me to learn.

But, my father was on the public school board for almost all the years I was in school, and to give my public schools credit, they were outstanding--small classes (usually no more than 20 students), outstanding teachers, so few behavior problems I don't remember them, etc. I lived in a community where education was a VERY high priority, and roughly 99% of my high school graduating class went on for further education--at minimum, a 2-year college or specialized training. (I'm not exaggerating, because of my father's position on the school board, I saw the statistics.) And, this was before the time when public schools (at least the public schools I went to) tried to teach values (beyond "universal" ones such as not cheating on exams, being kind to others, "no fighting, no biting," etc), or even consider offering sex education. Because I lived in a very religiously diverse community--about 25% were Jewish, almost as many were Catholic, etc.--it was felt that it was the job of the home and parents to teach values.

BTW--The town where I grew up also had an excellent Catholic grade school, as well as several Catholic high schools within a reasonable distance--although not nearly as many Catholic high schools as there are in Chicago. The town I live in now has both a Jesuit, coed high school and a Dominican girl's high school. And, there is another Catholic girl's high school just a few miles away. (I'm not sure of the Order, but since its name is "St. Scholastica's," my guess is that it is Franciscan, but I don't know that for sure.)

Homeschooling wouldn't have worked for me for a couple of reasons. First off, once my younger sister started school, my mother went back to college herself (and this was before colleges offered special programs for "returning students"). So, she did it all on her own, and I respect her courage for "following her dream" and I'm very proud of her. It took her a LONG time, since she went only part-time, and essentially had to start "from scratch" with a AA from a junior college, but she eventually got her Master's in Library Science, and worked as a reference librarian at local junior college for many years and LOVED it.

But, perhaps more importantly, my mother and I did not get along well AT ALL, even when I was in grade school, so homeschooling would have been a nightmare for both of us. However, if there had been someone nearby with whom I got along well that was willing to homeschool me, I think I would have done very well being homeschooled. I could have gotten through a standard school year's curriculum in 4 or 5 months, and then we could have studied lots of other things that schools normally don't have time to teach. I was interested in almost everything--I used to read the encyclopedia for fun. It's just that I don't learn best by passively listening. With homeschooling I could have learned about many subjects that aren't normally taught until high school or college--not to say that I would have understood a college level class, but at least I could have studied subjects that often aren't offered until college, but at a more basic level. (BTW--My mother and I get along fine now, but it took many years.) But, when I was growing up, homeschooling was almost unheard of, and universities hadn't yet realized that homeschoolers do as well or better in college than students who go to public or private schools. In fact, at that time, I think (not positive about this), but some states did not allow children to be homeschooled--we've come a long way!

Sorry, to have rambled off-topic about this.

One question--I know almost nothing about homeschooling. Why do you say that homeschoolers with ADD are far more active and distractable than your average ADD kid? I'm not questioning your conclusion--just interested in your observation.

Thanks for your patience with my diversion to another subject. We return you now to your normal programming.....

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1282328955' post='2160679']
:lol: No worries -- I shall retire her then. :nun:

:harp:

How's this one?

[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/Hildemv/0010.gif[/img]

HI-YAAA!

Or, actually, I really like this one quite a lot:

I need to practice being more graceful. Hahaha!
[/quote]

I thank you, and my sanity thanks you. However, I suspect that others will disagree with me completely and LOVE the exuberant young nun.

And, I certainly DON'T want to stifle your own exuberance.

I like the other "young nun" emos, even the one throwing books. (Although, as a trained librarian, I never throw books--especially library books--it would seem like sacrilege or something.) But, maybe the books she's throwing are some of the books out there that are so stupid and unintelligent that they make you so angry and frustrated you feel like throwing them. And, I'll give her the "benefit of the doubt" that they are not library books--wait, as a nun, she doesn't own any books of her own. Well, I'll assume the books were worth throwing, not just some handy object.

Over the past few days I have often felt like throwing things at my computer--but never books! :ohno: I don't remember much about my Master's graduation, but I think I took an oath or something. :deal: :cool:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1282336082' post='2160744']
I thank you, and my sanity thanks you. However, I suspect that others will disagree with me completely and LOVE the exuberant young nun.

And, I certainly DON'T want to stifle your own exuberance.

