An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

Best? Standing around the monastery kitchen snacking on Sr. Stephanie's whole grain muffins and indulging in homemade salsa and chips.

But it wasn't just the taste of the food, it was sharing it with the sisters. After all, its the people that make a meal special.

blessings, linnie

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1755088' date='Jan 19 2009, 04:24 AM'][b]worst[/b]: authentic Polish sausage meal in Poland.[/quote]

Whaaat??? You never ate my grandmothers' (both of them) cooking, obviously!

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

my first Polish sausage was their original kiobalsa dinner with the Seraphic Polish Sisters in San Antonio....

...i spent the entire night in the bathroom....my stomach was NOT used to it!

another convent memory:

actually SERVING the Sisters their meal....I was very very nervous....

i burned Sr. JP's hand with the coffee pot!!! When I went to Mother A with this little news, she laughed out loud....! :lol:

• 9 months later...

So anymore to add to this thread I like it...
my best desert was when we made homemade ice cream and baked Alaska with our novice mistress.

my best food dish was dogs in a bun

worse one was the left over food sometimes which was reheated or the prunes and barley on Good Friday

and everything else I used to help me so it wasnt too baD!

When I went to visit the PCPA in Portsmouth, Sister Marie Ste. Claire made these amazing cheddar and ham biscuits for breakfast. I had to have the recipe so I could go home and make them!

The worst? Hmmm. Brussel sprouts. Hands down. LOL

laetitia crucis

[quote name='the lords sheep' date='13 January 2009 - 03:52 PM' timestamp='1231872738' post='1750243']
Worst? I had some pretty odd things in the orphange in Argentina with the Servants of the Lord... the very worst was boiled tripe (cow's stomach).
[/quote]

Ah! I was wondering what the English translation of a cow's stomach would be! All I knew was the Spanish translation and the fact that we should be very grateful that we live in American formation houses... :lol:

laetitia crucis

Okay, so I've just read through all of these and have definitely laughed a lot! (Especially in regards to the cornflakes!)

So, I suppose my worst food experience was during my first year as a professed sister -- we had just received a rather abundant donation of vegetables, which as needless to say, a good portion of these veggies were quite rotten. So that day, I was one of the lucky ones chosen to sort the veggies. (Actually, despite the yuckiness, I find it somewhat enjoyable. Almost like watching a really gruesome surgery. You just can't help yourself!)

I was given a box of zucchinis to sort through. Basically, if at least SOME part of the vegetable (or fruit) is salvageable then you cut off the bad parts and keep whatever's left. (Personally, I really appreciated living that way with our donations. O Lady Poverty!) So, I'm going through my disintegrating box of zucchinis and get to the bottom and spot what looks to be this nice plump zucchini. I go in to pick it up and as soon as I touch it, KA-BOOM! The zucchini EXPLODED!!! (To say the least, I was SO grateful to be wearing an apron over my habit that day...) I almost couldn't believe it. My first thought: "Well, that zucchini has definitely lost its substantial form..." :blink:

I never knew zucchinis could explode. :twitch:

Anyhoooo.

The best food? :eat: Hmmm... Sr. M. Ludwina of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate makes some amazing pansit (Philippine noodle dish)!

I think I also had the best PB&J sandwich from a SMME "Come & See" a few years ago. De-lect-able.

SSVMs also know how to make GREAT pizza from scratch. Even with all the random donations on top, it's still (usually) turns out quite tasty!

And Sr. Regina, CFR makes a mean Italian spinach soup. :twothumbsup:

And...
[quote]...This was at St. Dominic's priory. I'm not going to mention the puddings because there are only three places left in the choir and I want Dutch girls in them so we can make a foundation back here. :) [/quote]

I'll let you know about those puddings after I return from my visit next month! :D

Oh my! The exploding zucchini made me spew my soda all over myself! LOLOL I couldn't stop laughing!

I love it!

But I have a question and I'm sure it was answered some place else but what is the issue with not spelling c h e e s e correctly? What happens? Or should I just attempt to do so and find out for myself?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='HisChild' date='01 November 2009 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1257116500' post='1994915']
Oh my! The exploding zucchini made me spew my soda all over myself! LOLOL I couldn't stop laughing!

I love it!

But I have a question and I'm sure it was answered some place else but what is the issue with not spelling c h e e s e correctly? What happens? Or should I just attempt to do so and find out for myself?
[/quote]

Despite the "gross" factor of the exploded zucchini, I must admit I did find great amusement in it... honestly, I'm glad there were other sisters around to witness it! (Although the sister next to me didn't take it so well... :hehe: Haha!) :twothumbsup: Makes me wish I had it on camera!

I was also wondering about this c h e e s e thing...

coagulated milk... (Okay... I just waited a few seconds hoping it would somehow change into "coagulated milk" before my very eyes, but so far nothing has happened. I guess it happens after you post...)

coagulated milk testing...

laetitia crucis

Ah... so it changes into "coagulated milk" AFTER posting.

Now I know. :gradtalk:

Is somebody lactose intolerant? :coagulated milk:

:))

Edit: Aww, that c h e e s e emoticon is so disappointing. :sadder:

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 November 2009 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1257117453' post='1994923']
Ah... so it changes into "coagulated milk" AFTER posting.

Now I know. :gradtalk:

Is somebody lactose intolerant? :coagulated milk:

:))

Edit: Aww, that c h e e s e emoticon is so disappointing. :sadder:
[/quote]

LC! It's :cheeese:

:rolling:

Edit Phooey! I copied it and it still doesn't work! :thumbdown:

Edited by HisChild

laetitia crucis

OOOOOOH -- THREE "e"s! :doh: :lol_pound:

:cheeese: :cheeese: :cheeese: