An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best/worst In Convent Food

dominicansoul

WORST FOOD

* A Benedictine order had some weird seafood mixture (clam, oyster, lobster, maybe squid, etc.) They had some foreign man working in their kitchen. Totally grossed me out!

* Most of the food with the FI Sisters. They are big on poverty. But I can't complain about their great supply of fruits; yummy soups; etc. They had a funny name for their food: something like "Musgo food" for "everything must go" because they just throw everything they have together!

* An order had hot dogs just about all the time. I got soooo sick of them. And sometimes they had lamb; I didn't care for it.

BEST FOOD

* Visitation Sisters had delicious food because I was there on feast days and some celebrations. Pizza was shipped in from out of state; they had steak; cheeses and coldcuts; yummy sticky buns one morning; etc.

* A certain carmelite order had delicious food at one of their convents, as they had a very good lay chef that came in. Yummy chicken, gravy and mashed potato dinners. Beef and gravy. Yummy simple desserts. Yummy breakfasts with meat, eggs, etc. It just felt like I was at home.

LaPetiteSoeur

The Fe.lic..ian.s have DELICIOUS soup. O my goodness. So good.

My old teachers made delicious homemade pirogues. And potatoe pancakes. Yum, Polish food.

I know the rectory isn't a convent, but our church garden has the largest, reddest, most delictable tomatoes ever. I could eat them everyday.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1296683436' post='2207916']
WORST FOOD

* A Benedictine order had some weird seafood mixture (clam, oyster, lobster, maybe squid, etc.) They had some foreign man working in their kitchen. Totally grossed me out!

[/quote]

Was he Canadian? They gross me out too!

franciscanheart

I had the best curry in the whole wide world when I visited the CRFs in NYC. I can't for the life of me remember which of the sisters made it but it was so delish. And the best part was that all the ingredients of course came from the same pantry that feeds the homeless. (Well, most all of them. The sisters do get to use some ingredients that just aren't practical for the pantry.)

franciscanheart

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1296684752' post='2207926']
Was he Canadian? They gross me out too!
[/quote]
:P

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1296684984' post='2207931']
He was something like Korean, or along those lines.
[/quote]

Korean? KIMCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! :dance: Which reminds me of Laetitia Crucis (who is half Korean) and I wonder how much liver meatloaf she has had to eat?

I suppose I'm lucky; I have never had bad food.
As for the best... I don't know. Lunch with the local FSPs is great; Sr. Agnes is Sicilian and her bread and sauce and spaghetti was amesome!
But, the SsEWs can [i]coook[/i]!!! Consistently well. Everything I ate while there was great (except the cookies...tough little hockey pucks... but those were pre-packaged donated deals.) It's a tie.

dominicansoul

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1296685775' post='2207940']
Korean? KIMCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! :dance: Which reminds me of Laetitia Crucis (who is half Korean) and I wonder how much liver meatloaf she has had to eat?
[/quote]

liver meatloaf FTW!!!!!

Of all the things that scare me about religious life - this is number 1. I am the pickiest eater in the world. My mother was a terrible cook (I'm not speaking out of school - she will admit it herself!). My biggest fear is mac and coagulated milk - the very smell of which turns my stomach. No matter how hard I try or how much I want to "offer it up" I could not eat mac and coagulated milk - or grilled coagulated milk or anything with coagulated milk except pizza (don't ask - I have no idea why). When I visited the cloistered Dominicans a few weeks ago I actually brought some food with me in case I hated theirs. I was in luck - they had very nice food - some choices (sandwiches) so I didn't have to eat anything I didn't like. I didn't even have to offer anything up. I brought them a whole bunch of cookies from Cheryl's (great mail order gifts) as a bribe to not make me eat food I didn't like. Turns out it wasn't necessary - healthy, wholesome, traditional food. Now I worry about the 2 visits I have coming up in a few weeks. Time to order more Cheryl's.

This is so weird - this website changes the word ch**se to "coagulated milk" By ch**se I mean the yellow stuff on pizza

Edited by ksterling

MissScripture

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1296924640' post='2209032']
Of all the things that scare me about religious life - this is number 1. I am the pickiest eater in the world. My mother was a terrible cook (I'm not speaking out of school - she will admit it herself!). My biggest fear is mac and coagulated milk - the very smell of which turns my stomach. No matter how hard I try or how much I want to "offer it up" I could not eat mac and coagulated milk - or grilled coagulated milk or anything with coagulated milk except pizza (don't ask - I have no idea why). When I visited the cloistered Dominicans a few weeks ago I actually brought some food with me in case I hated theirs. I was in luck - they had very nice food - some choices (sandwiches) so I didn't have to eat anything I didn't like. I didn't even have to offer anything up. I brought them a whole bunch of cookies from Cheryl's (great mail order gifts) as a bribe to not make me eat food I didn't like. Turns out it wasn't necessary - healthy, wholesome, traditional food. Now I worry about the 2 visits I have coming up in a few weeks. Time to order more Cheryl's.

This is so weird - this website changes the word ch**se to "coagulated milk" By ch**se I mean the yellow stuff on pizza
[/quote]
My sister is proof that joining the convent changes your taste buds, or you get the grace to eat it or SOMETHING! When she left for the convent, she could not eat lettuce. Something about the texture was just that she couldn't do it, and she never had. She wouldn't eat mushrooms. Seafood made her sick. She couldn't stand tea. That was in August. When I went to visit her in December, she told me she eats salad ever day and enjoys it. She loves mushrooms. They even had a seafood bake one day, and she thought it was delicious. And she drinks (and loves) sweet tea! So, in a nutshell, while it's something to think about, when you join a convent, somehow, it will work! Don't worry about it, too much! ;)

That is sooooo reassuring, MS - Nashville is on my list although I'm having trouble scheduling a visit. I hate seafood too. If the NDs can turn a seafood hater into a seafood lover, they are truly miracle workers! Thankfully, I like lettuce.

Kat

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

Alcohol is offered at convents, but of course, in respectable amounts, Sisters aren't lushes...

I discovered some of the best beers while being in the convent.

One of the beer favorites at the DSMME? Labatt Blue :love: I had never had it, and I had never tasted anything like it...those "piney hops" are the best!