I like the other "young nun" emos, even the one throwing books. (Although, as a trained librarian, I never throw books--especially library books--it would seem like sacrilege or something.) But, maybe the books she's throwing are some of the books out there that are so stupid and unintelligent that they make you so angry and frustrated you feel like throwing them. And, I'll give her the "benefit of the doubt" that they are not library books--wait, as a nun, she doesn't own any books of her own. Well, I'll assume the books were worth throwing, not just some handy object.

Over the past few days I have often felt like throwing things at my computer--but never books! :ohno: I don't remember much about my Master's graduation, but I think I took an oath or something. :deal: :cool:
[/quote]

I think perhaps she's throwing heretical books or something. I imagine her saying, "ANAAAAAAAAAAATHEMA!!!" then throwing them down in a violent fashion. :lol:

P.S. -- I would [b]love[/b] if all librarians took an oath to protect and promote books! Hahaha! :punk:

I think the best food was a tie between the leftover soup (Sr. Paskalina could make any leftovers into the best soup) and the Christmas cookies. Each sister received her own plate of homemade, hand decorated cookies. I loved the two years I was in the noviciate and was assigned to help bake the cookies. As for the worst - that's easy! We often had rotting food donated, and we had to cut away the mold, rot, and worms before cooking. The older sisters were more concerned with speed than accuracy, and we young 'uns would always find a nice, cooked worm somewhere in our Sunday peach pie. I have to say that I learned not to like pie... and maybe that was the point! We would attempt to take the smallest forkfulls, so as to find all the worms. That would end up taking so much time, that we would have to leave our pie half eaten. Oh well...

dominicansoul

[quote name='FSM Sister' timestamp='1282356685' post='2160879']
I think the best food was a tie between the leftover soup (Sr. Paskalina could make any leftovers into the best soup) and the Christmas cookies. Each sister received her own plate of homemade, hand decorated cookies. I loved the two years I was in the noviciate and was assigned to help bake the cookies. As for the worst - that's easy! We often had rotting food donated, and we had to cut away the mold, rot, and worms before cooking. The older sisters were more concerned with speed than accuracy, and we young 'uns would always find a nice, cooked worm somewhere in our Sunday peach pie. I have to say that I learned not to like pie... and maybe that was the point! We would attempt to take the smallest forkfulls, so as to find all the worms. That would end up taking so much time, that we would have to leave our pie half eaten. Oh well...
[/quote]

:shock:

wow. worms in the pie. talk about saving souls! :nun:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='FSM Sister' timestamp='1282356685' post='2160879']
[/quote]

You are a far better person than I will ever be! The "Diet of Worms" had nothing to do with food!

Okay, a few of my always curious questions---Did the congregations supporting your Community know that you were eating food with worms in it? From your description, your Order sounds Eastern European in background, and from the Eastern European Catholics I've met, if they had known you were eating worms, there would have been casseroles donated every day to the Sisters--the Eastern European Catholics I've met seem to love to feed people! But, maybe the Order would, in turn, have donated those casseroles to the poor, and gone back to eating the donations of rotting food for themselves. (And, I confess, having grown up with a different diet, sometimes I found Eastern European food to be heavy and hard on my stomach, although it was usually delicious.)

I felt very good when I read that the Catholic church a few blocks from me has a women's guild whose only mission is to make sure that all the needs of the elderly nuns in the convent across the street from where I live are met. For example, they drive the elderly Sisters to doctor's appointments, and knowing my town, the doctors are probably members of the very large Catholic congregation, and donate their services. When the convent needed an elevator because the third floor is essentially a nursing home for very ill Sisters, the Sisters went to Bill Murray, the actor, who grew up two blocks from where I live. He and his 7 or 8 brothers and sisters were taught by this Order in the nearby parish school (and I expect Bill Murray was a terror!) It goes without saying that Bill Murray did donate the necessary funds to pay for the installation of the elevator. (One of his sisters still lives in the house the family grew up in, so he stays in touch with his old neighborhood.) Most of the Sisters in this Community live into their 90's--it is rare to read a death notice of a Sister who is younger than 90. They had a recent Jubilee celebration for about 7 or 8 Sisters, and the YOUNGEST was celebrating her 65th Jubilee. Most were celebrating their 75th Jubilees, and at least one was celebrating her 80th!

Sorry, I got sidetracked again.....

The funny thing is that, if the worms in the peach pie were cooked, they probably were not bad for you. But, I can fully understand why peach pie no longer appeals to you. Very sad, because fresh peach pie is wonderful!!!! And, because it has fresh peaches, I can pretend I am eating healthy food! LOL