An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='03 November 2009 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1257261290' post='1995668']
Yeah, but a long time ago by now. Visited all of the orthodox Franciscan orders that I was familiar with and ended up going back to the FPOs a couple more times so they couldn't have been that bad. hehe. Did you discern them or are you interested atm? Or do you maybe have a problem with them? lulz.
[/quote]

Oh, no, definitely no problem! I just think they're awesome is all. What I've heard anyway. One of the friars visited OLAM not long before I entered, and gave the sisters a lesson, which the sisters said was amazing. He talked about the Rosary and being with Our Lady and Jesus, apparently. I was always hoping they'd be back, but they never did while I was there.

I haven't discerned with them though. But I love good Franciscans.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='03 November 2009 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1257271399' post='1995726']
I was wondering if you would say anything about the slimy OLAM okra. I have it in my blood to like that stuff, cause I'm from the south, but I know it's pretty repulsive to just about everyone else.
[/quote]

Yeah. See, that is just so far beyond my comprehension I can't even tell you. :lol: I can't understand how anyone could possibly like the stuff. It always amazed me how excited Sr. Sharbel got when we had okra. :blink:

And making it... eww... all the sudden it looks like its starting to sweat or something... all the slime. :shock: Although Sr. Mary Rose started frying it sometimes, which wasn't so bad... not as slimy anyway. :lol:

Edited by zunshynn

Indwelling Trinity

Hmmm... For me the definite worst was Missionary of Charity food. Lots of Moldyy bread where you stripped off the mold and ate it with a little bit of oil to make it go down; occasional rodent dropping infested rice. Veggies and fish begged from the open Market that was unsaleable. We cut out the bad part and boiled the rest. Meat consisted of liver a couple of times a month and Laughing... the Superior of the novitiate had this penchant for buying chicken feet for soup! When the soup came down the table, We novices could just not halp laughing and would take the feet and pull on the tendons to make them look like they were walking in the table! Genarally 90% of MC food required a dead palatte.

Not complaining though because we were happy to share in the poverty of the poor. But as novices do... we just had fun!

As for Carmel the food was pretty decent but plain on most counts except for pizza nights. Although one Carmel I was in had a benefactor who donated fish as he owned a fish store... Shrimp galore! On the penitential side for me, Reverend Mother liked saltine crackers in tepid milk for collation. I would always all but gag with eah spoonful all the while trying not to show it. Also hard boiled eggs i do not naturally like and one day at dinner we there was a sign on the bowl to take two hard boiled eggs. I took only one,....Laughing when I got back to my place in the refectory Mother had already put two more eggs at my place with a little note saying "EAT THEM!" That was the last time i ever tried not to obey the road signs LOL. I sat in the refectory choking them down while the rest went up for midday office.

My Motto in the refectory: When in doubt, OBEY or suffer the consequences! I can't help but laughing at it all after all these years! They were very happy years to be sure!

Indwelling Trinity

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

dominicansoul

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='03 November 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1257271319' post='1995722']
I concur about the food up there at the Daughters of St. Paul. The four summers I was up there it was awesome. And I know Sr. Augusta too! We went on a few walks together. She taught me how to peel garlic, and couldn't get the smell off my hands for a week. I miss her so much.
[/quote]

How is Sr. Augusta doing??? And Sr. Carmen Christi! Man, I feel like I haven't been there in forever!!! I haven't spoken to them in a long time...

Yes, the food there was the best!! And I loved the refectory...it reminded me of my catholic school cafeteria...

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='03 November 2009 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1257306255' post='1995946']
Okrie is great fried, which is better than the slimy version! Okrie!
[/quote]

I concur! :twothumbsup:

Breaded and fried. I used to think okra was pretty gross until I had it this way. Thank you, southern cooking! Haha!

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='04 November 2009 - 09:33 AM' timestamp='1257345228' post='1996071']
How is Sr. Augusta doing??? And Sr. Carmen Christi! Man, I feel like I haven't been there in forever!!! I haven't spoken to them in a long time...

Yes, the food there was the best!! And I loved the refectory...it reminded me of my catholic school cafeteria...
[/quote]

I don't know how they are doing. After I stopped discerning with them I couldn't really get a hold of them anymore :-p

I've only visisted one community... My favorite dish was this mix of leftover fruit and vegetables and whatever else: "misca Francesca." Yum!
Even though I was a little worried at first about a few of the foods we ate (due to appearance), they all were really good! I'm not sure if it's a nun thing or a Franciscan thing, but the order I visited tended to mix everything!
Nothing was bad, except the sisters always fed the visitors SOOO MUCH food! :) They also boiled their okra-- okra should only be fried, if you ask me.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Agnes' date='08 November 2009 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1257731923' post='1998570']
I've only visisted one community... My favorite dish was this mix of leftover fruit and vegetables and whatever else: "misca Francesca." Yum!
Even though I was a little worried at first about a few of the foods we ate (due to appearance), they all were really good! I'm not sure if it's a nun thing or a Franciscan thing, but the order I visited tended to mix everything!
Nothing was bad, except the sisters always fed the visitors SOOO MUCH food! :) They also boiled their okra-- okra should only be fried, if you ask me.
[/quote]

The mixing of the food -- I've wondered the same thing! :think: The order I was with (not Franciscan) did this, but I guess it just depends on how each community/order interprets "poverty" in the food they have... :idontknow: (Perhaps some orders mix more than others to "spread" the leftovers?) :lol:

And maybe for some good ol' mortification of the senses. ;)

The sister that I worked with in the kitchen at OLAM was amazing when it came to figuring out what to do with leftovers. The week after thanksgiving was full of adventures.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='09 November 2009 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1257816628' post='1999241']
The sister that I worked with in the kitchen at OLAM was amazing when it came to figuring out what to do with leftovers. The week after thanksgiving was full of adventures.
[/quote]

Who was the head of the kitchen when you were there?

[quote name='zunshynn' date='09 November 2009 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1257816628' post='1999241']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='09 November 2009 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1257822087' post='1999291']
[/quote]

While I was working in there it was Sr. Mary Rose (and she still is, as far as I know)... before that it was Sr. Marie Therese.

X 3 :P

Edited by zunshynn

dominicansoul

oh yes! The mixing of the leftovers!

I remember table waiting, and we had to eat what ever our sisters hadn't eaten during the regular meal. We ran out of food, and the kitchen sister suggested I check out the fridge for leftovers. There was a small tub holding some sort of rice/vegetable/mix of what we had eaten all week. I took that, and the kitchen sister was happy to get rid of it.

I emptied the container onto a plate...it was still shaped like the container, I popped it into the microwave, and it came out still the same shape of the container. It was pretty heavy and there was a whole lot of it. Sr. Mary Michael murmured..."don't eat all that..." but I didn't pay attention. I took my plate to where the rest of the table waiters were having dinner, and the Sisters, although we were in silence, couldn't keep their laughter in...I amused them throughout the meal, as I polished it off in 5 minutes! (I was sooo hungry!)